RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,932
Posts: 5,389,921
Members: 24,721
Currently online: 467
Newest member: NightDancer111

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 13 2013, 06:28 PM   #196
Beagleman
Captain
 
Beagleman's Avatar
 
Location: European Union
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

It's not the size it's what you do with it... oh whatever...
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:27 AM   #197
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

^ Bull.

Anyway, I've always wondered, with a crew of 1100 or so, where do they all sleep? And relax? Can they fit so many quarters in the ship plus the massive engineering and shuttlebay, plus the science labs and torpedo bays, etc?
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:46 AM   #198
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Anyway, I've always wondered, with a crew of 1100 or so, where do they all sleep? And relax? Can they fit so many quarters in the ship plus the massive engineering and shuttlebay, plus the science labs and torpedo bays, etc?
Oh, sure. Even if you confined them all to only the saucer section you'd have more than enough room for the crew quarters. The thing is massive.

The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in the picture below, had a crew of:

5,828 (maximum)
Ship's company: 3,000 (2,700 Sailors, 150 Chiefs, 150 Officers)
Air wing: 1,800 (250 pilots, and 1,550 support personnel)


Aircraft carried: Hold up to 90 / 60+ (normally)

That's with the hangar deck, nuclear reactors, workshops, aviation fuel storage, engine room, armories, mess hall, etc. taking up a ton of space.

It's about as tall and long as the rim of the ST09 Enterprise saucer alone, and only a fraction of the width. She's a big girl.



The Enterprise-D there typically carried a crew of about 1,014 in luxurious hotel suite sized quarters, and it had plenty of room to spare. It's actually a small crew given its immense volume. It probably was pretty lonely in a lot of corridors aboard ship.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:56 PM   #199
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xavier_Storma's Avatar
 
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Taking INTO DARKNESS into consideration the size of 350 meters is about right.

Several hints at that: Kirk and McCoy dive to the Enterprise.
Vengance attacks Enterprise we see several hull breaches, and they consist of one at max two decks at the endge of the saucer.
When the Vengance crashes, it's saucer is not higher than 150 meters, considering it is much bigger than the Enterprise, it will probably be somewhere in 600 meter range.

350 meters fits the ship perfectly, therefor one has to readjust that chart.
__________________
Star Trek - A Final Unity
http://www.st-afu.com
Xavier_Storma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:03 PM   #200
Richard Baker
Commander
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Location: Warrior, AL
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I was corresponding with Ed Whitefire, one of the original designers of the Galaxy Class, he mentioned that that with the size of the ship and crew you could wander for days and never see another person- it was the equivalent of one person per almost two football fields of space.
My only problem with the new Enterprise's size is that it just does not look 'large' enough for the stated scale. When you look at the Enterprise-D it appears to be the right size- the blended forms, expanses of windows, you can see it being a massive vessel. Same thing for the larger Klingon BoPs- it was created to look like a scout ship and enlarging it to the size of a D-7 just does not work with me...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:14 PM   #201
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Anyway, I've always wondered, with a crew of 1100 or so, where do they all sleep? And relax? Can they fit so many quarters in the ship plus the massive engineering and shuttlebay, plus the science labs and torpedo bays, etc?
Oh, sure. Even if you confined them all to only the saucer section you'd have more than enough room for the crew quarters. The thing is massive.

The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in the picture below, had a crew of:

5,828 (maximum)
Ship's company: 3,000 (2,700 Sailors, 150 Chiefs, 150 Officers)
Air wing: 1,800 (250 pilots, and 1,550 support personnel)


Aircraft carried: Hold up to 90 / 60+ (normally)

That's with the hangar deck, nuclear reactors, workshops, aviation fuel storage, engine room, armories, mess hall, etc. taking up a ton of space.

It's about as tall and long as the rim of the ST09 Enterprise saucer alone, and only a fraction of the width. She's a big girl.



The Enterprise-D there typically carried a crew of about 1,014 in luxurious hotel suite sized quarters, and it had plenty of room to spare. It's actually a small crew given its immense volume. It probably was pretty lonely in a lot of corridors aboard ship.
It just dawned on my why the nuEnterprise seems like it should be smaller - Windows

We have grown accustomed to the visual reference that if there are a lot of small windows, that gives the sense of immense size.

The Enterprise-E is instantaneously seen as huge due to the fact of the hundreds of windows. Whereas the nuEnterprise, has just a couple/three dozen in comparison to the Galaxy Class ship.

I think that if the producers had just added a few extra windows to show that the saucer rim is now 3-4 decks, most likely would have avoided most of this argument.
__________________
NXX-1701

Last edited by EJD1984; May 14 2013 at 03:31 PM.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:27 PM   #202
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

^^^ This likely lends credence to the fact that it was originally supposed to be around the size of the TOS-E and refit, but was retconned into being larger because of the shuttlebay and engineering area sets. Sadly, the CG artists clearly didn't get the memo and the windows that were originally modeled into the mesh still imply a smaller design at around 300 meters.

