MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 13 2013, 12:10 AM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Were they paid?

I'll bet you credits to navy beans they got paid in something. How about their housing and lifestyle back on earth, if one of them just QUITS and announces they are never working again are they going to be allowed to just keep their house, go to their San Francisco bars and Chinese restaurants, eat what they want, travel where they want, wear what they want.. no replicators makes this even less likely than in the future.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:36 AM   #32
horatio83
Commodore

They certainly were not motivated by money. Hoshi wanted to go home in the very beginning of the show and did not worry about not being able to pay her bills or give up the fantastic Starfleet paychecks for the meager earnings of a language professor. Archer wanted to go out there because it is his father's engine, Trip was a workaholic engineer (somehow all the engineers in Trek are) and certainly did not work so hard because he got paid for overtime.
Old May 13 2013, 07:52 AM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's kind of funny you can tell who does and doesn't think the state should pay their way by the comments in this thread.
Old May 13 2013, 07:55 AM   #34
teacake
Admiral

I don't think the state should pay my way but if it did pay my way the way as it appears to in our glorious federation future I would be living on the beach with a replicator and never bettering myself one jot. Oh and my house would be humble, but with a stunning view.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 13 2013, 08:01 AM   #35
Third Nacelle
Captain

^I wouldn't even need a house. Just a little holodeck.

Even if everything was provided for me, I'd probably still choose to work. Probably no more than three or four days a week, but I'd want to do something.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 09:29 AM   #36
teacake
Admiral

People would come to me seeking enlightenment as I was free from the burden of bettering myself or anyone else. And because of the latter freedom I would tell them all to fuck off.

PARADISE.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 13 2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Timo
Admiral

The folks who join Starfleet are a bit insane anyway. In a population of trillions, it shouldn't be that hard to find a few million volunteers for unpaid work fraught with deadly dangers. Hey, they find suicide bombers in sufficient numbers in our reality, too!

As for the few examples of purchases of luxury items or services in Star Trek, there tends to be a very poor correlation between such activity and the working income of the purchaser. Luxury tends to be bought by people who don't really have to work for their money!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:26 PM   #38
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

A Star Trek fan is telling me that he/she wouldn't seek the opportunity to go to space if the Federation existed? Yeah, seems legit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 01:01 PM   #39
R. Star
Rear Admiral

There's a lot more ways to go into space than by joining the military.
Old May 14 2013, 04:37 AM   #40
teacake
Admiral

Exactly. My ideal life in Star Trek is to own a little shop on DS9's promenade. There is no way I would ever ever ever join Starfleet.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 14 2013, 07:42 PM   #41
Mach5
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
My ideal life in Star Trek is to own a little shop on DS9's promenade.
Seriously? Over 150 Federation worlds to visit, thousands of different cultures to discover, and you'd just sit on your ass on a crummy Cardassian rust bucket in the middle of nowhere?

Ah well, to each their own.
Old May 14 2013, 08:07 PM   #42
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The explanation for the moneyless economy is simple and obvious - the existence of replicators and practically inexhaustible energy resources.

Enterprise is on the cusp of that - transporter technology is still a new-fangled thing. Can't imagine that our traditional notions of labor for pay could survive for another generation beyond that, though.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 08:31 AM   #43
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
There's a lot more ways to go into space than by joining the military.
But no better way.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The explanation for the moneyless economy is simple and obvious - the existence of replicators and practically inexhaustible energy resources.
How would either of those explain a "new economy" in the late 22nd century?

And you seem to be assuming that replicators (when they come into existence much later) operate at no cost to the user.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 08:44 AM   #44
Timo
Admiral

Internet often operates at no cost to the user, too, and in several important cases did so from the very start. It also started benefiting this society economically long before it became a consumer product. Replicator economy might have been at full swing in the 2170s, only it was at the sort of swing handgun industry was in the 1300s, far from being accessible to the average consumer.

Really, it's the sort of leap one would expect to come immediately with the creation of the Federation: alien cultures would provide the technological input needed to realize mankind's feverish dream of doing away with the Great Satan that launched WWIII or whatever.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:44 AM   #45
teacake
Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
My ideal life in Star Trek is to own a little shop on DS9's promenade.
Seriously? Over 150 Federation worlds to visit, thousands of different cultures to discover, and you'd just sit on your ass on a crummy Cardassian rust bucket in the middle of nowhere?

Ah well, to each their own.
I've always liked airports, hub train stations.. transitional spaces full of travelers. I love the idea of being on DS9. Obviously I would take jaunts now and then to other places. There are busier hubs of course, but DS9 has the charm of being so far away from the establishment.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne