RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,716
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 601
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 05:22 AM   #2146
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:23 AM   #2147
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
JJ If I want to Watch Khan done Right I'll watch the original, I have about 42 times already I'd like to see some originality...
Apparently not.

I know most disagree but I always thought TWOK was clunky and over rated.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:27 AM   #2148
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I Invite eeryone[sic] to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.
Sorry, have seen that dozens of times (I own a copy, of course) and know it well. You exaggerate its virtues far beyond the modest sentimental impact of the thing (and "Amazing Grace" evoked a couple of groans from the opening night crowd at KB MacArthur in June of 1982 - puh-lease).

That has no bearing at all on how good this movie is - and it's very, very good. It's as much "Real Trek" as that thirty year-old, good but limited film was. Frankly, most of these actors are better than most of those actors and they're allowed to show more range.
Oh Good God I'll take Shatner-Nimoy-Kelly any day over any of these new actors, i like how the originals are being marginlized now.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:29 AM   #2149
teacake
Admiral

Marginalized?

Yeah you are so right, Shatner should have starred in this film.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:29 AM   #2150
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TWOK is a brilliant film, within limits. It's probably the only Trek film of the 1979-1992 period other than possibly ST 4 that's really remembered by non-trekkies. I think the script, the direction and the production design all maximize the very circumscribed resources with which it was made - and it's for that reason as much as any other that it comes closest of any of them to representing the essence of the original TV series.

...I'll take Shatner-Nimoy-Kelly any day over any of these new actors.
You go right ahead and do that.
Old May 16 2013, 05:31 AM   #2151
Jolaris
Commander

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I Invite eeryone[sic] to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.
Sorry, have seen that dozens of times (I own a copy, of course) and know it well. You exaggerate its virtues far beyond the modest sentimental impact of the thing (and "Amazing Grace" evoked a couple of groans from the opening night crowd at KB MacArthur in June of 1982 - puh-lease).

That has no bearing at all on how good this movie is - and it's very, very good. It's as much "Real Trek" as that thirty year-old, good but limited film was. Frankly, most of these actors are better than most of those actors and they're allowed to show more range.
Oh Good God I'll take Shatner-Nimoy-Kelly any day over any of these new actors, i like how the originals are being marginlized now.
Shatner? Maybe. But he's the Shat he'll survive it.
Nimoy? Since Spock Prime was essential to the resolution of the movie, not so much.
Kelley? Considering how much Carl Urban was channeling him in STiD I think he is smiling in whatever place he is now.

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:32 AM   #2152
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Dennis:

I know, right? You think YOU were surprised? So was I!

I may have to turn in my cynic card now...

Agent Richard07:

Kirk's death at the end rang hollow. We haven't spent enough time with these characters to really appreciate a moment like that. It looked exactly like what they were trying to do… Ape The Wrath of Khan. Plus who didn't know that Khan's blood would save the day?
- I hated Kirk last movie. The death scene made me cry (also cried when they killed off Pike...BASTARDS....he was so friggin' hot. )

- Um, er, I missed that. My husband said he knew, but I was going, "They can't kill off Kirk, can they? There's another movie, right?"

I loved McCoy. He's just as good as the original and I'm a big fan of DeForest Kelley.

How the fuck did I miss a Mudd reference? FUCK...where was it?

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:32 AM   #2153
teacake
Admiral

I find TWOK clunky and erratic.

I do of course own it and have seen it at least 20 times. And I do prefer Montalban to Cumberbatch in the role but that is 100% on the writers not the acting. Give Cumberbatch more development, more to do! Hopefully we get that next time around.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:35 AM   #2154
teacake
Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I hated Kirk last movie. The death scene made me cry (also cried when they killed off Pike...BASTARDS....he was so friggin' hot. )
I will be interested to know if you find Kirk in 09 more appealing after this one. And yeah Pike was SO HOT ! I was really enjoying just staring at him.
- Um, er, I missed that. My husband knew but I was going, "They can't kill off Kirk, can they? There's another movie, right?"
I actually did wonder if they were going to do it for reals, if this was XII's Vulcan. It upset me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:36 AM   #2155
Jolaris
Commander

Dennis:

I know, right? You think YOU were surprised? So was I!

I may have to turn in my cynic card now...

Agent Richard07:

Kirk's death at the end rang hollow. We haven't spent enough time with these characters to really appreciate a moment like that. It looked exactly like what they were trying to do… Ape The Wrath of Khan. Plus who didn't know that Khan's blood would save the day?
- I hated Kirk last movie. The death scene made me cry (also cried when they killed off Pike...BASTARDS....he was so friggin' hot. )

- Um, er, I missed that. My husband said he knew, but I was going, "They can't kill off Kirk, can they? There's another movie, right?"

I loved McCoy. He's just as good as the original and I'm a big fan of DeForest Kelley.

Yeah, I don't think I ever cried to a Star Trek movie before, and one second later I was laughing out loud.

They got hold of that freighter they used to get onto Qo'nos during "The Mudd Incident", it was just before he talked to Mr. Cupcake if I am not mistaken.

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:36 AM   #2156
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sulu has a voice-over ordering the crew to prepare "the cargo vessel left aboard after the Mudd incident" for Kirk, Spock and Uhura's use to go after Khan on Kronos.

The Countdown To Darkness comic claims that it belonged to another Mudd, but that's not part of onscreen canon and can be ignored.
Old May 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #2157
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Yeah, as they're walking down and just before they talk to cupcake they say something about the mudd incident, I missed it too first time.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #2158
teacake
Admiral

Why the heck would they have it be another Mudd?

Also Cupcake has lost a lot of weight.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #2159
controlfreak
Commander

Solid A. The characterizations were pitch perfect. Though I would have preferred it not to be a Khan story, I did like how they did it and they did it well.
Old May 16 2013, 05:39 AM   #2160
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
And I do prefer Montalban to Cumberbatch in the role but that is 100% on the writers not the acting. Give Cumberbatch more development, more to do! Hopefully we get that next time around.
I think that Khan's speech in his cell describing how Marcus used threats to his "family" to control him was stronger, more human dramatic material to work with than all the "beloved wife" and Melville-quoting "from Hell's heart I stab at thee!" that Montalban was given to chew on.