IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 9 2013, 03:33 AM   #16
_C_
Commander

Re: Odo's senses

Or, it's possible Odo hasn't perfected his ability to form certain objects, so he might not get them quite right and they'll be lighter/heavier than they should be.

As a humanoid I imagine he has a somewhat solid surface, and underneath he's like a big jello mold and can adjust his density as he sees fit. He might vary day to day. If only Bashir saw fit to weigh him every day and compare the results :P

Liquid is HEAVY. (It sure changes my weight every month!) I can imagine Odo being heavier than he looks, since he kinda reminds me of a scarecrow with a solid torso and thin arms and legs. You'd think he's got nothing to him and bam, he might weigh like 260 lbs, all fluid.
Old May 13 2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

He might vary day to day.
Where does the mass come from? Where does it go? Odo doesn't eat or drink AFAWK (except for show on a rare occasion), and he doesn't leave bits of himself behind (supposedly, those bits would revert back to helpless and mindless goo and rush back to the "motherlode" of Odo matter - although adult Changelings might not have this limitation).

Somehow, Odo is able to do to mass (or to its inertia and gravity) something no biological being can do. Then again, Starfleet certainly knows how to make the inertia or gravity of mass go away (and come back)... Perhaps Odo is just the biological equivalent of a gravity generator, instinctively and genetically, even if he doesn't know how to imitate other types of fantastic technology?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:42 AM   #18
tafkats
Vice Admiral

LoneDragon wrote: View Post
One thing that has been bothering me though... Odo spends almost all of his time in humanoid form, but he still cant quite get the features right. The Founders surely spend most of their time NOT in humanoid form(they dont live among humanoids), yet some of them have been shown to copy people so well that they can replace them.
That is rather bizarre. He can form a perfectly functional Bajoran communicator, but not a humanoid face?

And for that matter ... shouldn't his humanoid form have some attempt at nose ridges?

Then again, maybe that was his first form and he views it as his heritage. He could be perfectly capable of looking like a normal human or Bajoran and simply not want to, because that's not who he is.
Old May 14 2013, 06:56 AM   #19
_C_
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
He might vary day to day.
Where does the mass come from? Where does it go? Odo doesn't eat or drink AFAWK (except for show on a rare occasion), and he doesn't leave bits of himself behind (supposedly, those bits would revert back to helpless and mindless goo and rush back to the "motherlode" of Odo matter - although adult Changelings might not have this limitation).

Somehow, Odo is able to do to mass (or to its inertia and gravity) something no biological being can do. Then again, Starfleet certainly knows how to make the inertia or gravity of mass go away (and come back)... Perhaps Odo is just the biological equivalent of a gravity generator, instinctively and genetically, even if he doesn't know how to imitate other types of fantastic technology?

Timo Saloniemi
The way I understand it, he seems to shunt mass and pull mass out of subspace depending on how large or small a given morph is. Which makes sense if Changelings grow as they exercise their abilities--maybe they pull mass from subspace and keep it somehow as they exercise their abilities.

And yes, that does seem to suggest a Changeling could, over a long period of time, accumulate enough mass to surround a whole planet! Actually that WOULD be kind of cool
Old May 14 2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

Definitely!

And if Changeling mass goes to subspace pockets, then it's unlikely that Odo actually forms any Bajoran communicators, and more likely that he takes his own factory-made communicator into a subspace pocket when pretending to be a drinking glass or a linoleum floor.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:59 PM   #21
_C_
Commander

That could be how he does it! I can so imagine if Odo wanted to, he could stick something into himself and carry it if he doesn't feel like forming a pocket in his uniform pants. I really think he could even learn to eat and drink if he can just figure out how to "contain" the food matter and later "spit" it out of his substance for disposal.

Old May 15 2013, 04:12 AM   #22
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

tafkats wrote: View Post

That is rather bizarre. He can form a perfectly functional Bajoran communicator, but not a humanoid face?

And for that matter ... shouldn't his humanoid form have some attempt at nose ridges?

Then again, maybe that was his first form and he views it as his heritage. He could be perfectly capable of looking like a normal human or Bajoran and simply not want to, because that's not who he is.
His face is a lot more human[oid] in S1 - he just looks like an old man with some makeup on []. It's only later that he gets a more rounded, squishy face - a face that just happens to match the other Founders in their "normal" solid form. Even Laas, who has never met another Founder, has that sort of look to him (even though he matches his original finders better than Odo ever did).
Old May 15 2013, 05:30 AM   #23
_C_
Commander

^I remember Rene saying somewhere that wearing the Odo makeup was like having a cold.