Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2013, 04:48 PM   #1816
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Did anyone else spot the exploded moon on the approach to Qo'nos or did I imagine it ?

Is it rather too early to be Praxis ?
Old May 14 2013, 04:51 PM   #1817
Tom Servo
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post

Now... Paramount, throw out the biggest issues (Orci and Kurtzman) and get authors of the calliber of the Nolan brothers to write the next film, and we will finally get a proper blockbuster TREK film, with an intelligent, emotional story.
Ugh. Nolan movies out me to sleep, never got the love.
While I do like Nolan's films, when I hear a line like that..."the caliber of the Nolan brothers"...have people actually watched The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight? Seriously? Those movies just just as many plot holes and strange moments as the Trek '09 and probably Into Darkness. And guess what...I don't care. I still love and enjoy them anyway. But it's such a double standard that Nolan and his guys are held up to such a high level, when they are guilty of the same things.

And I'm glad you guys found a negative review. I'm sure they're out there. Bravo.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:59 PM   #1818
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Folks who imagine that Paramount or Bad Robot are going to "throw out" the writers who are instrumental so far in making nuTrek a success are living in a world of delusion.

Anyway, Mark Altman likes STID.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/14/mark...into-darkness/
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:03 PM   #1819
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Did anyone else spot the exploded moon on the approach to Qo'nos or did I imagine it ?

That was discussed in this thread already (I know it's getting very difficult to keep on top of it all). There is indeed half an exploded moon in orbit around Kronos - which I thought looked awesome. There is no indication that this is supposed to be Praxis, though - and wasn't Praxis further away from Kronos? It's been a while since I last saw Star Trek VI.
Old May 14 2013, 05:34 PM   #1820
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

As much as I enjoy TUC, it doesn't do a good job of establishing where Praxis is relative to Kronos. We know that it's close enough that it has serious environmental implications. However, that would imply that the borders of the Klingon Empire are such that Kronos and Praxis really straddle the edge, because that's really the only way the Excelsior could be close enough to get hit with the shockwave without crossing into Klingon space.

I guess that's for another topic, though.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:43 PM   #1821
Relayer1
Commodore

Count Zero wrote: View Post

That was discussed in this thread already (I know it's getting very difficult to keep on top of it all). There is indeed half an exploded moon in orbit around Kronos - which I thought looked awesome. There is no indication that this is supposed to be Praxis, though - and wasn't Praxis further away from Kronos? It's been a while since I last saw Star Trek VI.
Ah, sorry. I've been dipping in and out of this thread for days - I've obviously missed a chunk...
Old May 14 2013, 06:04 PM   #1822
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I saw it again... and I loved it just as much! A wonderful movie. Probably the best Trek of them all.

My one issue last time was that Spock blamed Khan for Kirk's sacrifice, it made no sense to me. Why would Spock yell "Khaaaan!" and go berserker when it was Admiral Marcus' attack that crippled the Enterprise, damaging the warp core and sending them spiralling down to Earth? On my first viewing I'd somehow missed that Khan attacked the defenceless Enterprise after beaming up the missiles and beaming Kirk, Scotty and Carol to the brig. THAT is what damaged the core and what sent Enterprise falling. Now Spock's "Khaaaaan!" and murderous revenge rage made sense.

I suspect in years to come, this will be known as "the one with all the crying" - Kirk cries, like, four times. Pike cries as he's dying, Khan cries in the brig, Uhura cries, Scotty's eyes tear up and even Spock cries. It was very emotional. Even on my second viewing I got a major lump in my throat on several occasions.

There is so much nerdy stuff I can't wait to pour over in October/November when the DVD comes out. I saw Franz Joseph-style Enterprise floorplans on consoles, noticed some new aliens (including another Orion crewperson) and a ton more.

I loved this movie!!
Old May 14 2013, 06:13 PM   #1823
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xaios wrote: View Post
As much as I enjoy TUC, it doesn't do a good job of establishing where Praxis is relative to Kronos. We know that it's close enough that it has serious environmental implications. However, that would imply that the borders of the Klingon Empire are such that Kronos and Praxis really straddle the edge, because that's really the only way the Excelsior could be close enough to get hit with the shockwave without crossing into Klingon space.

It was a sub-space shockwave, so really it could be anywhere.

My thoughts are that it is probably suppose to be Praxis we are seeing. Nero's incursion, on 75,000 km from the Klingon border, caused them to begin an unprecedented military build-up and caused the Praxis disaster earlier in this timeline.
Old May 14 2013, 06:16 PM   #1824
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The old fogey trekkies should be forced to read that review.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Folks who imagine that Paramount or Bad Robot are going to "throw out" the writers who are instrumental so far in making nuTrek a success are living in a world of delusion.

Anyway, Mark Altman likes STID.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/14/mark-altmans-review-of-star-trek-into-darkness/d
Old May 14 2013, 06:18 PM   #1825
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

People have talked about it, its possible that it could be Praxis but it hasn't exploded yet. That's just the result of mining operations which have gotten out of control, don't forget the Klingons could be even more affected by Nero considering the Narada supposedly destroyed an entire Klingon fleet effortlessly.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:32 PM   #1826
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

I guess, not that it really helps though. It just makes it even more implausible that the Excelsior would be in the exact path of a shockwave that couldn't have been more than a few miles high which originated from lightyears away. All the better is the fact that it snuck right up on them. It'd be like driving a car into a tree... in Antarctica.
Old May 14 2013, 06:51 PM   #1827
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

My thoughts are that it is probably suppose to be Praxis we are seeing. Nero's incursion, on 75,000 km from the Klingon border, caused them to begin an unprecedented military build-up and caused the Praxis disaster earlier in this timeline.
Oh please... Nero's incursion as an excuse for everything? So Khan's appearance and heritage changed because of Nero's incursion?

Don't get me wrong, as much as ID is enjoyable as a popcorn flick (it surely is), please do not start with excuses for bad storytelling...
Old May 14 2013, 06:53 PM   #1828
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

I guess, not that it really helps though. It just makes it even more implausible that the Excelsior would be in the exact path of a shockwave that couldn't have been more than a few miles high which originated from lightyears away. All the better is the fact that it snuck right up on them. It'd be like driving a car into a tree... in Antarctica.
Who cares? That sequence looked awesome. Superb effects (models DO look better) and great editing. Don't start to think it through...
Old May 14 2013, 06:53 PM   #1829
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I had a science teacher who said you could point in any direction outside our solar system and your odds of ever hitting anything were something like one in 10 to the 33rd power (10^33).

It's incredible all of the things our crews have "randomly" ran into over the years. Best to just not think about it.
Old May 14 2013, 07:07 PM   #1830
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Who cares? That sequence looked awesome. Superb effects (models DO look better) and great editing. Don't start to think it through...
Oh don't get me wrong, I still enjoy that sequence a lot, along with the rest of the film. It really does underscore the fact that JJ-Trek isn't any more implausible than Old-Trek.