Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 15 2013, 07:25 AM   #76
ROBE
Commander

Re: Transporters in the nuVerse [SPOILERS]

In the Warhammer 40K Universe teleporters don't take you apart and reassemble you, they simply move your whole body from one point in space to another via the warp/hyperspace and they always need homing signals.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:31 PM   #77
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Agreed. My issue with transwarp beaming is that I simply don't see how it could work the way it does in the movie without a serious amount of collateral technology (how can the signal travel faster than a subspace signal - which can take hours or days to reach its destination; how can it travel over longer distances than a subspace signal without specially designed subspace relays (Scotty used standard Federation communication relays in the comic and Harrison I assume must have hacked Klingon communication relays but a transporter signal contains a hell of a lot more data than a subspace communication); how can the annular confinement beam retain the integrity of a signal without something extra to power the beam;
The annular confinement beam is only used in de/materialization, not transmission. It's the data that travels.
Old May 15 2013, 02:37 PM   #78
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

-Section 31 confiscated Scotty's transwarp beaming equation.

-Section 31, along with Khan, built the portable one-shot transwarp beaming device.

-Section 31's top secret R&D department beneath London was destroyed. Therefore, transwarp beaming now exists only in Spock Prime's head.

Seems to me that, even of it was a problem (and I say it wasn't), that it's been written out of the Trekverse quite effectively.
Old May 15 2013, 08:24 PM   #79
Pauln6
Commodore

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
The annular confinement beam is only used in de/materialization, not transmission. It's the data that travels.
That's interesting if correct but I wasn't able to find anything to support that on Memory Alpha. It suggests that the beam is used to maintain the integrity of the pattern and in some cases the beam had to be strengthened to beam somebody through interference. If the beam is only needed to dematerialise, it would not be needed to punch through the interference.

Scotty was already working on transwarp beaming before Spock's arrival and understood where he was going wrong wrong. He certainly hasn't forgotten how to use it so, given that it requires no modification to the technology to implement , it can come back at any time.

He has, however, been ordered to stop his research (in the comics).

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:19 PM   #80
Flake
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
-Section 31 confiscated Scotty's transwarp beaming equation.

-Section 31, along with Khan, built the portable one-shot transwarp beaming device.

-Section 31's top secret R&D department beneath London was destroyed. Therefore, transwarp beaming now exists only in Spock Prime's head.

Seems to me that, even of it was a problem (and I say it wasn't), that it's been written out of the Trekverse quite effectively.
Please god let it be true!

I just don't agree with the concept of transwarp beaming because it totally undermines starship travel to the point that it may no longer be necessary! Starships would be used to set up some form of transwarp beaming repeaters and thats it. Sort of like stargate or gaining access to the Iconian gateways. It was inferred in any episode featuring the gateway that it was totally game changing and must be destroyed.. well with transwarp beaming you have the next best thing! Get rid of it!

I can see it now. Kirk is on a starship at warp and has been for weeks until one day he realises he forgot his bag of toiletries. No matter! I will nip back to Earth by transwarp beaming, pick it up and come straight back. Cya in 5!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:46 PM   #81
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Flake wrote: View Post
I just don't agree with the concept of transwarp beaming because it totally undermines starship travel to the point that it may no longer be necessary!
If transwarp beaming were depicted as essentially risk-free and completely practical for large-scale use, then that might be a worthwhile objection. Has it been shown to be so?
Old May 15 2013, 11:04 PM   #82
Flake
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I just don't agree with the concept of transwarp beaming because it totally undermines starship travel to the point that it may no longer be necessary!
If transwarp beaming were depicted as essentially risk-free and completely practical for large-scale use, then that might be a worthwhile objection. Has it been shown to be so?
Well its 2 attempts and 2 successes so far in 2 movies. Comics/Novels don't count. Seems to be ok so far!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:17 PM   #83
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Well its 2 attempts and 2 successes so far in 2 movies. Comics/Novels don't count. Seems to be ok so far!
Scotty ending up in a tank full of water and almost dying isn't exactly a ringing success (even if the payoff was played for laughs).

Also I am pretty sure the the writers have stated that if they touch it it is canon. So the books and games and whatever else they have a hand in counts. In fact I am pretty sure they reference events of both the comic books and the recent game in the film.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:21 AM   #84
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

They beamed Scotty into a tank which nearly killed him.

The second time they did it they beamed Spock and Kirk onto the Narada's bridge.

The Dominion and S31 appeared to have this technology in DS9, but it was conveniently dropped for plot reasons.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:21 AM   #85
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They classified Scotty's transwarp formula, and watching this movie makes it clear why Starfleet wouldn't deploy it as a means of space travel or exploration any time soon. As Admiral Kirk said of the Genesis Device in TWOK, it's a bag that could rearrange the whole Galaxy, and best that as few people as possible even know it exists.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:05 PM   #86
Pauln6
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
They classified Scotty's transwarp formula, and watching this movie makes it clear why Starfleet wouldn't deploy it as a means of space travel or exploration any time soon. As Admiral Kirk said of the Genesis Device in TWOK, it's a bag that could rearrange the whole Galaxy, and best that as few people as possible even know it exists.
Yup. I certainly wish I didn't know about it.

Old May 16 2013, 11:52 PM   #87
Matt S
Lieutenant

People have an issue with a new way to transport? Only ST nerds, I am just saying......
Old May 17 2013, 01:08 AM   #88
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
This is supposed to be a prequel in the (if it were prime)
Thankfully, it isn't.
The writers are free to create this Star Trek as they like.
And the audience is free not to like it, and by extension, free to express such criticism in threads such as these. The critics should have just as much a right as defenders.
You also have a right not to see the movies if you think that they suck, and to stick with the previous versions of Star Trek on home video.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 01:31 AM   #89
Pauln6
Commodore

Matt S wrote: View Post
People have an issue with a new way to transport? Only ST nerds, I am just saying......
Oh you are right. Casual viewers don't even pause to think about the knock on consequences! I've played role-playing games for decades so I can't divorce myself from the 'rules' of the game and how they can be applied by anybody where circumstances permit. A high level spell like interstellar transport changes the whole dynamic of the universe in ways you can't even be bothered to imagine!

Leave me to my imagination and I'll leave you to your inferior Trek.

Old May 19 2013, 12:59 AM   #90
Stardate
Fleet Captain

I just hate trans-warp beaming in NuTrek. Just before SO9 came out 4 years ago i made a point that they should have limit transporter tech and only made available via transporter pads. This would have ended site to site beaming and use of shuttles being more used in NuTrek. Sadly Abrams and co went other direction and invented trans-warp beaming.