Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2013, 05:41 AM   #1801
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Phily B wrote: View Post
mattman8907 wrote: View Post
so i got the soundtrack. the end of Kirk Enterprises is just amazing.
Me too, the track listing has no spoilers and the music is even better than I remember. That's the music that plays at the final scene where they embark on their 5 year mission.

If you listen to San Fran shuffle (Spock/Khan fight and chase) at around 1:55-2:05 minutes there is what sounds like the Amok Time battle music haha
i'm hoping (if they decide to just make these movies just a trilogy) then they use that version of the TOS theme more often.

Last edited by mattman8907; May 14 2013 at 07:08 AM.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:35 AM   #1802
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
I was a little disappointed that Kirk didn't say 'Second Star to the right, and straight on til morning' or something like that at the end of the film, what with all the other references that were in there. Nevermind.
I added my own, "Out there. Thataway" on premiere night. I thought I'd only just beat him to it.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:54 AM   #1803
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Opus wrote: View Post
Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

LOL. Syfy is showing Generations now, then Insurrection, then Nemesis.

I am just sitting here, shaking my head at Syfy. Some programmer in there must, MUST have a seriously twisted sense of humor. If ever there were a bigger chasm between what was needed and what we got during those TNG-era-movie years... this was pretty much it.
Sorry, but I have to disagree here. The four TNG films WERE as much TNG as the series, and I could not think of better or other adventures for Picard's crew. Why the bashing... it is so 90ies. Move on already.
TNG movies were glorified TV episodes. They did nothing and looked no better than what people could watch on DS9 and VOY for free on TV. Most times, the TV shows were better.
Since the tv episodes and especially the Two-part episodes were always compared with actual motion pictures, they did something right then with the 4 films.
Old May 14 2013, 09:08 AM   #1804
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

What I liked:

- Set design (awesome stuff)
- Earth in the future, especially San Francicso, London and the British countryside with the hospital
- Costumes
- Soundtrack
- they cured the cameraman's Parkinson, and used less lens flares, I actually really enjoyed the cinematograpy and direction of the film
- first hour of story was dense and fun to watch, as someone who really dislikes 09 I was really positivley surprised by it, and thought "wow, it seems everyone deserves a second chance after all", I was about to forgive the plain stupidity to park a ship under water (tell me how they got there, WITHOUT the primitive species noticing, and why they didn't stay in orbit... I know... only reason, it was a cool looking effect... but that's a sorry excuse) and especially the stupidity of Starfleet command (to hold a emergency meeting in a room so easily accessible, as if the President of the USA would meet his staff in a sky skraper after a terrorist attack... uhm... yeah... ).
- Pike's lesson to Kirk! I was smiling... this young bada$$ so deserved this.
- Nods to DS9 and ENT
- Kronos (liked the design of the abandoned city) and the Klingons... the D4 however... looked just too generic, wish they would stay true to the original design linage

What I did not like:
- Basically what happened after they took Khan into custody and the film started ripping of TWOK, simply because it had no impact. When the original crew fought Khan for the first time, they have been a band for 20 years, hence Spock's death had impact. This Kirk and Spock know eachother for 12 month, so everything seemed to forced and I was not sold.
- Wha was Khan in there at all? The story would have worked much better without him, let Marcus be the bad guy, and make a prober cinematic rip off of "Paradise Lost" (the films was a mix of "Paradise Lost" (DS9) and TWOK in essence).
- Khan's explanation of his recent history... felt so forced so... "Let's have our Joker in this film". How would Khan be able to help them anyway? He was defeated in TWOK because he lacked 3-dimensional thinking (i.e. thinking like a space ship captain). How could he develop torpedoes within a year, which were 300 years ahead of his time? It felt unlikely and very forced.
- The action scenes were too boring, the ship to ship jump could have been cut shorter and more intense, and although it looked great, the Enterprise's decent was far too long, I remember looking at my watch when Kirk and Scott had trouble running through this ship
- The new warp core... aggghhhh.... V'ger is back. Honestly. It is the 23rd century. Why build something like that? Where you have NO access at all? How do you want to repair this thing?
- The brewery
- The ship to ship battle was far too short, but really intense, this could have been so cool done on such a budget, seems they don't like space battle and instead prefere jumps from high altitude (there are quite a few in this film... more than in some superhero movies)
- The Vengence... Ughhhh she is ugly, and turns uglyprise into something that is good to look at actually (honestly... uglyprise grew on me, a shame they changed the design after rechristening it in the end, that impulsebar looks bad), and again... for the 3rd time in a row we have a huge ship attacking Earth plot. NEMESIS had Scimirar, XI had the Narada, ID has the Vengence... can we come up with something... let's say slightly more original in the next one please? However I really like that motor sound she makes at warp...
- logical mistakes... Orci and Kurtzman... what is the problem to ask yourself... why does this happen?
- some of the humor was really cheap.
- that Alice Eve underwear scene... oh my was that cheap... btw... she was more annoying than Wesley Crusher... get her off board!
- The Vengence lacked something. The sets looked made for TV. Sometimes it felt like watching a TV episode.

