RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,374
Posts: 5,504,242
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 451
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15 2013, 04:19 PM   #181
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Interesting. For what it's worth, having her die twice is more dramatic than just once. Otherwise, she could have just died at the end of her time with the Doctor rather than living separate lives.

I wonder if it was the Victorian kids who were supposed to be in the episode.
Yea, someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe a different thread?) that it was indeed originally Victorian Clara's charges.

Also, apparently the script was originally much closer to the Audio Drama Spare Parts (Not sure if this part was confirmed or assumed)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:47 PM   #182
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
I might have missed it since the episode wasn't interesting to me but is it explained how the Cybermen were able to upgrade to the super speedy type?
Basically, after thousands of years fighting humans (and their improving technology), they upgraded their technology. These Cybermen are much superior to those of old. That's basically it.
I'm guessing when the cybermites accessed the girl's phone, it gave them 4G technology for super speedy upgrades.. There MUST be an app for that!
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 07:46 PM   #183
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Interesting. For what it's worth, having her die twice is more dramatic than just once. Otherwise, she could have just died at the end of her time with the Doctor rather than living separate lives.

I wonder if it was the Victorian kids who were supposed to be in the episode.
Yea, someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe a different thread?) that it was indeed originally Victorian Clara's charges.

Also, apparently the script was originally much closer to the Audio Drama Spare Parts (Not sure if this part was confirmed or assumed)
Spare Parts really needs to get made into a 2 parter.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 09:06 PM   #184
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Pindar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Interesting. For what it's worth, having her die twice is more dramatic than just once. Otherwise, she could have just died at the end of her time with the Doctor rather than living separate lives.

I wonder if it was the Victorian kids who were supposed to be in the episode.
Yea, someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe a different thread?) that it was indeed originally Victorian Clara's charges.

Also, apparently the script was originally much closer to the Audio Drama Spare Parts (Not sure if this part was confirmed or assumed)
Spare Parts really needs to get made into a 2 parter.
I'd definitely be up for that. And leave in the "Cloth Faced' Cybermen, it adds to the atmosphere of it. Changing them to a newer look Cybermen would be a step down in the creepiness of it, IMHO. (Of course, the "cloth Faced" look could be updated, but, still needs to maintain the spirit of the Originals)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #185
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe a different thread?) that it was indeed originally Victorian Clara's charges.

Also, apparently the script was originally much closer to the Audio Drama Spare Parts (Not sure if this part was confirmed or assumed)
Spare Parts really needs to get made into a 2 parter.
I'd definitely be up for that. And leave in the "Cloth Faced' Cybermen, it adds to the atmosphere of it. Changing them to a newer look Cybermen would be a step down in the creepiness of it, IMHO. (Of course, the "cloth Faced" look could be updated, but, still needs to maintain the spirit of the Originals)
The cloth faced ones are very creepy.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:48 PM   #186
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Leather would be creepier.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:24 AM   #187
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
This is interesting -- Neil Gaiman's first draft used the Victorian Clara as she, not "modern" Clara, was intended to be the Doctor's companion.
Yea, originally Jenna Louise Coleman started in The Snowmen, and then they decided to write her into Asylum of the Daleks and had to do some rewrites to The Snowmen. So, I imagine, the inclusion of Oswin in Asylum of the Daleks, led to having her die again in The Snowmen, which prompted a rewrite to update Clara to modern Clara in Nightmare in Silver.
Yeah, that's how I interepret it. It was stated back when Asylum aired that Oswin was originally meant to be a seperate, unrelated character until JLC was cast as Clara, then she became Oswin as well. The Moffat had to re-write The Snowmen.

I imagine The Bells of St. John would still have involved Clara being attacked by Spoonheads and magically getting computer knowledge. Having her be Victorian probably would have helped that story, as it would explain why she had next to no computer knowledge at the start and it would actually make the fact she suddenly made a joke about Twitter actually be something worth mentioning.

Of course, then the problem becomes why are the Victorian children going on a TARDIS trip? They couldn't go on the internet and find pictures of Clara in a haunted house in the 1970s or on a Soviet submarine in the 1980s.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:14 AM   #188
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Having her be Victorian probably would have helped that story, as it would explain why she had next to no computer knowledge at the start and it would actually make the fact she suddenly made a joke about Twitter actually be something worth mentioning.
I never thought about that.

I'd expect any 20-something from a Western nation to have at least heard about Twitter, regardless of whether they'd ever even used it themselves.

"You just made a joke about Twitter" only really makes sense if the person had never even HEARD about it before then.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:49 AM   #189
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
This is interesting -- Neil Gaiman's first draft used the Victorian Clara as she, not "modern" Clara, was intended to be the Doctor's companion.
Yea, originally Jenna Louise Coleman started in The Snowmen, and then they decided to write her into Asylum of the Daleks and had to do some rewrites to The Snowmen. So, I imagine, the inclusion of Oswin in Asylum of the Daleks, led to having her die again in The Snowmen, which prompted a rewrite to update Clara to modern Clara in Nightmare in Silver.
Yeah, that's how I interepret it. It was stated back when Asylum aired that Oswin was originally meant to be a seperate, unrelated character until JLC was cast as Clara, then she became Oswin as well. The Moffat had to re-write The Snowmen.

I imagine The Bells of St. John would still have involved Clara being attacked by Spoonheads and magically getting computer knowledge. Having her be Victorian probably would have helped that story, as it would explain why she had next to no computer knowledge at the start and it would actually make the fact she suddenly made a joke about Twitter actually be something worth mentioning.

Of course, then the problem becomes why are the Victorian children going on a TARDIS trip? They couldn't go on the internet and find pictures of Clara in a haunted house in the 1970s or on a Soviet submarine in the 1980s.
Easy to solve, you just do it the old fashioned way. The Doctor takes Clara back to visit and when the Tardis leaves the kids have snuck onboard. They wouldn't be the first...
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 01:45 PM   #190
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

I miss Amy. The quality of the second half of the season has fluctuated alarmingly. This one was pretty flat, for Neil Gaiman. I do like Clara, but they're not doing nearly enough with her. Next week should have been a two parter, and they should have spent more time on the 'who is she?' arc
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:58 PM   #191
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

^^ What I do like now is that it really feels like the Doctor is in charge. Sometimes with Amy, Rory and River it felt like he was put upon.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:32 PM   #192
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It was okay. Entertaining, but not awesome. Again, this episode was overhyped, being the season's Neil Gaiman episode and introducing the "new" Cybermen. Despite all the hype about the Cybermen getting a new redesign and being "totally reinvented" they're not really much different. Sure they have a new Iron Man-esque look, can move at really fast speeds and can pull off various limbs for fancy tricks. But really, that's what they are, same old Cybermen with a few new tricks.
I like to describe them as the Earth II cybermen joining with the classic ones from Mondas.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.