Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 13 2013, 07:06 AM   #796
Dream
Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Clone army? What the hell is this, Star Wars?!
Old May 13 2013, 07:17 AM   #797
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's really no different much from the spacial scission that created two Voyagers a few weeks earlier.

If Janeway had any sense she would have got a massive stockpile of antimatter secreted nearby, and then spent a month going back and forth through the scission until there were thousands of Voyagers and they didn't have to be afraid when they inevitably breached Borg Space.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:41 AM   #798
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I could actually see Janeway going for that.
Old May 13 2013, 09:47 AM   #799
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
. . . Spock thought it as bad because man never invented warp drive, which is ridiculous, the Nazi's would have had a man on the moon by 1952. Maybe the reason that man never made it out into space in that timeline is that the Aryan Nation in charge was just wonderfully content with the paradise they had created after removing all the unwanted elements form the gene pool.
In the timeline in which Edith Keeler doesn't die in 1930, we only know that the Enterprise (and, by implication, Starfleet) doesn't exist. There's nothing to suggest that man never made it into space or that warp drive was never invented. A Nazi-ruled 23rd-century Earth could well be the seat of an interstellar Empire.
Old May 13 2013, 01:58 PM   #800
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
I could actually see Janeway going for that.
Yes sir, her army or evil.

Old May 14 2013, 04:14 AM   #801
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

^LOL

If the Dominion had pushed the Federation far enough they would have caved and made clones. Who wouldn't want to pump out endless soldiers that you dumbed down from having any people feelings and needs rather than just have your own people wiped out? The plans were probably already in motion, should it come to that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:42 AM   #802
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What if there was a means to double, treble or quadruple the IQ of the jem'Hadar?

Some version of what happened to Barclay in TNG The Nth Degree.

Yes, intellect trumps faith.

Although intellect does have trouble against brainwashing since birth.

So you probably have to wipe their memories like in TNG Conundrum first.

Old May 14 2013, 08:49 PM   #803
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Sci;8078842][QUOTE=Hartzilla2007;8075635]
Sci wrote: View Post

You've missed the point. A commander can order a fellow officer to do their duty to the crew even if the consequence is death; so Troi can order the chief engineer to repair the warp drive even if it means fatal radiation poisoning. We cannot order the chief engineer to simply be killed.

Don't be absurd. Morality is more important than anything else; the entire point of life is to be moral. And besides, Tuvix was as competent an officer as Tuvok; killing him and replacing him with a copy of Tuvok does not actually benefit ship's efficiency.

No, you missed the point. It was pointed out to Deanna by Riker , very very clearly, that her first duty IS TO THE SHIP. The ship. Deanna's whole trouble with the test was that she was having difficulty sending a person, any person, to their death. Morals have nothing to do sometimes with command decisions when the first duty is to the ship.

To quote Deanna, right after the test, "That's what this is all about wasn't it? To see if I would order someone to their death?"

Riker: "That's right."

Riker said nothing about being prepared for only command decisions regarding Engineering deaths, but to be prepared to make what he called, the "hard choice."

Getting back to Janeway and Tuvix. Janeway had to make a hard choice, and one way or another the "moral" high ground simply wasn't available to her. Morally, like she herself said and Kes agreed with, the captain had a moral obligation to Tuvok's family and Neelix's. She had a command obligation to the ship.

And why is Tuvix morally innocent. It is the moral obligation of any Starfleet officer to sacrifice their lives for another. Tuvix had an opportunity to save the lives of two men. I counter that it was Tuvix who was as morally wrong in this argument on whether he should be separated or not.

Here's another question I'm curious about. Why is Tuvix and Janeway's decision to seperate him any different than Captain Archer's order to use Sim, Trip Tucker's clone, to sacrifice his life in order to save his Chief Engineer? Why do we not have a Archer's Decision To Kill Sim thread? It's the same situation.

And morally, is not the prime directive also an immoral directive? The point being that not all command decisions can have a clear cut moral high ground to live up to?

You must have a...resenment towards Captain Janeway to brand her a murderer when every Captain from Kirk to Archer has made those kind of choices themselves.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:02 PM   #804
MacLeod
Admiral

Except strictly speaking Tuvix isn't a member of Starfleet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:06 PM   #805
Gov Kodos
Admiral

He's a Brundlefly made of two starfleet officers. Separate him.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:31 PM   #806
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yes he was. He was given the rank of Lieutenant.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:45 PM   #807
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Halliwell wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yes he was. He was given the rank of Lieutenant.
The Maquis had ranks, too, but they weren't really Starfleet. IIRC, Janeway could only offer them provisional commissions, pending return to the Alpha Quadrant.
Old May 14 2013, 10:24 PM   #808
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You don't have to and you're not supposed to follow illegal orders.

HoloGeordi just shuffled off to his own death because he could see that it was his duty to say the ship and the other thousand people on board Enterprise.

But he could have just as easily said "Go fuck yourself."

Well, not just as easily, his sacrifice meant that a thousand people would live and that's hard to ignore.

Tuvix's sacrifice meant nothing.

The ship wasn't in danger, he could do both Neelix and Tuvok's jobs.

And he'd win over Kes eventually with persistence.

Were Neelix and Tuvok struggling to get out, or were they happy inside him?

Tuvix claimed that they were happy and his parents.

Seems like a slam dunk.

On the case of Sim.

That guy had a seven DAY life cycle.

He refused to help Trip because he believed that if he missed the window where his parts were ripe for Trip's ailing body, that in the remaining 2 days left to him, that magically Phlox could give him another 40 years.

I forget. Did Phlox find a way to give Sim another 40 years and still cut him up for parts, or did the Doctor run out of time?

Old May 14 2013, 10:30 PM   #809
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Remember that episode where Tuvok and Neelix both needed kidney transplants, and the only available donor was Crewman Bob? You know, the annoying guy Janeway found creepy.

That sure was awesome of Janeway to make the hard decision and have Bob's kidney's forcibly removed to save Tuvok and Neelix. I really don't know what Bob's problem was. It was so selfish of him to want those kidneys for himself. Janeway should have killed him sooner.

No moral dilemma there. No sir. Janeway sure is smart.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 10:38 PM   #810
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

There should have been some comeback from Tuvok and Neelix after they were separated again.

Like an acknowledgement from them both that Janeway did either the right or wrong thing, something to give the whole Tuvix controversy some closure.

It would have been interesting if one of them agreed with Janeway's decision to separate them, and the other one preferred being Tuvix.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote