Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 13 2013, 01:08 AM   #31
Third Nacelle
Captain

Re: Cacelled Shows 2012-2013

Without 30 Rock and The Office, I will no longer have any reason to watch network television. Everything I like is on cable now - discounting the possibility of something good starting this fall.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:14 AM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And how likely is that?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:21 PM   #33
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Without 30 Rock and The Office, I will no longer have any reason to watch network television. Everything I like is on cable now - discounting the possibility of something good starting this fall.
If you liked The Office and 30 Rock, have you given Parks and Recreation a try?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

It's about time they officially killed Rules of Engagement. Whenever it felt like that show was gone for good, it would come back again.It's hard to care about most of those shows on that list, although I did enjoy Leverage on the rare occasion I watched it.
Old May 13 2013, 06:31 PM   #35
Third Nacelle
Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
If you liked The Office and 30 Rock, have you given Parks and Recreation a try?
I forgot all about P&R. Ok, I now have one half-hour a week of network television watching. Still doesn't say much about the state of television in America.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:44 AM   #36
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

I think Person of Interest is pretty good. And although it started pretty slowly, The Americans picked up nicely as it went on.

I haven't been watching Person of Interest with any consistency, but I have really enjoyed The Americans. It is the one new show that has survived for me. Everything else I watch has been on for a while. I didn't mind the slow start - it only made it feel more 80's to me. Plus, I think they needed to spend some time getting us invested in the characters. After all, we are rooting for KGB spies against our own government here.

I think it's a good show and I plan to watch it next season.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:21 PM   #37
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
I think Person of Interest is pretty good. And although it started pretty slowly, The Americans picked up nicely as it went on.

I haven't been watching Person of Interest with any consistency, but I have really enjoyed The Americans. It is the one new show that has survived for me. Everything else I watch has been on for a while. I didn't mind the slow start - it only made it feel more 80's to me. Plus, I think they needed to spend some time getting us invested in the characters. After all, we are rooting for KGB spies against our own government here.

I think it's a good show and I plan to watch it next season.
Me too.

I'm hoping they move a little further toward the political angles, and a little away from the interpersonal drama.

Person of Interest has become so serialized, I doubt anyone could pick it up now without watching the entire series. Lots of arcs going on.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:31 PM   #38
Agent Richard07
Admiral

When Person of Interest started, I thought about dropping it because of the case of the week format, but decided to stick with it just in case it became arc heavy. I gave up on Fringe early on and didn't want to make the same mistake.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:34 PM   #39
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The broadcast networks ordered 16 new half-hour comedies this season. Only two of them - ABC's The Neighbors and Fox's The Mindy Project - were renewed for a second season.
Old May 14 2013, 06:16 PM   #40
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The broadcast networks ordered 16 new half-hour comedies this season. Only two of them - ABC's The Neighbors and Fox's The Mindy Project - were renewed for a second season.
The Mindy Project shouldn't have, it's a show without a point. The one that really surprises me is Go On being canceled.
Old May 14 2013, 07:49 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
When Person of Interest started, I thought about dropping it because of the case of the week format, but decided to stick with it just in case it became arc heavy.
Whereas lately I'm coming to miss case-of-the-week storytelling. I think arc-based stories have perhaps been taken to too much of an extreme. It's good to have characters growing and events having consequences, but it can be overdone.

One trend in particular I've noticed this past season is that because of the need to keep the overall storyline moving and changes happening, nobody seems to be able to keep a secret for very long. On Smallville, new characters discovering Clark's secret superpowers was something that happened maybe once every few seasons, but so far in the first season of Arrow, a new person has discovered Oliver Queen's secret identity roughly once every four episodes. And while in the original '80s Beauty and the Beast, Catherine was able to keep Vincent's existence secret for two seasons, in the new series they've both been absolutely incompetent at keeping their life-and-death secret from anyone in their lives, so that now, near the end of the first season, there's only one main cast member left who doesn't know about him. It's really kind of ridiculous. Sure, the approach in old, strictly episodic shows where such secrets were kept forever could be just as ridiculous, but both extremes are problematical. As with most things, I feel there's a happy medium somewhere between the extremes.

I'm also getting so sick of the formula where every case of the week the characters encounter just happens to resonate with whatever's going on with the main characters' story arc at that particular moment. It got so bad on Fringe that the main character even commented on the coincidence once, wondering if there were some cosmic significance to it.

I don't want arc-driven series to go away, but I think it would be nice to have some variety, to have the occasional series that was mainly about the crisis of the week. Not something like in the '60s and '70s where nothing that happened in one episode was ever mentioned again, but something more like shows in the '80s, say, Star Trek: TNG, where the focus was on the individual adventures but there was continuity, where an episode could have consequences down the road and characters' relationships evolved over time. I think the most recent show I watched that came close to that was Flashpoint, though it had its share of serialized character threads.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:15 PM   #42
jayceee
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Whereas lately I'm coming to miss case-of-the-week storytelling.
This is what I watch shows like CSI and Law & Order SVU for. Not every week, but whenever I'm not doing much on a particular evening and don't feel like dvr'ing the episodes. (I usually watch it live).

Basically like a fast food or tv dinners meal.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 10:23 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

^I used to watch CSI and CSI:NY, but I've found both of them deteriorating in quality and gave up on them, the Vegas show last year and the NY show early this season.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:00 AM   #44
jayceee
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I used to watch CSI and CSI:NY, but I've found both of them deteriorating in quality and gave up on them, the Vegas show last year and the NY show early this season.
I got bored of following any of the CSI shows pretty quickly.

I only really started watching the shows in reruns when they were on several times every day on Spike and AETV. Almost every day after supper, I was literally "binge watching" 4 or 5 different CSI and/or CSI:Miami episodes every day. At the time Spike was playing through so many CSI episodes every day, that it could churn through a single season in five or six days.

Newer CSI franchise episodes were not as exciting anymore, after that huge binge.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:12 AM   #45
Aldo
Admiral

I don't usually pick up new shows for the very reason that they may be cancelled, but to me Golden Boy looked interesting. And aside from a few issues, I've found the show to be fresh and exciting. It does the case of the week format while also managing to have an ongoing storyline with the main characters, neither gets in the way of the other. If you're the type of person who watches as show for it's story, you get catered to, and if you're someone who comes across the show randomly one night, well you won't feel left out either.

It's a shame it's getting cancelled while CSI stays around.