I'm still kind of baffled how big the Kelvin was, as it was supposed to have been built in the pre-timestream-split prime universe and there has never been any evidence in any iteration of canonical Trek that Starfleet built ships that big during that era. THIS almost implies that there may have been a split prior to Nero's arrival.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:59 PM   #203
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Taking INTO DARKNESS into consideration the size of 350 meters is about right.

Several hints at that: Kirk and McCoy dive to the Enterprise.
A bigger issue that relates to a smaller ship size concerns this "dive". First, the E has to be sufficiently under the surface to remain hidden. Let's say it's only 30m down. A 350m ship is about 100m tall. A 750m ship is over 200m tall. As I recall from the 10min preview (haven't seen the movie yet), Kirk and Bones swim down to the secondary hull hatch to enter. That means they dive either about 100m, or they dive 200m.

Both are ridiculous when you consider pressure effects (but hey, maybe they have a widget for that), but one is much less ridiculous than the other....
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:56 PM   #204
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Taking INTO DARKNESS into consideration the size of 350 meters is about right.

Several hints at that: Kirk and McCoy dive to the Enterprise.
Vengance attacks Enterprise we see several hull breaches, and they consist of one at max two decks at the endge of the saucer.
When the Vengance crashes, it's saucer is not higher than 150 meters, considering it is much bigger than the Enterprise, it will probably be somewhere in 600 meter range.

350 meters fits the ship perfectly, therefor one has to readjust that chart.
LOL, I came away from the film (which I've just rewatched) with the exact opposite opinion! That the Enterprise was unquestionably far bigger than her prime-universe counterpart.

When the Vengeance crashes, the engineering hull dwarfs the entirety of Alcatraz Island, and when it hits the mainland the saucer breaks from the hull and tips, showing it to be far taller than the largest of the super skyscrapers.

Evidence of a bigger Enterprise is the saucer-top dome and core of corridors below, which extends downward onto infinity. Plus, to fit the bridge in front of it on the third deck would unquestionably be impossible on a 350m Enterprise. We also saw two shuttlebays, the main one at the rear, which was the same size it was in the prior movie (which could never fit two rows of 12m shuttles if it were only 17m across), and starboard-side shuttlebay 2, which launched the trader ship toward Kronos. All that, plus the brewery engineering section has to fit into just the rear half of the secondary hull.
FWIW, we also learned that the area where Kirk found Uhura in the last movie is directly behind the deflector dish.

I did notice some cool Franz Joseph-style deckplans on Sulu's console when they're scanned by the Vengeance (they passed too quickly to make out any scale-establishing detail, and I can't wait to freezeframe the DVD!), as well as a floorplan of the brig complex on the screen behind as Kirk and Spock speak to Harrison.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:32 PM   #205
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I'm looking at an HD screencap of the damaged saucer portion from the movie and there are up to 4-5 distinct layers showing through.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:39 PM   #206
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'm looking at an HD screencap of the damaged saucer portion from the movie and there are up to 4-5 distinct layers showing through.
Link?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:42 PM   #207
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'm looking at an HD screencap of the damaged saucer portion from the movie and there are up to 4-5 distinct layers showing through.
Link?
You cannot be that lazy.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:56 PM   #208
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xavier_Storma's Avatar
 
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'm looking at an HD screencap of the damaged saucer portion from the movie and there are up to 4-5 distinct layers showing through.
Link?
You cannot be that lazy.
Yup... don't forget the Jeffries tubes in between the decks!

And if you just take a closer look at the saucer... the window pattern is exactly the same as on the refit Enterprise from the original movies.
Plus in the scene with the hull breach, you can see people being sucked out into space.
Another prove is the shot that zooms in on Kirk standing in front of the main window/viewer when the Enterprise is crippled in the Kronos system. No way the ship is longer than 400 meters.
__________________
Star Trek - A Final Unity
http://www.st-afu.com
Xavier_Storma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:57 PM   #209
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post

Link?
You cannot be that lazy.
Yup... don't forget the Jeffries tubes in between the decks!

And if you just take a closer look at the saucer... the window pattern is exactly the same as on the refit Enterprise from the original movies.
Plus in the scene with the hull breach, you can see people being sucked out into space.
Another prove is the shot that zooms in on Kirk standing in front of the main window/viewer when the Enterprise is crippled in the Kronos system. No way the ship is longer than 400 meters.
If you want it to be four-hundred meters, then continue to think it's four-hundred meters.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:03 PM   #210
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Another prove is the shot that zooms in on Kirk standing in front of the main window/viewer when the Enterprise is crippled in the Kronos system. No way the ship is longer than 400 meters.
Erm... what? Look again: CLICK

Window = huge Enterprise.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
argument, size, starship

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.