Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 05:53 AM   #2176
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

But how does he even remember George??

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:54 AM   #2177
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
What was fascinating about her, the wrinkles on her nose?
She was just a fun flirty character with a bad streak. I liked that.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:54 AM   #2178
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
But how does he even remember George??
Recordings, I'm sure.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:58 AM   #2179
Captain59
Fleet Captain

I liked seeing the model of the NX-01. I'm still waiting to see a Denoblian, though.

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Captain59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:59 AM   #2180
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Damn it, I want to see it again. Now.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:10 AM   #2181
throwback
Captain

I think one of the issues with copy-and-paste with modifiers, as the ending appears to be, is that in the process context was lost. How long did Kirk and Scotty know Spock by the time of his sacrifice? At least twenty years. For the new Star Trek, both Kirk and Scotty know Spock for a year. A year is not the same as twenty years. The emotional connection is not as deep.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:23 AM   #2182
Blue_Trek
Captain

Gave it a B+, on par with the last one, it seems in this universe the Federation is advancing faster technologically. I really like the end scene with all the connections to the TOS.

Should do well at the box office great popcorn flick
Old May 16 2013, 06:28 AM   #2183
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
I really like the end scene with all the connections to the TOS.
I thought the segue from Kirk's speech to the infamous monologue was forced and didn't come off well.
Old May 16 2013, 06:34 AM   #2184
GMDreia
Commander

slappy wrote: View Post
I would really like for Khan to have said that Marcus ordered facial reconstruction surgery and voice modification. That would explain how he looks and sounds pretty easily. The accent....well he just likes the accent and keeps it.
Maybe that'll be explained in the novelization?
Old May 16 2013, 06:48 AM   #2185
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Tentatively thinking this is A- material -- right on par with the first one. I'll be seeing it two more times, though. For now I want to keep things short and sweet like that, but I'll be posting a full-fledged review on another site after the second viewing tomorrow and I'll share it here as well.

Damn fine flick, let down by several nagging little issues. Great banter and a much stronger antagonist(s) though. Bit disappointed with certain pacing issues compared with the first one and a setup that feels like two steps back from the previous movie's epilogue.
Old May 16 2013, 06:53 AM   #2186
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
I actually flinched when an arrow flew out at the audience.

Sparky wrote: View Post
Ah, hoping for a good use of the 3D glasses.
The 3D glasses I got were bigger than usual. The rims are no longer in my field of vision.
Old May 16 2013, 07:02 AM   #2187
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Squiggy wrote: View Post
FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

I loved the dialogue they *admittedly* stole from TWoK. It makes sense that the same people would say the same words to describe the same things.

And Spock screaming "Khan" was just fun. You don't like it, meh...you're a joyless prod who isn't going to like anything so why even bother trying to entertain you?
Good point. But you know, in TWOK Spock said, "the ship... out of danger?" In this, Kirk says, "our ship." That just made me feel all warm and gooey inside.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:05 AM   #2188
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cumberbatch is note perfect. Having now seen the movie I'm not as convinced as I was before that Khan will feature in the third movie, but he'll be back without a doubt - and when he is, I hope Cumberbatch plays him again.

That will be epic.

Other quick notes:
  • They do not "cure death" - that's bullshit;
  • Warp distance to Kronos is not "two minutes" - that's bullshit;
  • They won't soon be "beaming from one star system to the next" again - that's bullshit;
  • The Enterprise has one hell of a warp core - for the first time ever it looks real and as if it could be something that powers a huge spaceship, rather than a sculture spilling useless blue light on to the set.

Wow. Tremendous movie. I've got no complaints.
Yay! Come and join us on this side of the couch. We have cold beer and party favors!
Old May 16 2013, 07:11 AM   #2189
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I can finally come in here!!

I went in expecting to dislike it. The one thing I DID know was about Harrison. Why rehash a perfectly good movie? Wasn't the idea of the reboot to have fresh new stories? What the hell was wrong with the writers? Why destroy Romulus and Vulcan to write the same old shit? Grr, right?

So I went dutifully as a long-term Trek fan. I didn't like Kirk last movie, in fact, I disliked him. Spock was too emo. Uhura too edgy for my liking.

I LOVED this movie. Does it have flaws? Of course. Is is very derivative of other movies/series? Yes. Did it matter? Surprisingly, it did not.

This time, I *cared* about the characters and I can see this Kirk being Kirk. Spock - well Spock has been changed due to his experiences in this timeline and it fits now. Uhura was softened. Harrison was a great villain, for a while you even liked him, just a bit, or at least sympathized.

I didn't see the twist coming near the end, but my husband did. So I'm dumb. I also was unspoiled about everything other than Harrison's identity. And who the hell know Nimoy would be in it, however briefly?

They hit it out of the park, this time. I can't wait for the next one. I hated to see it end.

My husband, however, was unimpressed. It was too similar to WOK for his liking. I thought I'd feel that way but I don't.

A+ from me.

P.S. The sequence of planets at the end was great. SO glad I went to see it in 3D. I normally would not have, but I was greedy and wanted to see it tonight.
That's exactly how I felt about it. I can see the flaws. I empathise with the (intelligent) reviews that list its failings. But I was so damned fond of them all by the end I didn't care.

Repetition becomes homage, mistakes become quirks, faults become eccentricities... it's like... Love.
Old May 16 2013, 07:17 AM   #2190
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
So I went dutifully as a long-term Trek fan. I didn't like Kirk last movie, in fact, I disliked him.

This time, I *cared* about the characters and I can see this Kirk being Kirk.
Same here. I thought nuKirk was just interested in command at any cost. I just didn't like him in ST09. I like him better here. I even forgive Scotty for being a goofball.

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm (again) impressed by how Quinto's body language is so TOS Spock. The slight hunch, the stiffness, the way he stands off to the side and tilts his head. He's obviously studied Nimoy's Spock closely. He looks a little more awkward but NuSpock is also younger so that makes sense too.
I thought when they hopped in Mudd's shuttle that instead of looking like a smuggler, Spock looked very stiff much like a Starfleet Officer on duty. And then it hit me Quinto was playing Spock like Nimoy did when he was in civies in TOS. Usually very uncomfortable and unbelievable when trying deception.

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
I Invite eeryone[sic] to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.
Sorry, have seen that dozens of times (I own a copy, of course) and know it well. You exaggerate its virtues far beyond the modest sentimental impact of the thing (and "Amazing Grace" evoked a couple of groans from the opening night crowd at KB MacArthur in June of 1982 - puh-lease).

That has no bearing at all on how good this movie is - and it's very, very good. It's as much "Real Trek" as that thirty year-old, good but limited film was. Frankly, most of these actors are better than most of those actors and they're allowed to show more range.
I love this movie. I gave it an A+ but I'm amazed you can say TWOK was not well acted and limited. They are two very good movies. I prefer TWOK and always will but that does not take away from this movie.
I think the better comparison is between this movie and 'Space Seed' and how awesome TOS Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura and especially McCoy were when dealing with Khan. There was no crying and giving in to enemy demands. And these are different times and its OK to cry now. I just remember how fantastic McCoy was when Khan held a knife to his neck. No wonder original Khan respected them
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote