The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 9 2013, 10:33 AM   #121
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: A parade of spaceships...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ I've seen images of the '80's ship but not the show itself. And, yeah, the '80's design is crap.
The model sheets of the 80's show give me a hint of Ralph McQuarrie, though I certainly prefer the original.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #122
publiusr
Commodore

I actually like the 1980 version well enough. Uglor's ship was used by Emory and Oglethorp--the Plutonians on Aqua Teen

That might have been inspired by both the D-7 and the Dragonship from Jason/Star Command
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:38 PM   #123
Timo
Admiral

I'm unfamiliar with all incarnations of Space Ghost... How likely would it be, within the technology frame of that universe, for the Space Cruiser to have flexible wings?

I mean, if the thing does land on non-flat surfaces as shown, there'd be some motivation to raise the wings out of ground contact. And the overall blended shapes don't particularly support the idea of simple hinges...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:07 PM   #124
Warped9
Admiral

One could certainly speculate about the ship possessing some form of truly advanced flexible alloy to its hull or wings. The show never got technical in that respect.
Old May 13 2013, 07:17 PM   #125
Redfern
Commodore

The show never got technical...
Yup, for people, like Timo, who are not familiar with the show, Space Ghost would be depicted leaving the Phantom Cruiser (by way of the canopy simply lifting) and then flying to whatever destination Superman style...because he needs to get there faster than the Cruiser can carry him! Keep in mind he does this seemingly in "deep space" without any visible means of propulsive or life support gear.

Obviously, Space Ghost exists in a quantum reality where the physical laws of nature function VERY different from ours!

But the Phantom Cruiser is STILL a very sweet ride!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:07 PM   #126
Timo
Admiral

Hmm... If the Space Ghost has Superman powers of this sort, it's sort of natural to assume he also grew the Cruiser the way Kal-El can grow things out of crystals - as a somewhat crude extension of himself and his powers, inferior to the character himself in many respects. That is, unlike the technologies of Batman, which are superior to the physique of the character himself and elevate his powers to new levels. The Ghost might not grow a particularly "physical" Cruiser for himself, then, just something that he likes to "wear" when going to work.

This doesn't bode well for the modeling project, though, so it's probably best not dwelt upon too much.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:53 AM   #127
Warped9
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
This doesn't bode well for the modeling project, though, so it's probably best not dwelt upon too much.

Timo Saloniemi
I'm not going to be concerning myself with details like landing gear. Right now I'm trying to get the wings to flow smoothly into the fuselage. There are a lot of complex compound curves on this thing.
Old May 14 2013, 03:54 PM   #128
Chrisisall
Commodore

There are a lot of complex compound curves on this thing.
This will call for some difficult artistic choices to pull off a comprehensive version, methinks.

At least I can follow your work here!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:15 PM   #129
Warped9
Admiral

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
There are a lot of complex compound curves on this thing.
This will call for some difficult artistic choices to pull off a comprehensive version, methinks.

At least I can follow your work here!
I'm presently working on an idea of how to accomplish this. Part of the issue is that the ship's centreline isn't perfectly straight. it curves gently upward as it moves aft to the tip of the tail. This creates an additional challenge in getting the wings to flow smoothly into the fuselage. It has an added complication of the wings gently curving upward as well (in line with the ship's centreline) as you move back. This is all to get a design that is generally consistent with what the onscreen depiction seems to be suggesting.
Old May 15 2013, 06:32 PM   #130
sojourner
Admiral

^I've never been good at compound curved surfaces in Sketchup, so I am interested to see how you manage it.
Old May 15 2013, 08:55 PM   #131
Warped9
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^I've never been good at compound curved surfaces in Sketchup, so I am interested to see how you manage it.
My approach is basically to take a page from building physical scratchbuild models: create a framework on to which you can lay a "skin" to form your compaund curve surface. This would be much like an airplane fuselage or boat hull frame. I've already done this to a limited extent with my TAS and TOS shuttlecraft 3D models. But the Phantom Cruiser is much more complex in form so it will be a challenge. Yeah, it is time consuming, but at least I know I'm getting the shape I want.

Mind you there are a lot of plugins for SketchUp some of which could well make this easier, but it takes time to find the right one and learn how to use it.
Old May 15 2013, 09:15 PM   #132
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I've also seen some people build aircraft-like models by drawing a cross-section, use push/pull to where you want the next section, then modify that face to what you need. Rinse/Repeat until you have your entire hull.
Old May 15 2013, 09:33 PM   #133
Warped9
Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
I've also seen some people build aircraft-like models by drawing a cross-section, use push/pull to where you want the next section, then modify that face to what you need. Rinse/Repeat until you have your entire hull.
Yes, that's the simplest way to do it, but it can get real challenging when the one cross-section doesn't really serve because it might need to be drastically changed as you go forward.
Old May 15 2013, 09:45 PM   #134
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, I've tried all of those techniques and every addon I can find. Nothing has satisfied me for getting the curves *I* want as opposed to what the addon gives me and having those curves come out smooth. Even in the HL-10 model I posted early in this thread has small imperfections were one curve does not flow smoothly into the other that bug me. (look near the nose)

ETA: oops, that wasn't earlier in this thread. That was in the thread for the other ship you were working on. Which for the life of me I can't find now, even using the search function.

Last edited by sojourner; May 15 2013 at 09:57 PM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:06 PM   #135
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Is this the one? http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206275