CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 13 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Finally BBC gives us a Tardis Schematic!

How do you design schematics for a ship that apparently can change its own architecture on the fly? What would be the point, then, of laying out a "map" of the interior of the TARDIS?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:59 PM   #17
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Pavonis wrote: View Post
How do you design schematics for a ship that apparently can change its own architecture on the fly? What would be the point, then, of laying out a "map" of the interior of the TARDIS?
There isn't a point. While I appreciate the effort and skill that goes into a project like that, I've always thought it was pretty pointless. Doctor Who isn't the kind of show that lends itself to ship schematics the way Star Trek or Star Wars does.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:33 AM   #18
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

As a creative endeavor alone, there's merit to the effort. The opportunity to flex one's artistic muscles and rise to the challenge of intricately detailing something that's never been seen -- based on the most minute of dialogue clues and set decorations.

But beyond that, there's nothing cast in stone that says the vessel can't be treated just like a Federation starship. Clearly it has at least some physical form. If it were so pointless, why even bother referring to the ship as an outmoded, "Type 40" time capsule? After all, if the whole thing could be reconfigured at whim, certainly someone could come along and upgrade the systems to a type 60 or 80 or 1701 TARDIS with the simplicity of a software patch.

So, since no one's done it before, it might as well be Starsuperion's hand that intricately crafts the look of the ship's inside, even if it is an unofficial effort. And given the number of times he's drawn, re-drawn, and re-re-drawn the ship, it's clear he's still experimenting with how to fit the parameters of the TARDIS on screen with his own preconceptions. He's done a great job so far, and I look forward to the next iteration and the one after that.
Old May 14 2013, 01:47 AM   #19
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

To each his own. As I said, I appreciate the artistry and work it takes to do such a thing, but I still don't see the point.

It has been well established that the TARDIS interior can be reconfigured on the fly, so any "map" of the interior is pretty useless.

Doctor Who has never been even remotely hard SciFi. As Gaiman recently said, its more of a fairy tale. The TARDIS is a magic box. And that's good enough for me.

But that's just my opinion. Don't let it stop you from creating or enjoying someone else's creative endeavors.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:40 AM   #20
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Psion wrote: View Post
So, since no one's done it before, it might as well be Starsuperion's hand that intricately crafts the look of the ship's inside, even if it is an unofficial effort. And given the number of times he's drawn, re-drawn, and re-re-drawn the ship, it's clear he's still experimenting with how to fit the parameters of the TARDIS on screen with his own preconceptions. He's done a great job so far, and I look forward to the next iteration and the one after that.
Starsuperion has done a great job, but as far as I'm concerned it has everything to do with his talent and his imagination, and almost nothing to do with Doctor Who.
Old May 14 2013, 05:04 AM   #21
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Since when does a screen grab qualify as an artistic submission?
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:10 AM   #22
Pavonis
Commodore

I'm still wondering what got starsuperion so excited about the graphic. He sees something in the background the rest of us don't.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
Since when does a screen grab qualify as an artistic submission?
He's talking up the Screen Grab, and one poster in this thread said it's nothing compared to what a poster did a few months back. In actuality it was this thread's original poster who made the schematic that was being put forth as superior to the screen grab

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote