Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15 2013, 10:14 PM   #2071
yenny
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
I doubt I'll walk out and ask for a refund.
Do they really issue refunds?
I've never heard of any movie theaters giving out refunds, cause someone didn't like the movie they pay for.
yenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:16 PM   #2072
ConRefit79
Captain

yenny wrote: View Post
I've never heard of any movie theaters giving out refunds, cause someone didn't like the movie they pay for.
Considering the price for a soda, even water and popcorn, it should be free.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:28 PM   #2073
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I don't go to the movies all that often anymore, but I've never heard of an occasion where an unhappy patron failed to get their money back when complaining. Are cinemas so arrogant in their certainty of being patronized that they can alienate anybody?

But the only times I've ever asked for a refund have related to screwed-up projection -- I figure if I didn't like the movie, I was the sucker for going. But that is presumably a minority view, since you still have people getting their money back from supermarkets because they let the ice cream melt on the drive home and think it is the market's fault.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:29 PM   #2074
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

Considering the price for a soda, even water and popcorn, it should be free.
If you can't afford to go to the movies then don't go.
Old May 15 2013, 10:44 PM   #2075
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
dulcimer47 wrote: View Post
Just because both stories resulted in rapid aging doesn't make it a rehash.
You're wrong. Just because the writers change the details doesn't make a story anything other than a "rehash."
Like Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:49 PM   #2076
Jolaris
Commander

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Jolaris wrote: View Post
´09 was to me a one night stand, it was fun while it lasted but I felt so very emotionally drained and empty afterwards.
You're sleeping with the wrong people.
Haha, naaah, the "sex" was good, it just didn't make me fall in love like STiD has done...

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:53 PM   #2077
teacock
Fleet Admiral

TommyW wrote: View Post
Just got back from seeing it. It was entertaining - but it's fading from my memory fast. I really don't understand why they bothered making Cumberbatch Khan. He's such an underdeveloped villain in this that it really could have been anyone. Almost a carbon copy of Nero in many ways.
This seems to be a common problem with Trek movies. Almost all the villains suck.
I'm wondering how he comes across as a villain to a Trek novice. I can't watch it without knowing his whole history and feeling the weight behind his words because of that.

I do think Cumberbatch was underused. Rather than have that 9 minute prologue of volcano neutralizing they should have had 9 minutes of Cumberbatch, showing us scenes that made us sympathetic or otherwise. We saw a lot of Khan in Space Seed before there was direct conflict, Khan with his people and interacting with Marla etc.. as a charismatic and mysterious individual. With ST:XII we miss all this, we see him in direct conflict the entire time other than a single exchange with the father. I think he really needed some build up and Cumberbatch being of the caliber he is it's a shame he didn't get it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:56 PM   #2078
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I don't think the villain was under developed, his motives were pretty clear and we all know his background. That said, we definitely could've used a bit more Cumberbatch but the movie was already moving at such a fast pace that it really could've had an extra 10 minutes at least.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:59 PM   #2079
ConRefit79
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm wondering how he comes across as a villain to a Trek novice. I can't watch it without knowing his whole history and feeling the weight behind his words because of that.

I do think Cumberbatch was underused. Rather than have that 9 minute prologue of volcano neutralizing they should have had 9 minutes of Cumberbatch, showing us scenes that made us sympathetic or otherwise. We saw a lot of Khan in Space Seed before there was direct conflict, Khan with his people and interacting with Marla etc.. as a charismatic and mysterious individual. With ST:XII we miss all this, we see him in direct conflict the entire time other than a single exchange with the father. I think he really needed some build up and Cumberbatch being of the caliber he is it's a shame he didn't get it.
It would appear the current thinking is you cannot keep the audience's attention by including those details. Those scenes may have ended up on the cutting room floor.
Old May 15 2013, 11:12 PM   #2080
Phily B
Fleet Captain

I personally always liked the idea the books set forth, which was Khan and the Eugenics war was more of a covert/illuminati type cold war with lots of proxy wars rather than a devastating conventional war.
Old May 15 2013, 11:17 PM   #2081
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

CraveOnline's reviews are another instance where they've got one reviewer who tore an absolute strip out of it, while their other reviewer stated uncategorically that he enjoyed it WAY more than he thought he would. Just goes to show, not everyone gets the same experience from watching the same movie.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #2082
Flake
Commodore

I would've preferred he was just left as John Harrison, one of Khans top people and by far the most intelligent & manipulative. The ideal choice for Marcus to thaw out and use. He was the one pulling the strings and Khan was just the figurehead. Or something..

A glimpse of Montalban frozen as well thrown in at the end!

Nevermind!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:21 PM   #2083
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
I would've preferred he was just left as John Harrison, one of Khans top people and by far the most intelligent & manipulative. The ideal choice for Marcus to thaw out and use. He was the one pulling the strings and Khan was just the figurehead. Or something..

Nevermind!
"Oh my god, why would they do that when it was stated Khan was the leader and most intelligent and most dangerous one?! Worst film ever 0/10."
Old May 15 2013, 11:23 PM   #2084
ConRefit79
Captain

Nevermind!
Only problem is he would not be dead. Do we want them to pull a Terminator: Salvation in a future film?

Better to say they failed to revive Khan and he died. Didn't the unit initially malfunction. Maybe because Scotty was not there, Khan died.
Old May 15 2013, 11:24 PM   #2085
Flake
Commodore

Phily B wrote: View Post

Nevermind!
"Oh my god, why would they do that when it was stated Khan was the leader and most intelligent and most dangerous one?! Worst film ever 0/10."
Yeah, no doubt about it, this would've happened. I am not saying they made the right or wrong decision. It would've been better >for me< if he was just John Harrison rather than Khan
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote