Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: The Valiant never seen....

Old May 3 2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

Nice work.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 07:02 PM   #33
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Warped9,

Awesome!

Thanks,

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:40 PM   #34
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Hey, you've probably said already, but I'm curious to know - what renderer do you use for Sketchup?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:45 PM   #35
spockboy
Lieutenant

Beautiful work!
Old May 14 2013, 09:48 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

[QUOTE=Irishman;8088169]
Hey, you've probably said already, but I'm curious to know - what renderer do you use for Sketchup?
Maxwell.
Old May 14 2013, 10:00 PM   #37
Irishman
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=Warped9;8088220]
Irishman wrote: View Post
Maxwell.
Easy to pick up? Backstory for why I'm asking. If you might recall, about a year ago, I was trying to get started in 3D in an old Win XP machine, where the program would run like molasses, and a decent resolution render would take hours!

Now, fast-forward to this past Christmas, and my lovely wife got me a new iMac. It's got 3D power to spare, and I'm thinking about getting into it seriously.

Especially after seeing how much creative luck you're having with SU.

Does Maxwell have any limitations, or weird quirks I should know about before trying?
Old May 14 2013, 10:43 PM   #38
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The amount of work that has gone into these images is truly impressive but I find myself unable to convince myself that the United Earth Space Ship Valiant did look like that.

The main body reminds me too much of the space shuttle's fuel tank or a blimp, and the archaic design and outer shell of the Valiant's recorder marker suggests a closer relation to either the design DY-100 or the (unseen) DY-500. Just my humble opinion and assuming Warped9 is interested in various kinds of feedback.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:02 PM   #39
Warped9
Admiral

^^ The main body is actually the spaceship Friede from Woman In The Moon (1929) stretched out a bit in the nose and tapered a little. The resemblance to the shuttle orbiter's fuel tank is coincidental. And I don't think the recorder marker is really any more indicative of what the Valiant should look like than a reel-to-reel tape player indicates what a 1950's or '60's era fighter jet should look like.

Maxwell.
Easy to pick up? Backstory for why I'm asking. If you might recall, about a year ago, I was trying to get started in 3D in an old Win XP machine, where the program would run like molasses, and a decent resolution render would take hours!

Now, fast-forward to this past Christmas, and my lovely wife got me a new iMac. It's got 3D power to spare, and I'm thinking about getting into it seriously.

Especially after seeing how much creative luck you're having with SU.

Does Maxwell have any limitations, or weird quirks I should know about before trying?
I taught myself how to use SketchUp through trial-and-error and watching/reading some tutorials. Maxwell was a bit more involved to learn (I found), but again their online or pdf manuals can help you learn the tools. Another advantage is Maxwell works right within SketchUp---you don't have to export your model into another program to render it. The only quirk I've come across is that Maxwell can be a bit too high resolution in showing the facets that make up a curved surface. If you study the model in this thread (as well as models in my A Parade of Spaceships thread) you can see what I mean. One way to minimize that is (where appropriate) make curved surfaces with as many facets as possible to make the surface look smoother. I try to do this with large curved surfaces. With small curved surfaces than I use fewer sides to the curve to get fewer facets. I haven't been able to make an appreciable difference within SketchUp by increasing the angle of smoothing. Maxwell also has some lighting abilities within it that I appreciate.

Truth is I'm still learning Maxwell and slowly learning how to get more out of it. I do suggest you go for the licensed version (cost me only $99) because you get more functions out of the program as well as larger resolution images than you do with the free version.

Regarding SketchUp many have advised me that the Pro version isn't necessary because there are so many plugins available for the free version that help give you a greater diversity of tools.
Old May 14 2013, 11:36 PM   #40
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Any idea what resolution the free MAXWELL limits you to? I was going to do Kerkythea, but it seems to no longer have a website to download from.
Old May 14 2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

Any idea what resolution the free MAXWELL limits you to? I was going to do Kerkythea, but it seems to no longer have a website to download from.
With the free version maximum image resolution is 800 x 800. With the licensed version maximum resolution is full HD (1920x1080) and it includes a production render engine - which means that it is equipped to deal with more complex lighting. Of course there are other rendering engines for SketchUp that will run on Mac. I also use an iMac.

For myself I would like to have tried Blender but I found it hard to get started with it. SketchUp was a (relative) breeze to get started with, but admittedly it doesn't work like Blender.
Old May 15 2013, 12:51 AM   #42
Irishman
Fleet Captain

With the free version maximum image resolution is 800 x 800. With the licensed version maximum resolution is full HD (1920x1080) and it includes a production render engine - which means that it is equipped to deal with more complex lighting. Of course there are other rendering engines for SketchUp that will run on Mac. I also use an iMac.

For myself I would like to have tried Blender but I found it hard to get started with it. SketchUp was a (relative) breeze to get started with, but admittedly it doesn't work like Blender.
I think what I might do is try the free version to see if it speaks to me.

$99 is a bit much to swallow right now.

ETA: Did it make you downgrade your version of Silverlight from 5 to 4 in order to make Maxwell run?? That's what it told me I have to do.

Last edited by Irishman; May 15 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old May 15 2013, 01:33 AM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

Did it make you downgrade your version of Silverlight from 5 to 4 in order to make Maxwell run?? That's what it told me I have to do.
Yeah, no biggee.