Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 15 2013, 08:17 AM   #166
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Ryva Takes On Enterprise (Again)

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Either Enterprise keeps terrible records of their travels, or this is a big fat continuity fail.

Next up: Ferengi. A couple centuries ahead of schedule. This show has zero respect for established Trek history.
Hey, you reviewed two episodes in one!

Rogue Planet... yeah the whole concept just never made sense to me. The planet... unless they just manufactured it as a giant green house and game preserve somehow. Which opens up more plot holes as to why and how they'd do it that way.

Though to be fair the shapeshifter bit, no one mentioned the "shapeshiftress" to quote Kirk's own words, in ST6 either. Maybe Kirk was just too embarrassed to put that he slept with a being that can warp into a 200 pound man.

teacake wrote: View Post

No no, you don't set them aside, you embrace them. You love them like a really ugly dog where you secretly love it more because of its ugliness. This is the secret to maintaining an infatuation with Trek in the face of all naysayers.
Hey, I was arguing against setting them aside. That's like saying the dog's pretty just because it's paws aren't as ugly as the rest of it. Me? The really bad episodes... what can I say, sometimes it's fun ripping into em at times. I never did like dogs anyways, so is that the equivalent of kicking a puppy?
Old May 15 2013, 10:46 AM   #167
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Well you could kick a kitten but then I'd have to kill you.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 03:02 PM   #168
Ryva Brall
Commander

As an owner of a small ugly dog that I loved for her ugliness for fifteen years, I can appreciate Tea's analogy. And I suppose it would be hypocritical of me to say how bad ENT has been so far (to me, anyway) when I actually kind of love bad sci-fi. Or at least, I love ridiculing it. That's why MST3K is one of my favorite shows ever. Bad sci-fi is just plain fun to mock.
Old May 15 2013, 11:47 PM   #169
horatio83
Commodore

Fiction does per definition contain plot holes so seeking them is kinda pointless.
About bad science, well, Trek is soft sci-fi anyway and I care as little about the impossibility of organic life without a sun nearby as I do about the impossibility of inertial dampeners.

Rogue Planet is not a particularly memorable episode and we already know the "shapeshifter makes itself look like a beautiful woman" idea from The Dauphin but I always appreciate these small and quiet episodes which are about humans appreciating non-humanoid life and getting along with it. I also liked the idea of a rogue planet as we have never seen one in Trek.
Old May 17 2013, 01:23 AM   #170
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Though the bad episodes, which in my own opinion constitute a majority of the first two seasons and are definitely present in the last two, are a part of the whole of Enterprise and have to be factored in. You can't just set aside the distasteful parts of anything then speak of the whole as if they're not part of it.
No no, you don't set them aside, you embrace them. You love them like a really ugly dog where you secretly love it more because of its ugliness. This is the secret to maintaining an infatuation with Trek in the face of all naysayers.
THIS.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:56 AM   #171
Ryva Brall
Commander

Sorry I haven't been around these past two weeks. I was house sitting for some friends, and their Internet access was abysmal. I couldn't even use Netflix. If they hadn't had all five seasons of Stargate Atlantis on DVD, I probably would have lost my mind. On the plus side, I've learned how to swear in Czech.

Acquisition:

Ty vole. Longest forty-three minutes of my life. Seriously, my head hurts as a result of watching this episode.

Now before Teacake bites my head off, let me start by saying I like the Ferengi. I really do. However, I realize I'm in the minority. They're not everyone's cup of snail juice. So I'm surprised that of all the alien species of Star Trek the writers could have used for this episode, they went with one of the least popular among the fans. And then they stuck them in an unbelievably dull and predictable episode riddled with cliches. Too many cliches to count, really: Archer leading the Ferengi on about a fake vault, manipulating the dopey, submissive Ferengi (played by Jeffrey Combs) into turning on his domineering cousin (Ethan Phillips), T'Pol using her feminine wiles to subdue said submissive Ferengi, Archer and Trip pretending to be at odds with each other to confuse the Ferengi... I could go on. And these Ferengi weren't even entertaining. They were just flat, stale, uninteresting caricatures. Combs was, as usual, the only reason they weren't unbearable. Still, he was wasted in this role.

Here's one thing I can't get over: Archer tells the Ferengi that he's going to inform Starfleet and the Vulcan High Command about them... but he NEVER bothers to ask them who they are? Even when he has them tied up? I can imagine how pleased Admiral Forrest will be when he gets that report. "My ship was boarded by some big-eared aliens, my people were gassed, my inventory was almost stolen, and my female crew members were nearly taken to be sold into slavery, but I kind of forgot to ask what species they were. My bad."

Things I liked: I thought it was vaguely amusing when Archer and Trip were arguing about how many gold bars Trip's "wife" Hoshi was worth. It would've been funnier if they'd brought it up later in front of Hoshi, leaving Trip to explain why they mentioned her in the first place. Another opportunity missed. Also, Porthos is super cute. And I'm not gonna lie; I didn't mind that Trip was in his blue skivvies for half the episode. Shut up. I'm weak.

Still, I'm glad I watched this episode. That means I never have to watch it again.
Old June 1 2013, 11:08 AM   #172
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Still, I'm glad I watched this episode. That means I never have to watch it again.
But.. the Undies!

Oh heck.. here ya go. Now you never have to revisit:

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote