RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 425
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.30%
A 161 21.58%
A- 101 13.54%
B+ 82 10.99%
B 58 7.77%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.36%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15 2013, 10:57 AM   #1966
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'm thinking that Khan (hey I kind of got a thrill typing that..) made the little girl sick in the first place. There wouldn't be much they couldn't cure but I'm sure he came up with something. Identified someone in the right position he thought would be vulnerable, targeted his family and then offered him a solution. What I don't understand is why Khan didn't just blow the place up himself when he had access to it? Is it because he wants to erode Starfleet from the inside by freaking them out that one of their own could do that?

I also don't understand why Marcus thought there was any safety in allowing John Harrison to hang out in Section 31, surely the most dangerous place ever to install a eugenics superman. It seems that initially Khan had him sucked in and he believed they were working together.

When Marcus tells the assembled captains that the transmission he received from the bomber says he was being "forced" to do it by John Harrison it made me think that the bomber wasn't just offered his child's life, he was threatened with losing his wife or other family members as well.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:15 AM   #1967
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
gornsky wrote: View Post
What? You must not have been paying attention. Did you go for a toilet break at any time? Ducked out for extra popcorn?
It hasn't opened here.
Well it seems wrong to be telling you what happens when you could see it for yourself tomorrow, but as you have hinted that this won't be happening, and seeing as you asked...

I'm not sure exactly how much more the movie could have torn down Kirk's ego in 132 minutes. From a character perspective at least, I thought it was a very powerful journey, powerfully acted. I'm not sure why some commentators are criticising the movie of being devoid of character focus. To me, the VFX were just surface decoration for those willing to look no further. This movie is ALL about the character journey, about the heart and soul of this franchise, about making the journey from cadet to captain, about not letting a thirst for vengeance turn you into your enemy. While I enjoyed ST2009, I never really embraced the new characters, especially Kirk, or thought it felt like "Trek". This movie completely turned that on its head for me.

This had all the character interaction and "feel" of Trek that I so missed in the first movie.

Sure it has its problems. Kirk's journey from captain, to academy, back up to first officer and back up to captain again is no less rapid and contrived than it was in the first movie, but this time every promotion comes with a hefty slice of humble pie. Kirk's childlike fantasies about the shiniest ship in the fleet and a five-year mission become very adult, messy realities.

The movie has leaps of logic and technical contrivances that move characters around the chess board quickly, but that makes the plot "dense" rather than scattershot. It's no worse than any other Trek outing in that respect. Leave it to the next technical manual to fanwank all that into some semblance of order. It is certainly aimed at the modern movie-goer, but more in the delivery of the visual quality that audiences expect and in the pace at which it asks you to switch gears rather than simple "dumbing down". What sort of anthropological assessment is justified in calling a whole generation "dumber" than the one that went before. Was there some genetic crisis that I missed?

Anyway, I think you should go along and give it a go. At least that way your opinion on what the movie does and doesn't deliver can be a fair and informed opinion, rather than wishful thinking.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:27 AM   #1968
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Is it explained how Starfleet found Khan or did they just happen across him randomly?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:35 AM   #1969
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Increased patrols after the destruction of Vulcan.
Old May 15 2013, 11:37 AM   #1970
teacake
Admiral

What I'm thinking is they will be able to explain every out of time super tech from this point on by saying it was developed a lot sooner because of the increased militarization of Starfleet as a response to Vulcan's destruction.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 15 2013, 11:39 AM   #1971
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
^Increased patrols after the destruction of Vulcan.
That's fine. I was hoping it wasn't something daft like old Spock had told them about it or something.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:46 AM   #1972
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Is it explained how Starfleet found Khan or did they just happen across him randomly?
Yes, although I wish they had explained it slightly different, through the Kelvin's destruction.
INTO DARKNESS takes place one year after STAR TREK. So, within one year they found Khan, revived him, introduced him to the technology of the 23rd century, let him develop all kind of super-secret programs and build the Vengance within what... less than a few months?
Old May 15 2013, 12:38 PM   #1973
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
What I'm thinking is they will be able to explain every out of time super tech from this point on by saying it was developed a lot sooner because of the increased militarization of Starfleet as a response to Vulcan's destruction.
That works.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:18 PM   #1974
marksound
Fleet Captain

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yes, although I wish they had explained it slightly different, through the Kelvin's destruction.
INTO DARKNESS takes place one year after STAR TREK. So, within one year they found Khan, revived him, introduced him to the technology of the 23rd century, let him develop all kind of super-secret programs and build the Vengance within what... less than a few months?
Is it stated specifically that it was within that timeframe?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:35 PM   #1975
teacake
Admiral

I expect this thread will have 'sploded by the time I wake up.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 15 2013, 01:43 PM   #1976
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Is it stated specifically that it was within that timeframe?
Mostly, but who knows when Marcus started his secret starship project.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:57 PM   #1977
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I am getting on, I've been watching Trek since TOS was first on.

TWOK is my faveourite film of all time.

I've been to Into Darkness twice now. I love it, it's a great film.

I like what they did with the scenes from TWOK, this film IS Star Trek.

It doesn't matter if you see it or not, it doesn't matter if you like it or not it is still Star Trek.

Anyone who is avoiding it just because you don't like the spoilers, do yourself a favour, go see it.

The worst thing that will happen is your preconceptions will be proved, you might also come away from it having watched a great film.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:03 PM   #1978
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness coyly flirts with the same subject matter as Zero Dark Thirty but dares to critique "shoot first, ask questions never" policy and slap Hollywood's wrist for so often celebrating violent revenge. I love Star Trek Into Darkness for that moral, even as ironically mitigated by nonstop phaser fights, pummelings, and explosions.
Link

Same old, good old Star Trek, just turned up to eleven.

Link
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:27 PM   #1979
Franklin
Rear Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
What? You must not have been paying attention. Did you go for a toilet break at any time? Ducked out for extra popcorn?
It hasn't opened here.
Well it seems wrong to be telling you what happens when you could see it for yourself tomorrow, but as you have hinted that this won't be happening, and seeing as you asked...

I'm not sure exactly how much more the movie could have torn down Kirk's ego in 132 minutes. From a character perspective at least, I thought it was a very powerful journey, powerfully acted. I'm not sure why some commentators are criticising the movie of being devoid of character focus. To me, the VFX were just surface decoration for those willing to look no further. This movie is ALL about the character journey, about the heart and soul of this franchise, about making the journey from cadet to captain, about not letting a thirst for vengeance turn you into your enemy. While I enjoyed ST2009, I never really embraced the new characters, especially Kirk, or thought it felt like "Trek". This movie completely turned that on its head for me.

This had all the character interaction and "feel" of Trek that I so missed in the first movie.

Sure it has its problems. Kirk's journey from captain, to academy, back up to first officer and back up to captain again is no less rapid and contrived than it was in the first movie, but this time every promotion comes with a hefty slice of humble pie. Kirk's childlike fantasies about the shiniest ship in the fleet and a five-year mission become very adult, messy realities.

The movie has leaps of logic and technical contrivances that move characters around the chess board quickly, but that makes the plot "dense" rather than scattershot. It's no worse than any other Trek outing in that respect. Leave it to the next technical manual to fanwank all that into some semblance of order. It is certainly aimed at the modern movie-goer, but more in the delivery of the visual quality that audiences expect and in the pace at which it asks you to switch gears rather than simple "dumbing down". What sort of anthropological assessment is justified in calling a whole generation "dumber" than the one that went before. Was there some genetic crisis that I missed?

Anyway, I think you should go along and give it a go. At least that way your opinion on what the movie does and doesn't deliver can be a fair and informed opinion, rather than wishful thinking.
Wow. Great analysis. If Kurtzman, Lindelof, and Orci didn't intend this and just lucked into it, then they need to read your post and start saying, "Yeah, that's exactly what we were setting out to do. Yeah."

In TWOK, Kirk's real revelation was about how he had so often tricked his way out of death and thought he was a genius for it, but he actually knows nothing. That fits Kirk in STID, too. This Kirk may become an even greater captain than Kirk Prime for having had this revelation so much sooner.
Old May 15 2013, 03:13 PM   #1980
ConRefit79
Captain

Thanks for the info Gornsky. But, I'm still going to wait.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote