Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 14 2013, 06:45 PM   #31
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: Capitalisation of I

^^
Haha, that "rule" you were taught was never correct.

Large changes in the spelling conventions of the german language happened around 2000 (couple years earlier with a transition period), with some additional changes in the following years.
Old May 14 2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

mari wrote: View Post
How new is this rule?
It's from the reform of the spelling reform. I am not 100% sure about the year but I believe it must have been around 2004.
I much prefer and still use the old spelling. For official papers I am to use the reformed spelling which is why I am fluent in both.

Merci bien, Shaytan, à l'aide rapide et détaillé
(LOL naah, I am not that good yet. Am still at lesson #1 in my book. I just have a good instinct for the structure of a language so that I can realize where the translation software screws up and correct it accordingly.)
Old May 14 2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

I forgot : whatever you see in the news today, it's not everyday like that.
Old May 14 2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Actually, a lot of nouns and other words are capitalized in the US Constitution that we don't normally capitalize today. I don't know what the style is called, for that.
I just call it archaic, and it's typical of the writing of the day. I kind of get a kick out of it and occasionally do it myself.

I wonder, does anybody dots i's and j's when they write or print? I can't remember ever actually doing that, except maybe in early grade school.
I have always dotted my i's and j's. To be honest I don't think I've seen someone not do it. The dots are so integral to those letters!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:38 PM   #35
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Yeah, my last German class was about 20 years ago and as i said, i really havent read or written a lot of German since then...
Old May 14 2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Third Nacelle
Captain

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Actually, a lot of nouns and other words are capitalized in the US Constitution that we don't normally capitalize today. I don't know what the style is called, for that.
I just call it archaic, and it's typical of the writing of the day. I kind of get a kick out of it and occasionally do it myself.

I wonder, does anybody dots i's and j's when they write or print? I can't remember ever actually doing that, except maybe in early grade school.
I have always dotted my i's and j's. To be honest I don't think I've seen someone not do it. The dots are so integral to those letters!
Turkish actually has a dotted i and an undotted ı. The dotted İ is even dotted when capitalized.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:03 PM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

Indeed. I have never seen them without the dot.
Old May 14 2013, 09:07 PM   #38
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

Turkish actually has a dotted i and an undotted ı. The dotted İ is even dotted when capitalized.
Now that's cool. I would love to have capitalized I's with dots.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:29 PM   #39
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

My experience with people who don't dot their i's and j's is from when they write in cursive, when of course the pen generally stays down for the whole word, except to go back and dot i's and j's, cross t's and x's, or anything else I've forgotten to mention. I've seen people just skip all or part of that last step.

Why? I don't know. Maybe they're sloppy, in a rush, getting into the groove of letting their thoughts out, thinking it's perfectly legible without the extra effort, etc.
Old May 15 2013, 09:59 AM   #40
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I never write in cursive, actually. The dots just seem pointless to me (no pun intended ). It's not that they slow me down when writing-- I'm not usually in a hurry. I just never even think about them. I'm surprised that a lot of people use them.
Old May 15 2013, 11:15 AM   #41
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

I always thought I put the tittles (the word for the dots!) but when I looked back over my writing I hardly ever do. I write in cursive so it looks like I just get to the end of the word and keep going. It makes sense because I principally write in lectures when I have to keep up my lecturer.
Old May 15 2013, 12:28 PM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Indeed. I have never seen them without the dot.
well an undotted i could be mistaken for a l (L).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:08 PM   #43
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Shaytan wrote: View Post
French doesn't capitalise its formal you (vous). We're rude, never forget that !
Interestingly, it is not uncommon to capitalize you formal in Italian (Lei). I think the reason is that "lei" is also she, so it is done to distinguish the two.

If I'm not mistaken, Usted (Spanish you formal) is also capitalized, but I could be wrong. It might only be capitalized when abbreviated (Ud. for usted, Uds. for ustedes).
Old May 16 2013, 05:42 AM   #44
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Sam_I_Am wrote: View Post
I always thought I put the tittles (the word for the dots!) . . .
Heh-heh . . . tittles . . . heh-heh-heh . . .

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Usted (Spanish you formal) is also capitalized, but I could be wrong. It might only be capitalized when abbreviated (Ud. for usted, Uds. for ustedes).
That's how I learned it in high school. The formal pronoun usted is not capitalized when spelled out, but the abbreviation Ud. is capitalized.
Old May 16 2013, 03:07 PM   #45
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

OK, I couldn't remember to be sure. Now watch someone correct my Italian as well