Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 12 2013, 03:46 PM   #436
intrinsical
Commodore

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

The show is still very much in the world building phase, explaining unique features of this new world. Or in the case of Defiance, explaining creatures and technology that gamers have already been seeing (and fighting) in the game. At the rate the show is going, its probably going to take at the first half of season 1 to build the world. They still have to explain what are mutants, 99ers, Dark Matter, Scrappers, E-Rep, EMC, Indogene, who is Death's Merchant and the secret behind the Battle of Defiance.
Old May 12 2013, 04:00 PM   #437
Christopher
Writer

^I'm not sure that all the ideas created for the game will necessarily be included in the show. I mean, sure, they're part of the common background, but it's not like there's some checklist, some requireement that everything gets used equally in both the show and the game. The idea is for the two to be able to stand on their own and go in distinct directions while taking place in a common universe. Think of the various Star Trek series -- the Kazon from Voyager were never mentioned on Deep Space Nine, and the Ferengi were only referenced a couple of times in Voyager. Some things overlapped, but a lot didn't.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:15 AM   #438
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If the game is way more important than the TV show, and the tv show has to accept that it only exists as advertising for the game, then it's the same rules as with product placement, and if there isn't a checklist, then there's certainly a timetable which is far more important than natural story development because if Game developments are not advertised on TV when dictated, someone is going to get fired.

Consider something like the Transformers/GI Joe cartoons from the 80s... The cartoon people were shown the new toys every week, then ordered to put those new toys/characters into the cartoon so that Kids would medically need to buy those fantastic toys. I suppose they could invent their own characters/vehicles for the toon but that's a waste of adspace as kids run out to the toy stores to buy toys which do not exist.

Another thing. Defiance season one is only 12 episodes long. Half way is in a fortnight.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:36 AM   #439
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Defiance has been renewed for a second season.
Good. I'd rather watch lame science fiction than excellent other stuff and I think having more science fiction on the air generates more science fiction potentially on the air which makes me happy.

Imagine a world where everyone but us got tired of science fiction.. and you had as much modern science fiction on tv as we currently have Bonanza style westerns. I used to feel like this was a real possibility, that the hold on mainstream audiences was a lot more delicate than it is now. I'm hoping we get some Defiance type shows on HBO someday, GoT quality.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:48 AM   #440
intrinsical
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm not sure that all the ideas created for the game will necessarily be included in the show. I mean, sure, they're part of the common background, but it's not like there's some checklist, some requireement that everything gets used equally in both the show and the game. The idea is for the two to be able to stand on their own and go in distinct directions while taking place in a common universe. Think of the various Star Trek series -- the Kazon from Voyager were never mentioned on Deep Space Nine, and the Ferengi were only referenced a couple of times in Voyager. Some things overlapped, but a lot didn't.
That may well be true, but the town is named Defiance so I am assuming the backstory behind the Battle of Defiance will be part of the show. Which means in the least E-Rep, EMC, Dark Matter will still need to be introduced.

By the way, the Irathian girl prisoner is now in San Franciso with more hellbug shenanigans.
Old May 14 2013, 12:55 PM   #441
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The Serpent's Egg: What a jumble..

Low Point: The prophecy messiah mumbo special chosen gift person storyline.. VOMIT. Just vomit. Please let's not have that stuff, just flush it now.

High Point: The Cure. I LOVE THE CURE. Let's have The Cure as the soundtrack of this whole series! Then I could be all sentimental and happy about it and the lameness might seem charming rather than irritating!

Also the polygamy was awesome right up until it turned into the evil polygamist. Like MU lesbians a real eye roller. Still I would like two subservient husbands in my next life.. maybe if I had worked harder in this life I would have enough money to keep two subservient husbands but I've been too lazy. Oh well.

Also that guy Irisa is hooking up with has NO personality. He's like a faithful dog, that's about it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 14 2013, 01:26 PM   #442
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And that shot gun he carries around has to be compensating for something.

(She must be older than she looks, or he's younger?)

Most rich men like to be subservient.

It's a dichotomy.

In the same breath that they'll put cigars out on their wife for having a point of view, they'll also pay a mistress a fortune to spit down their throats and kick'em in the ribs hard.

