Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 14 2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: Over-saturation

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Not a chance. A movie every three to four years is not anything like having two series on simultaneously, while also releasing films.
Yeah, if anything, these new films have resurrected the franchise to some degree, without which we'd be headlong into the general population beginning to forget all about it or look at it like ancient history
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:16 PM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Oversaturation? We're getting a movie every four years, and a promotional episode to encourage DVD sales every few months, and that's it. The rest of it is just tweaking to double dip in the sales like Lucas did every time he rereleased the Star Wars movies in the 90's and early 2000's.
Old May 15 2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I'd say both over-saturation and quality had a lot to do with the decline early this decade.

The last two TNG movies were considered bad, Enterprise was cancelled, and Voyager was considered lackluster and disappointing (if I'm reading everything correctly).

The last episode of Enterprise was a TNG holodeck recreation that got blasted by members of both casts.

One good thing about the over saturation is that fans get a lot of extras like articles, books and forums--this forum might not be as big or active if Trek stopped at TNG.

I watched Spartacus, and it was only 3 short seasons with only 10 episodes per season for the last two.

It had a forum that was very active and hot while it was on, but once the show ended, the posts fizzled out and now it has only a few die hard fans posting.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:44 AM   #19
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

MikeS wrote: View Post

There are other things outside of Trek...

Well sure...who is suggesting otherwise?
Old May 15 2013, 06:50 PM   #20
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Why are you worrying about the release (or lack of release) of HD discs that you're not going to purchase anyway, or if you do buy them, won't watch anyway?
You misunderstand me. I will buy. I will watch. I just don't want to do it all in five minutes. Spread it out, do it properly, savour it.
Old May 15 2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Pavonis
Commodore

You couldn't possibly do it in just five minutes anyway. There's, what, 700+ hours of Trek. If you want to "savor", do so. So what if it takes you years to get through all of the shows and films?

I just don't get what you mean by "over-saturation". You were around for the real over-saturation of Trek in the 1990s, weren't you?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 09:55 PM   #22
MikeS
Fleet Captain

You were around for the real over-saturation of Trek in the 1990s, weren't you?
Yes. I was.
Old May 15 2013, 10:15 PM   #23
Pavonis
Commodore

Then why are you comparing now to then?
Old May 15 2013, 11:04 PM   #24
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Were my previous posts not clear enough? I'll try again.

Because in the space of three months we have had two seasons of TNG, one of ENT and a new movie. Even in the late nineties fans weren't asked to shell out for this many hours of Trek all at once.

I am enjoying TNG HD one episode at a time, one per week, with others in the TNG forum. We are up to Q, Who. I haven't gotten around to buying the third season yet and don't intend to until I have "savoured" the second fully. I wondered if other people were in this situation and whether CBS might thus perceive season three as a bad-seller. I expressed my fears that this might effect their desire to do DS9 etc.

Also, I made a point about the way TNG HD season two had turned out and felt that if they'd have taken the release schedule a little more slowly CBS could have remastered it and avoided the botch-job we got.

Is it the word I've used? "Over-saturated"? Perhaps I should have said "market flooded with goodies"? "Over-saturated with remastered merchandise"? I am trying really hard to understand your argument here and can only think it is a misunderstanding of language?
Old May 15 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore

No, your previous posts weren't clear enough for me. No one is "asked" to shell out money for the all these Trek discs. Few people want all the Trek shows in their collection. And apparently you are alone in thinking the releases are "too fast" and alone in seeking to "savor" the episodes. I don't understand the need to "savor" it. When I watch the Trek shows, I run in spurts - a few episodes back-to-back, then long periods without watching it at all. Recreating a weekly episode release doesn't seem necessary or desirable, and I don't understand why anyone would want to recreate the 1990s.

I'll leave you to your once weekly viewing now. Have fun with it.
Old May 15 2013, 11:18 PM   #26
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I agree, I do seem to be alone in the viewpoint that they are being released too fast. That is why I asked the question. But just as you do not understand my need to "savour" things done properly, I do not understand your need to rush through things in "spurts". I am not trying to recreate the nineties, just enjoying an experience, one I'd rather was done properly.

Different strokes.
Old May 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #27
horatio83
Commodore

Oversaturation? To me there is never enough Trek. More options are never a bad thing and if I don't like a particular movie or series I do not have to watch it.
Old May 15 2013, 11:26 PM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

RE: MikeS. The conditions you're describing -- a flood of Star Trek catalog titles on home video -- is no different than the early 2000s. (Actually, on DVD, TNG came out at a faster rate than it has on Blu-Ray).

The difference between then and now is that in the early 2000s there was a theatrical movie on the horizon and a Star Trek show on television; now all we have are the movies. If the market is currently saturated with Star Trek then it has been saturated for two decades.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 01:55 AM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Because in the space of three months we have had two seasons of TNG, one of ENT and a new movie. Even in the late nineties fans weren't asked to shell out for this many hours of Trek all at once.
A lot of it is because of the new movie. It is standard when new movies are released in popular franchises to really pump product out related to it. The James Bond movies were re-issued last year prior to Skyfall's release, there was a ton of Batman stuff last summer before The Dark Knight Rises was released. Even before Trek XI's release in 2009 all three seasons of TOS and all ten Prime movies got their first blu-ray release.
Old May 16 2013, 03:08 AM   #30
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Oversaturation? We're getting a movie every four years, and a promotional episode to encourage DVD sales every few months, and that's it.
A promotional episode?!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote