Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 14 2013, 10:30 PM   #16
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: What space based scifi is doing wrong? No Fantasy and magic drama!

Chensams wrote: View Post
7 seasons of TNG, 7 seasons of DS9, and 7 seasons of VOY are far from flops. Followed by 4 seasons of ENT, Trek was on continuously for 18 years. Off the top of my head, only Law & Order, the Simpsons, and Gunsmoke were on TV longer than that. Seemed pretty successful to me.
All in the Family has gotta be close (Started in 1971), it spun off Maude (Which spun off Good Times) and The Jeffersons (ended in 1985) which spun off at least 1 short lived Florence show) as well as spinning off/retooling to Archie Bunker's Place and a Gloria Spin off or two.

ETA: OK, checking more thoroughly, I guess it only last from 1971 (All in the Family) to 1985 (The Jeffersons). All the other spinoffs seem to have all finished before The Jeffersons ended. Still 15 years, so, kinda close

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; May 14 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 10:52 PM   #17
tighr
Commodore

I read this thread and the first thing I think of is Star Wars. (And then I'm reminded that Episode I gave us a "tech" answer to the mystical Force.)
Old May 14 2013, 11:45 PM   #18
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Chensams wrote: View Post
7 seasons of TNG, 7 seasons of DS9, and 7 seasons of VOY are far from flops. Followed by 4 seasons of ENT, Trek was on continuously for 18 years. Off the top of my head, only Law & Order, the Simpsons, and Gunsmoke were on TV longer than that. Seemed pretty successful to me.
All in the Family has gotta be close (Started in 1971), it spun off Maude (Which spun off Good Times) and The Jeffersons (ended in 1985) which spun off at least 1 short lived Florence show) as well as spinning off/retooling to Archie Bunker's Place and a Gloria Spin off or two.

ETA: OK, checking more thoroughly, I guess it only last from 1971 (All in the Family) to 1985 (The Jeffersons). All the other spinoffs seem to have all finished before The Jeffersons ended. Still 15 years, so, kinda close
Not to mention The Tonight Show, Letterman's current show, SNL, daytime soap operas and game shows, or Dr. Who's original run if you're counting British series....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
I read this thread and the first thing I think of is Star Wars. (And then I'm reminded that Episode I gave us a "tech" answer to the mystical Force.)
No, it gave a biological answer, rather than a technological one. But I understand your point - some people were happier with no explanation at all. There had to be a biological component, though, just to explain the inheritance of strength in the force.

At any rate, "space-based scifi" isn't doing anything wrong. Vampires and zombies and fantasies have been popular lately; in twenty years, space opera may be the top of the heap on TV and in films again.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:10 AM   #20
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Space Opera is doing pretty damn well in films right now.
Old May 15 2013, 02:47 PM   #21
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Space Opera is doing pretty damn well in films right now.
Yea, that's what I was thinking, there's at least 2 or 3 blockbuster Space Opera movies a year, and Star Wars is moving towards waking up and becoming a staple again

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 03:55 PM   #22
tighr
Commodore

Pavonis wrote: View Post
No, it gave a biological answer, rather than a technological one. But I understand your point - some people were happier with no explanation at all. There had to be a biological component, though, just to explain the inheritance of strength in the force.

At any rate, "space-based scifi" isn't doing anything wrong. Vampires and zombies and fantasies have been popular lately; in twenty years, space opera may be the top of the heap on TV and in films again.
There is plenty of space-based scifi, and whether it be "tech" or "fantasy", it has the opportunity to succeed. No one is skipping stuff.
Old May 19 2013, 01:23 AM   #23
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

(And then I'm reminded that Episode I gave us a "tech" answer to the mystical Force.)
To the mechanism of Force sensitivity, not to the Force itself.
Old May 19 2013, 05:01 PM   #24
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I don't see how that was necessary. It just seems like Lucas recycling ideas from his original SW script.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:58 AM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Not this year: We have Oblivion, After Earth, STID, Elysium, Gravity, Ender's Game and more.