All in all I enjoyed it much more, actually 1000 times more than that incredibly stupid, face-palm, shameful film that was released in 2009. I might even get it as a Blu Ray.

A vast improvement over the first one. Especially the changes in cinematography were great. It works as a popcorn film... maybe I am too demanding, but I want TREK to be more than that. Just yesterday I rewatched TUC, and that's in essence one of the best outings of the franchise. Yes, it has it's flaws and logical mistakes, but a good, emotional story, will make you forgive those (just like ID's first hour actually does!).

Now... Paramount, throw out the biggest issues (Orci and Kurtzman) and get authors of the calliber of the Nolan brothers to write the next film, and we will finally get a proper blockbuster TREK film, with an intelligent, emotional story.

Rating: C

Last edited by Xavier_Storma; May 14 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Xavier_Storma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:16 PM   #1805
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

What I did not like:
- Basically what happened after they took Khan into custody and the film started ripping of TWOK, simply because it had no impact. When the original crew fought Khan for the first time, they have been a band for 20 years, hence Spock's death had impact.
Second time they fought Khan you mean.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:39 PM   #1806
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Pindar wrote: View Post

What I did not like:
- Basically what happened after they took Khan into custody and the film started ripping of TWOK, simply because it had no impact. When the original crew fought Khan for the first time, they have been a band for 20 years, hence Spock's death had impact.
Second time they fought Khan you mean.
Yeah... sorry...
Old May 14 2013, 02:26 PM   #1807
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Poor "Mr. Beaks" at AICN - in a couple of days he'll have to endure the indignity of Fat Harry landing on the site with his half-apologetic brown-nosing rave review of the movie.
Harry comes through.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:13 PM   #1808
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I actually thought it had everything I could want from a Trek film, I'm surprised people are saying it wasn't a good, solid and emotional story with a central theme along with some political and social commentary thrown in which isn't full of plot holes.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:57 PM   #1809
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Different strokes and all that. I enjoyed it but was pretty meh on quite a few points. It's certainly not gaping with plot holes like ST11, but it does have some pretty big "Whaa?" moments.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:59 PM   #1810
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

One of the Talkbackers over at AICN put this up - love it.

Help Devin See STID!
Devin has seen it now and his review is one of the first ones I've read that I actually agree with:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/14/s...spoiler-review
Old May 14 2013, 04:03 PM   #1811
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

AvBaur wrote: View Post

Help Devin See STID!
Devin has seen it now and his review is one of the first ones I've read that I actually agree with:

Merde.
Old May 14 2013, 04:10 PM   #1812
ConRefit79
Captain

Devin has seen it now and his review is one of the first ones I've read that I actually agree with
Haven't seen the new film, but his description of how the first one holds together on the initial viewing, but falls apart when you think about it later, is exactly what happened to me.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:12 PM   #1813
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
...it does have some pretty big "Whaa?" moments.
Oh.

A Star Trek movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:17 PM   #1814
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Help Devin See STID!

Thanks for the read. Great review!
Old May 14 2013, 04:25 PM   #1815
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Now... Paramount, throw out the biggest issues (Orci and Kurtzman) and get authors of the calliber of the Nolan brothers to write the next film, and we will finally get a proper blockbuster TREK film, with an intelligent, emotional story.
Ugh. Nolan movies put me to sleep, never got the love.

Last edited by BillJ; May 14 2013 at 04:54 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote