RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 521
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 12 2013, 11:27 PM   #31
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

After seeing this I WANT TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT AND CHALLENGING TOS VIDEO GAME - ASAP (will somebody please notify Hideo Kojima).

Excellent and passionate work.

Looking at the viewscreen and the ship's chronometer I see the influence of TOS-R (but hopefully not when you get to the shuttlebay?!).

I have to admit that I haven't paid attention to all of Kirk's button pushing on his Bridge chair. Was the third one always for "Jettison Pod" or was it only mission-specific in "Court-Martial"?
I seem to remember a couple of episodes he pushed this one for intercom purposes (but I could be wrong).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:02 AM   #32
Donny
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
After seeing this I WANT TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT AND CHALLENGING TOS VIDEO GAME - ASAP (will somebody please notify Hideo Kojima).

Excellent and passionate work.

Looking at the viewscreen and the ship's chronometer I see the influence of TOS-R (but hopefully not when you get to the shuttlebay?!).

I have to admit that I haven't paid attention to all of Kirk's button pushing on his Bridge chair. Was the third one always for "Jettison Pod" or was it only mission-specific in "Court-Martial"?
I seem to remember a couple of episodes he pushed this one for intercom purposes (but I could be wrong).

Bob
Well, the ultimate goal is to provide a setting for said "intelligent and challenging TOS video game", but who knows if I can accomplish that on my own. I want to recruit a team of people that can help with that goal, so if anyone has any relevant skills (character modeling, animation, and scripting) and is willing to help out, please PM me.

My use of TOS-R is going to minimal. The view screen image above is just a placeholder, but I do like the TOS-R chronometer. The Shuttlebay? I will definitely be going with the original version. No way I would put something as ugly as the TOS-R shuttlebay into the project

As for the command chair buttons, as far as I know the only time we see the labels up close was in Court Martial, so that's what I'm going with. I'm sure Shatner pushed buttons arbitrarily in other episodes, but I won't go so far as to try to reconcile this discrepancy.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:44 AM   #33
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

As for a "intelligent and challenging TOS video game", I know it's old, but track down 25th Anniversary. Or if you're looking for a FPS, check out the TOS mod for Elite Force at SpaceStationK7. They only got a teaser finished, but it's damned cool.
Old May 13 2013, 12:46 AM   #34
Donny
Commander

wildstar wrote: View Post
As for a "intelligent and challenging TOS video game", I know it's old, but track down 25th Anniversary. Or if you're looking for a FPS, check out the TOS mod for Elite Force at SpaceStationK7. They only got a teaser finished, but it's damned cool.
My favorites!

Old May 13 2013, 01:33 AM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Amazing work!
Old May 13 2013, 11:19 AM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Donny wrote: View Post
My use of TOS-R is going to minimal. The view screen image above is just a placeholder, but I do like the TOS-R chronometer. The Shuttlebay? I will definitely be going with the original version. No way I would put something as ugly as the TOS-R shuttlebay into the project
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that.

Donny wrote: View Post
As for the command chair buttons, as far as I know the only time we see the labels up close was in Court Martial, so that's what I'm going with. I'm sure Shatner pushed buttons arbitrarily in other episodes, but I won't go so far as to try to reconcile this discrepancy.
Yes, that was the only time we saw the labels up close. I'm just wondering if the button was permanently assigned to the "Jettison Pod" function. If you look close, you can see that the "Jettison" function seems fixed, but "Pod" seems somehow attached or to be part of a function select wheel ("< Pod >") of some kind. With a digital ship's chronometer that button may have a diffent function for each mission.

If memory serves the last button was usually used for shipwide intercom address (captain to crew). I'm not sure what the button right ahead of it was usually used for (log recordings?). Alternately, by pushing it, you might change the function of the middle button ("Jettison Pod" > "Jettison (Recorder) Marker" > "Jettison Probe" > "Jettison Nacelles" > "Jettison (Engineering) Core" and/or "Record Log" > "Coffee to the Bridge" etc.).

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; May 13 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old May 13 2013, 02:39 PM   #37
Redfern
Commodore

Funny thingf about that screen capture... If you'll notice, "Kirk" is pressing the button with his middle finger. It almost looks like the "ring" finger, but if you look closely, that digit, like the "pinky" is fully curled.

Now, I'm sure it was just coincidence, but if you want to apply "in story" metaphor, one can reason Finney wanted to drive home the idea Kirk gave Finney's career and life the "middle finger".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:49 PM   #38
blssdwlf
Commodore

In "Day of the Dove" there were no labels on the button panel (just reflections).
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...dovehd0562.jpg
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:53 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Redfern

That's really an interesting idea. On the other finger...cough...hand Kirk should have noticed this little detail during his court martial or he really uses his finger to "jettison" stuff (You are "jettisoned"!).

@ blssdwlf

Good catch! Wouldn't such reflections be perfectly compatible with the surface of an iPad and therefore suggest we are actually looking at a display rather than a "sticker"?

Bob
Old May 13 2013, 07:31 PM   #40
Gaith
Rear Admiral

First-rate work!
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:05 AM   #41
Donny
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Good catch! Wouldn't such reflections be perfectly compatible with the surface of an iPad and therefore suggest we are actually looking at a display rather than a "sticker"?
An interesting theory. I may end up using this idea.

Old May 14 2013, 10:20 AM   #42
lurok
Commodore

What's the ideal game type you're looking at? Mass Effect seems most likely, as it uses Unreal 3 engine.
Old May 14 2013, 10:39 PM   #43
Donny
Commander

I've completed the main structure for the stretch of corridor, as close as I could get to the TOS Season 2 Enterprise Set plans. I have a lot details left to go, like signage, greeblies, plant-ons, etc, but I thought I'd share these early test shots. Lighting is still a work in progress, as I'm experimenting with different methods of lighting. So far, colored spotlights seem to work best.

I also have to "invent" some light sources that will be placed on the ceiling between each cross-beam. Not sure what I'm going to go with yet. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Special thanks to Mytran for sharing his calculations for corridor panel dimensions. And also thanks again to Feek61 for his research, most notably his chart on the Season 3 conduit stripes so I could get all kinds of crazy accurate.

Detailing coming soon!

Old May 14 2013, 11:09 PM   #44
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I'm speechless.

Just looking down the transporter room corridor with the A-frame, what depth do you estimate the distance between the A-frame and the turbo lift door to be?

I presume the ladder in the "environmental engineering booth" will be coming soon, and with the hole in the floor to allow access to the deck below?

Simply fantastic! Do you already have the "inventory" for the door signage? I think we came across the subject in various Trek BBS discussions, but I haven't seen a compilation, yet.

For the briefing / rec room set I just instantly recall "Briefing Room 2", "Recreation Room 6" and "Computer Statistics" (right side exclusively).

Bob
Old May 14 2013, 11:51 PM   #45
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

And this shot "Wink of an Eye:"

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote