Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15 2013, 02:27 AM   #1921
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

GameOn wrote: View Post
Going from lieutenant to captain would have at least been more plausible.
Well...

According to the display during the space jump over Vulcan, Kirk was already a lieutenant.
Old May 15 2013, 02:42 AM   #1922
BillJ
Admiral

FX is currently showing a butchered version of Star Trek 2009.
Old May 15 2013, 02:55 AM   #1923
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

BillJ wrote: View Post
GameOn wrote: View Post
Going from lieutenant to captain would have at least been more plausible.
Well...

According to the display during the space jump over Vulcan, Kirk was already a lieutenant.
And that fits with some aspects of his muddled PrimeVerse backstory as well:

The chronology of Kirk's latter days in Starfleet Academy (entry date of 2250), and service aboard the USS Republic and USS Farragut, is somewhat muddled. In "Court Martial", Kirk discussed meeting Ben Finney at the Academy, and that they were assigned together aboard the Republic, "some years later". According to many sources, including the Star Trek Chronology, Ensign Kirk's tour-of-duty aboard the Republic took place while Kirk was still an Academy cadet. In "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Gary Mitchell refers to Kirk a lieutenant while serving in the Academy, but it is not clear if this means a midshipman or a commissioned lieutenant.

In "Obsession", Kirk stated that Captain Garrovick of the Farragut was "my commanding officer from the day I left the Academy". In "A Private Little War" (taking place in 2268), he mentioned his first planet survey as young lieutenant on Neural thirteen years prior (in 2255) – leading many to believe that Kirk had graduated and was serving aboard the Farragut at the time.

Stephen E. Whitfield's 1968 book The Making of Star Trek states that "Kirk rose rapidly through the ranks and received his first command (the equivalent of a destroyer-class space ship) while still quite young." This has never been stated on screen.

One explanation of Kirk's problematic promotion history is that he received a brevet rank of ensign while at the Academy, and that his tour-of-duty aboard the Republic took place prior to his graduation as an advanced training cruise. Kirk would then have returned to the Academy, received a promotion to Lieuenant (or possibily Lieutenant Junior Grade), and served as a student instructor thereby fitting with Mitchell's statement that he remembered "Lieutenant Kirk at the Academy". It then would fit that Kirk would be commissioned from the Academy as a full Lieutenant in 2254 to serve under Captain Garrovick "from the day he left the Academy". However, dialog from episodes neither supports nor refutes this conclusion.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jame...rk#Ambiguities
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:58 AM   #1924
doylem1
Ensign

Well after seeing the film yesterday, i felt it was as weak as the Final Frontier, Yeah the special effects were great but the film lacked the heart and soul that Wrath of Khan had, the death and resurrection of Kirk was as hallow and emotionally empty a scene i've seen in a film for a while. Spock's death in the WOK had far more impact, emotion and feeling attached
Simon Pegg as Scotty just doesn't do the character justice for me, nor does the guy playing Chekov
Star Trek 09 was a far better film than this one and left me buzzing about trek again when i left the cinema, This film didn't feel like a Star Trek film and the TOS episode Space Seed and Movie Wrath of Khan it pays homage to are far better a watch than this film.

JJ go do take a breaks and if you come back do something original, i know Hollywood is all out of ideas at present with all the remakes, and prequels its throwing out, But rather than try to remake a classic film with a different take and make a total hash of it. You created an alt timeline ripe for new stories and new adventures so stick with it.

Despite the criticism Insurrection and Nemesis gets i enjoyed those films better than this one, Might be because instead of big effects it focused more on the characters which makes you care whether they live or die. Star Trek into the Darkness didn't make me care about the characters.

It may be one of those films that you warm to after seeing it a few times but i certainly didn't warm to it 1st time
doylem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:59 AM   #1925
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
But, in 2009, I had fun with Star Trek for the first time in a very long time. Somewhere along the way those in charge of the franchise forgot it was suppose to be fun.

Yep.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 03:05 AM   #1926
BillJ
Admiral

The edits on FX are brutal.
Old May 15 2013, 04:11 AM   #1927
ConRefit79
Captain

doylem1 wrote: View Post
JJ go do take a breaks and if you come back do something original, i know Hollywood is all out of ideas at present with all the remakes, and prequels its throwing out, But rather than try to remake a classic film with a different take and make a total hash of it. You created an alt timeline ripe for new stories and new adventures so stick with it.
Amen.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:23 AM   #1928
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They created a new timeline so that they could use whatever they want from Star Trek history without being beholden to that tired continuity and style. And that is exactly what they're doing.

So far, so good.
Old May 15 2013, 04:24 AM   #1929
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Well after seeing the film yesterday, i felt it was as weak as the Final Frontier
Pretty harsh

Despite the criticism Insurrection and Nemesis gets i enjoyed those films better than this one, Might be because instead of big effects it focused more on the characters which makes you care whether they live or die.
At some time during INS(maybe while he was playing in the haystack) I wished Data would die and in NEM I wished he had lived

I loved STID but I also wished they had a few more character scenes. You know like Spock and Kirk playing chess, Someone complaining about the replicators, McCoy having a drink with Kirk, Kirk ringing his Mum saying he'd lost the Enterprise. Just 5 minutes of movie time.
The movie had too hectic a pace I suppose to include these moments but maybe in the next movie?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:28 AM   #1930
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Who the fuck judges a movie on the basis of goddamned Chekov, anyway?
Old May 15 2013, 05:12 AM   #1931
dulcimer47
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm usually the last to say anything positive about B&B, but I'll say this for them: they ever resorted to re-making an existing story.

This isn't Star Trek, not even close, and no amount of box office success will change that.

I just hope that someday we will see real Star Trek again.
dulcimer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:17 AM   #1932
Borgminister

dulcimer47 wrote: View Post
I'm usually the last to say anything positive about B&B, but I'll say this for them: they ever resorted to re-making an existing story.

This isn't Star Trek, not even close, and no amount of box office success will change that.

Yes, they ever resorted to doing so indeed!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:20 AM   #1933
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Fine with all that, but you didn't answer the question this board NEEDS to know ... badly!

What did you think was wrong with Chekov and why did it matter?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:24 AM   #1934
Borgminister

The Russian accent was vey off.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:24 AM   #1935
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Yeah, they made a bunch of movies that - bar one - are widely panned by critics and fans alike. I mean Trek fans are pretty hardcore, but I'm pretty sure most of us gave up with Nemesis, the only TNG film I didn't see.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote