Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 14 2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Re: Amok Time doesn't make sense.

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
A Starfleet captain who knows nothing about the culture of their fellow Federation co-founders is bad enough, but a Starfleet doctor who knows nothing about Vulcan physiology despite having a half-Vulcan crew member is just ridiculous.
Your problem is you're trying to evaluate the original Star Trek in light of what later Treks became rather than by what it actually was.

Later Treks have developed a Trek history that says Vulcans were very involved in Earth's first "baby steps" into space and were ubiquitous (and overbearing) on Earth through much of that time.

In TOS, Spock, as an alien serving on an "Earth ship," was a real rarity, and the Vulcans were a mysterious and rather secretive species.

EDIT: I see Admiral Buzzkill and ssosmcin made the same points while I was composing this post.
Old May 14 2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sturgeon also conceived - as the producers of Trek at that time apparently also did - of interstellar travel as a time consuming challenge that only a limited number of vessels could routinely undertake. A privacy-minded species living on a distant planet could very well have been expected to keep a great many secrets.

These days in Trek, Kirk would probably have given Spock the use of a shuttle and Spock would have jetted off to Vulcan on his own for a long weekend while the Enterprise kept its itinerary - and if it wasn't done that way, some fans would want to know why Kirk didn't think of that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
A privacy-minded species living on a distant planet could very well have been expected to keep a great many secrets.
Like a secret brother, for example....

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

I still don't buy that the Captain was completely ignorant of the cultural history of the species of one of his own crewmembers. How could he have graduated from Starfleet Academy having failed his Xenoanthropology paper?

Even more so for the Chief Medical Officer not to know about the typical Vulcan life-cycle, regardless of having a half-Vulcan crewmember or not. You don't expect a veterinary surgeon to "not know dogs" for example.

There's suspension of disbelief and there's stretching it to breaking point.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ In TOS, Vulcan culture would not have been taught at Starfleet Academy because the Vulcans did not discuss such things with "outworlders." Same with Vulcan sexual practices.

(And if you're tempted to counter that, taboo or not, Spock would have easily discussed it with his captain and best friend, then you need to rewatch "Amok Time." )

In TOS, there was not a Vulcan around every corner like there was in some of the spinoffs.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; May 15 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Jonas Grumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

We have seen a precedent with Archer. An United Earth Starfleet captain who has no idea about the local interstellar neighborhood.
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

So T'Pring ... was taking a big risk that the victor of Spock's battle didn't decide to drag her along and make her live on the Enterprise anyway.
I think it was pretty obvious that originally Stonn was going to be T'Pring's choice for her champian, selecting Kirk was a spur of the moment decision. For all the reasons she would later mention, plus she wouldn't have to risk her lover.

A Starfleet captain who knows nothing about the culture of their fellow Federation co-founders is bad enough, but a Starfleet doctor who knows nothing about Vulcan physiology despite having a half-Vulcan crew member is just ridiculous.
Nothing is likely an over-statement. If there were 150 members in Picard's time, I personally figure there were something like 35 - 50 in Kirk's time. That Kirk would reasonable have more than a passing knowledge of all of them is unlikely. Even the one that produced his first officer.

And it's also unlikely that McCoy knew "nothing," he just didn't know everything. Which is probably the story with many Federation Member species.

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
And if you're tempted to counter that, taboo or not, Spock would have easily discussed it with his captain and best friend, then you need to rewatch "Amok Time."
I have found it odd through the years, that fans seem to assume that as soon as Kirk and McCoy returned to the Enterprise, they immediately spread the intimate details of pon farr to the entire galaxy. As Spock's friends they both would have kept their mouth's shut on the matter, if you choose your friends carefully, you can trust them with your secrets.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:27 AM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I still don't buy that the Captain was completely ignorant of the cultural history of the species of one of his own crewmembers. How could he have graduated from Starfleet Academy having failed his Xenoanthropology paper?
Again: when "Amok Time" was written, we had no idea how secretive this peculiar and distant species was.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:51 AM   #24
TheSubCommander
Captain

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
^ In TOS, Vulcan culture would not have been taught at Starfleet Academy because the Vulcans did not discuss such things with "outworlders." Same with Vulcan sexual practices.

And if you're tempted to counter that, taboo or not, Spock would have easily discussed it with his captain and best friend, then you need to rewatch "Amok Time."

In TOS, there was not a Vulcan around every corner like there was in some of the spinoffs.
Agreed. Not to mention that while T'Pol might qualify as a precedent, in the times of Enterprise, it was even more of an era of "cowboy diplomacy" and who knows WHAT Archer left of out the "official" report. Also, that era also establishes a great distrust between Vulcans and humans, and that undoubtedly continued even into the TOS era. Also, not many Wulcans served alongside humans, and until T'Pol, it was generally assumed Spock was one of the first Vulcans to serve to do so. Even in TOS, for the USS Intrepid was crewed by exclusively Vulcans.

Bottom line: do I buy Kirk not knowing the specifics of Vulcan mating? Totally.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:01 AM   #25
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
True, and remember most times the Enterprise was mentioned as being a "Earth ship." Spock was apparently the only alien on board and there was no indication of "founding members" of the Federation. And Starfleet seemed to be Earth-centric (United Earth Space Probe Agency, for example). Most of what fans know about the Feds and the Vulcans came much later in the sequel series.
Of course in the "Earth Ship" and UESPA episodes there was no Federation. The Enterprise was an Earth ship. Star Trek was still evolving back then.
Old May 15 2013, 05:16 AM   #26
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised the ritual didn't include a corridor of smashy crushers to traverse...
"Smashy crushers"? Is that a Kiwi thing?
Old May 15 2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Personally, I thought it stupid for Kirk to get wrapped up in it. Sure, he doesn't want to lose his first officer (thinking Stonn would kill him), but then to have his first officer kill him? Fight to the death. And if he gets lucky and wins? Either way he loses. ILLOGICAL. But McCoy saved the day, slipping him a neural paralyzer. Knocked him out, simulated death. Even still, Kirk could have started to lose consciousness at the wrong moment and then Spock would have decapitated him once his guard was down. And no, the neural paralyzer wasn't a Kirk/Bones collaboration--no dialog to support it. He was on a path of losing either way. Really stupid.

I can't stand this episode and never watch it, although if forced I'd pick this one over "And The Children Shall Lead."
Old May 15 2013, 06:03 AM   #28
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
It is only in the much later "Cloud Minders" that Spock speaks of a seven-year cycle, but there he merely half-heartedly nods at Droxine's belief that "Vulcans only take a mate every seven years". He doesn't sound as if he were saying he swaps wives every seven years, so this reads more like he's saying he can choose a wife once in his life, with opportunities coming up only every seven years. After getting properly hitched, he's free of the cycle, and probably has very logical sex thrice a day and five times a night throughout the rest of his life, except when he feels like having a chocolate instead.
That's a good idea, but it's contradicted later on (and there's nothing in "Amok Time" to support that, either). At the beginning of the Voyager episode "Alice" (I can't believe that I'm citing Voyager, never mind one of my least favourite episodes - but it happens to be showing on Space as I type this), Paris and Kim are trying to guess Tuvok's age, and Paris makes a reference to Tuvok's 11th pon farr having taken place in 2304 (or something to that effect - I didn't know when the episode started that I'd be posting in this thread, or I would have paid closer attention to the dialogue).

But pon farr might be something that Vulcans who don't have access to logical sex thrice a day and five times a night (nice turn of phrase, BTW ) suffer from, like an addict who can't get a fix for an extended period.

Hm, the ever-logical Vulcans are secret sex addicts...

scotpens wrote: View Post
I'm surprised the ritual didn't include a corridor of smashy crushers to traverse...
I took it as a Galaxy Quest reference.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:30 PM   #29
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I took it as a Galaxy Quest reference.
Indeed it was.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:00 PM   #30
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I assumed it meant Crusher's great-great grandma running around smashing stuff.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote