New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 04:28 AM   #2116
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'm (again) impressed by how Quinto's body language is so TOS Spock. The slight hunch, the stiffness, the way he stands off to the side and tilts his head. He's obviously studied Nimoy's Spock closely. He looks a little more awkward but NuSpock is also younger so that makes sense too.

And I lol'd at that Kirk moment as well Dennis, perfect delivery too.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:29 AM   #2117
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
So I went dutifully as a long-term Trek fan. I didn't like Kirk last movie, in fact, I disliked him. Spock was too emo. Uhura too edgy for my liking.

I LOVED this movie.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:31 AM   #2118
Agent Richard07
Retired

B+

A fun spectacle of a summer movie with lots of action, special effects and a bit of Trek thrown in.

The Absolutely Awsome…

- Khan. I like what they did with the character in this continuity and he was every bit the intelligent menacing villain I expect him to be. Plus, I really got a kick out of Cumberbatch and his superdramatic stage enunciation as he spoke. He really played the part to perfection. I hope we see Khan again, but with a movie every three or four years, I don't know if we will. Even if he just gets a small part I'd be happy, like a Hannibal Lecter sort of role.

- Kirk and Khan working together. Oh man!

- Future Earth. Very lavish on a big budget.

- The Transporter effects. I like the swirling effect and seeing people move about as they're being transported.

- Scotty.

- Action on foot. I loved seeing a chase through the streets of San Fransisco. It was so anti-Trek. Who thought we'd ever see Spock chasing Khan through the mall?

The Disappointing…

- Same soundtrack as the first movie.

- A weak story. It was fun and innovative in a lot of respects, but it was more of a summer blockbuster plot than a real story.

- Some of the humor fell flat.

- The 3D was hit or miss.

- Too many uniform variations and not enough of the TOS ones.

- Kirk's death at the end rang hollow. We haven't spent enough time with these characters to really appreciate a moment like that. It looked exactly like what they were trying to do… Ape The Wrath of Khan. Plus who didn't know that Khan's blood would save the day?

Fascinating…

- Looked like Praxis has impacted Kronos. Mining disaster came early in this timeline.

- I was disappointed that Christine Chapel wasn't going to be in this, but I like the reference that we got. She was with Kirk this time around. Way to go Jim! I hope they have bigger plans for her down the road. That will mke up for her not being around.

In Closing…

I wasn't blown away, but I quite enjoyed the ride and look forward to seeing this in 2D. I also look forward to seeing where they go with Carol Marcus. Is there a David in their future?

Now on to read these 2000+ posts.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:34 AM   #2119
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I can't think of any worthwhile reason to bring Christine Chapel back into Star Trek at this point. She was a minor character in TOS, an occasional walk-on in a few of the old TOS-based movies, and they have a growing cast for this version already what with Doctor Marcus being added. They've more than adequately served her legacy by name-checking her. Maybe they can do the same with Rand at some point.

Oh, did I mention "A+"?

Carry on.
Old May 16 2013, 04:35 AM   #2120
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness’: A cast of young stars advances franchise with smarts, flair

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingo...6b8_story.html

With every element so clearly put in place and the “Star Trek” vernacular so lovingly preserved and elaborated, the biggest challenge facing the filmmakers — especially screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof — is to make sure that subsequent stories deepen what they have built, rather than just pile on more effects and stunts. Thankfully, “Star Trek Into Darkness” leaves the hatch open to countless possibilities, whether brand-new story lines or visits to familiar faces and places from the past. With the franchise now securely underway, it’s reassuring to know that Abrams and his team have the con.
Old May 16 2013, 04:39 AM   #2121
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I thought the soundtrack was the same, and it definitely used a lot of notes from it but listening to it now (and several times already) it has a lot of great stuff.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:42 AM   #2122
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There was a lot of new music.
Old May 16 2013, 04:46 AM   #2123
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Yes, there was. And of course they're going to rehash the theme from the last movie. Its called a theme. I seem to recall 9 movies and 170 episodes that had a slmilar score.
Old May 16 2013, 04:56 AM   #2124
Jolaris
Commander

The more I think about it there is one simple reason I love this movie. It's the characters!