Old May 14 2013, 01:49 PM   #443
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I want poor subservient husbands who are dependent on me for their trinkets and pleasures in life. There will be no nasty stuff, I will treat them very well. I want them kept not whipped.

The deputy looks like he's in high school. HE IS SO BORING.

Also I hate the mayor.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 14 2013, 02:00 PM   #444
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

His "girlfriend" looks like she's in middleschool.

You can download popular media of the Mayor being killed.

In Angel it was subpar and wussy, but what happened to her in Dexter was fricking gruesome.

Old May 14 2013, 02:02 PM   #445
Christopher
Writer

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Which means in the least E-Rep, EMC, Dark Matter will still need to be introduced.
The Earth Republic was referenced as far back as the pilot (ex-Mayor Riordon was leaving to meet with an "E-Rep") and was heavily featured in last night's episode, with the E-Rep ambassador being a major guest star and continuing the established arc of both E-Rep and the Votanis Collective competing for influence in Defiance.

Old May 14 2013, 02:02 PM   #446
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Ewww.. I don't want her gruesomely killed. Drowned maybe. Something peaceful.

More Kenya, less Amanda!

Oh and Irisa does look weirdly young, didn't really notice until contrasted with the other woman of her race with the dreads. Still you can make up any excuses when you're talking about alien development.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 14 2013, 02:04 PM   #447
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
intrinsical wrote: View Post
Which means in the least E-Rep, EMC, Dark Matter will still need to be introduced.
The Earth Republic was referenced as far back as the pilot (ex-Mayor Riordon was leaving to meet with an "E-Rep") and was heavily featured in last night's episode, with the E-Rep ambassador being a major guest star and continuing the established arc of both E-Rep and the Votanis Collective competing for influence in Defiance.
It seems we have a lot of agendas working against Our Heroes and they are all presented as evil. I hope we get some grey areas or some debatable positions.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 14 2013, 02:17 PM   #448
The Wormhole
Admiral

This recent episode was pretty damn cool. We're getting a glimpse into life outside the town and how the world is organized. I take it New York is the capital of this Earth Republic which I take it is some sort of attempt at a world government. There are some echoes of western tropes, like the bus which serves as the wagon which transports everyone around and convicts being sent out of town to apparentally the only prison around in Vegas. The stuff in the desert with the shoot-out and the stand-off were some well-done action scenes. Pretty cool shit.

The storyline with Irisa and the Castithan who tortured her was kind of predictable, though at points I wondered if maybe the guy really was innocent. It was one of those things that could go either way, since a character learning they're wrong about someone they're sure is guilty is another very common trope. It probably is better they made him guilty, as it makes Irisa look more competant and trustworthy. And I suppose the storyline is less about did he/didn't he torture her as it is a means of establishing key backstory.

Irisa and Tommy getting together at the end I don't quite know what to make of. Yes, it was pretty damn obvious from the pilot that the two of them were going to develop an unlikely friendship, but I'd have preferred it stayed a friendship to avoid the trope that every man and woman who are on friendly terms with each other must also get romantically involved. But, on the other hand, now that they are romantically involved and having sex at least that saves us weeks of needless "will they/won't they?" tension.

Excellent episode this week. This show is really turning out to be something great.
Old May 14 2013, 02:52 PM   #449
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Irisa and Tommy getting together at the end I don't quite know what to make of. Yes, it was pretty damn obvious from the pilot that the two of them were going to develop an unlikely friendship, but I'd have preferred it stayed a friendship to avoid the trope that every man and woman who are on friendly terms with each other must also get romantically involved. But, on the other hand, now that they are romantically involved and having sex at least that saves us weeks of needless "will they/won't they?" tension.

Excellent episode this week. This show is really turning out to be something great.
I think I am seeing the effect of her being an alien, the way she runs hot and cold. As they were actually doing the deed the close up on her face showed disinterest to me. What I would expect from a Want?Need worker with a client and not Kenya's enthusiasm with dad. Perhaps they will pull back like with Sgts Hunter and Dee Dee McCall or Sonny Crocket and Gina of Miami Vice back in the day. They are partners at work and things will happen now back to the friendship.
Old May 14 2013, 03:34 PM   #450
Christopher
Writer

^Considering how ferocious Irisa was at the start of the love scene, I don't think her expression was meant to show lack of interest. The makeup appliance might make it harder to read her expressions from some angles.