With ST09 I had problems with almost everyone, as if they were not yet comfortable to fill such big shoes.

STiD made me not care if their was any plotholes, lensflares, nor did I care if their was too much action (which was another problem with ST09).

But this time, oh boy, this time! There was no longer any mistake that this was Kirk, McCoy and Spock, their body language, their quirks, their strengths and weaknesses. It was like seeing old friends again.

And Uhura saving the day and Sulu being badass in the big chair?
Hell yeah!

And the "Hello, I'm Carol Wallace"-scene, that was the one that launched a million new K/S slashfic.

And Cumberbatch?

That man is one hell of a actor!
There is no justice in this world if he does not receive an Oscar in a few short years.

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:57 AM   #2125
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Jolaris wrote: View Post
And the "Hello, I'm Carol Wallace"-scene, that was the one that launched a million new K/S slashfic.
For sure!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:01 AM   #2126
Tom Servo
Commodore

Just got back. I need to see it again because I had to see it on a stupid IMAX dome, and I hate the distortion those cause. But anyway....

A+. Phenomenal. Don't know what else to say. The scene with Pike chewing out Kirk in his office was just awesome.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:02 AM   #2127
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Does anyone remember Janet Wallace?
Old May 16 2013, 05:03 AM   #2128
teacake
Fleet Admiral

One of Kirk's flings? HE FLUNG WITH CAROL'S MOM?!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 16 2013, 05:05 AM   #2129
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Just got back. I need to see it again because I had to see it on a stupid IMAX dome, and I hate the distortion those cause. But anyway....

A+. Phenomenal. Don't know what else to say. The scene with Pike chewing out Kirk in his office was just awesome.
Yeah, I really liked that scene because the end of the last movie it still looked/felt like Kirk was a bit of a douche. Then he is in a lot of trouble but greets it facetiously and I loved how Pike just shut him down, along with the prime directive talk.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:06 AM   #2130
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Saw the Fan Preview in Imax and 3D tonight.

I was'nt the hugest fan of what JJ Abrams did to Trek in his first film, but it took his second installment to cement that I don't like his take on Star Trek. Like the first its all flash and no substance or feeling. His characters bear resemblance in name only to classic TOS characters but they don't inherit the same space, in fact in JJ's alt-Trek Kirk is a Douce, Spock is practically Homicidal, the only characters that come out of this film Portrayed well is Karl Urban's Bones MCcoy, and Simon Pegg's Scotty. Kirk from the opening seenis portrayed still as a wild party boy and rebel. Spock Flutuates from decrying Starfleet's revenge motives to laying a virtual ass whooping on the baddie.

And Let's talk about the Plot and Said Baddie John" You Knew he was Khan" Harrison. Why did it have to be Khan, JJ Started on the right foot making the baddies Starfleet's Secret Section 31. Harrison could have had any motive giving to him for wanting to get bad at Admiral Marcus, but no, because JJ can't create a plot of his own, why not make an alt-verse Wrath of Khan? So the good Admiral just happens to come across Khan and His crew and he enlists Khan, a man 300 years out date to help him develop advanced weaponry and ships..??? Huh, thats like asking a Roman to help you design the cell Phone. Several Action Set pieces ensue until we get the inevitable ending that Apes the classic Trek 2 ending, except guess what it's reversed so that it's Kirk that sacrifices his Crew and Spock gets to emote the infamous Khan Bello for some inane erase. That is until a Deux ending that anyone could see coming from a mile away, had a Tribble waking up at just the right time. And why was everyone so Gung ho on spock Taking Khan alive when even McCoy realized he had 72 of the little buggers on his Ship anyhow.

JJ If I want to Watch Khan done Right I'll watch the original, I have about 42 times already I'd like to see some originality.. And I like how they can pull out Old Spock as a crutch now just because New Spock is too stupid to work it out himself, so he can just dial up old Spock so he can object..but what the Heck give him the Answer anyhow.

And where is the Grand utopia of Earth, when pock and Khan fought on that vehicle there was enough toxic emissions coming off of it to create a global meltdown. And what is with those god awful Hats....

I Invite eeryone to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.

And then go watch JJ's version.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote