Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 13 2013, 04:39 AM   #136
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

This is why I had hoped last season then they might skip 1968. Too easy to let the actual events of that year substitute for creative writing
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:47 PM   #137
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

So, I wonder what it was we were being told about Don in this episode? Was it that he had actually "fallen" for Sylvia? The whole Master/slave thing seemed to me to be just an extension of his lust for her (as opposed to showing his deep feelings for her) But when she told him it was over he reacted like it was an emotional blow, not like he was just losing a hot piece. Further, his tuning out Megan, was this meant to show his feelings for Sylvia or was this the beginning of him falling out of love with Megan?

LOL. Ted and Don in a d*** swinging contest. Ted's relationship with his dying partner is very heartfelt and deep. These two really seem to care for each other. How is Ted going to function in the dog eat dog relationships among the Cooper, Sterling partners?

They have got to show Peggy's reaction to Bobby Kennedy's death. They have made it a point of showing her making comments about him in a few episodes.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:03 AM   #138
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

I don't buy "Don, the slavemaster." We've never seen him treat any of his other (many) women so badly. About the kinkiest we've ever seen him was telling a hooker to slap him...but that's not really the "master" side of that equation, now is it?

I looked to me as though Don--after learning that his dalliance with Sylvia was leading her toward throwing away her marriage--set out to purposefully send her running back into her husband's arms.

That would, on the surface, seem to be a rather selfless act on Don's part...except that I've never really seen Don as someone who actually gives much thought to anyone else's well-being. I think it's probably more likely that Don just wanted to get clear from all the drama and inconvenience Sylvia's escalation of their relationship threatened to bring.
Old May 14 2013, 01:11 AM   #139
Snaploud
Admiral

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
I don't buy "Don, the slavemaster."
I think it fits his character quite well. He always strives to be in control of everything (work, sex, etc.), and he chose a moment in which his work dominance was put into question (through the merger) to experiment with dominance/submissive sex-play. The ending was his recognition that he's not really in control of anything.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:45 AM   #140
Lord Garth
Captain

"Don", the guy who ran away from combat, has been over-compensating since 1950. He was in control of the situation until he got cocky (in more meanings than one) and lost sight.

Ted and Peggy are better than Don, who's passed his prime, and he's threatened by both of them. I guarantee you this isn't something Don was thinking of when he suggested that SCDP and CGC merge. All he was thinking about was doubling the size of the firm and getting Chevy. The combination came at a price: the combination of talent and this is where Don is coming up short more often.

It was obvious last season as well. Ginsberg was a better creative and everyone knew it, even Don, but he's such a character that it kept him at bay. Also, Peggy hadn't broken off and come into her own yet even though she was on the cusp of it. With this season she has. And Ted is the Ken to Don's Pete. Don has serious, level-headed competition from within that he can't just dismiss or leave in a cab.

Ted surpasses Don in running creative, so he resorts to a drinking match, but getting Ted drunk doesn't change the facts that Ted looks to be better at his job than Don. And Ted's a pilot. Don sees that as a blow to his Alpha-ness.

This is why Don was so controlling with Sylvia. She was the one thing he could control. "At last, something you can truly own."

In a way, Don is even worse than Herb. With Herb, you know what he's about right up front and he knows exactly what he is. Don tries to hide what he is, change the conversation, or make it look like something else.

As soon as Don lost Sylvia, he turned his eyes back to Megan but only his eyes. He sees her but doesn't hear anything she has to say or wants to do. He's threatened by that too.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:44 AM   #141
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ Seeing Don's attempted domination of Sylvia as an attempt to replace his increasing loss of control in his business life makes sense. More sense than my original thought that he was just wanting to avoid a messy entanglement that could potential damage his own marriage. I have to admit it's much more "Don" that he would be motivated by his own pathological need for control than by some heretofore latent sense of "doing the right thing" (re Sylvia and Arnold).
Old May 14 2013, 03:52 AM   #142
billcosby
Commodore

What did you people think of the Joan/Bob subplot?
I liked the way she covered his ass but I couldn't figure out if he was just completely brown-nosing or if he genuinely has a thing for Joan?

Bob must have heard about Herb and the Jaguar account. It seems like common knowledge at SCDP.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Don has serious, level-headed competition from within that he can't just dismiss or leave in a cab.
I like the way you phrased that. Does anyone remember last week's episode when Don and Ted were drunk and Don proposed the merger and then says, "Hey lieutenant... wanna get into some trouble?" Isn't that exactly what the young solider says to him in Hawaii in the premiere?

Last edited by billcosby; May 15 2013 at 12:40 AM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:16 AM   #143
Lord Garth
Captain

billcosby wrote: View Post
I liked the way she coved his ass but I couldn't figure out if he was just completely brown-nosing or if he genuinely has a thing for Joan?
It made me like the character. I don't think he's interested in Joan that way (but stranger things have happened), he probably just wanted to help out. I wouldn't say there's no brown-nosing but it's more about his wanting to make a good impression.

His problem is that he doesn't know when to stop. He needs to grow a backbone. Don't go to the brothel with Pete or get his toilet paper.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:11 AM   #144
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Don can't handle the thought of Sylvia--available--as a legitimate prospect to be in his life on a regular basis so he tried to control her completely so he could remain in his comfort zone. The thought of a free Sylvia scared him to death. He's not good at marriage and he knows it.

Don did treat another woman like that--Bobbie Barrett in season 2. He left her cuffed to the bed for the staff to find half naked when she talked about women calling him "the Don Draper treatment" sexually. She was taking control and he didn't want that. It scared him shitless. Remember Don being flabbergasted when Bobbie left one of their encounters early because she had to go see her college aged son in a play? Don couldn't comprehend that this agressively sexy woman could also be a caring mother even though she acted like a "whore/prostitute" behind closed doors. It didn't compute with the good woman/bad woman image Don has stuck in his mind.

Dr. Faye (whom he dumped to marry Megan) had Don pegged. He's only interested in the beginning of things. He can't maintain a healthy intimate relationship. Faye was an intelligent woman whom he enjoyed being with; she challenged him.....and he dumped Faye for the image of saintly Megan who was comfortable around children when Faye wasn't. Don couldn't handle a divorced Sylvia who's more healthy than him psychologically. She'd find out what a scared little boy he still is on the inside. Rachel figured that out. Sylvia would have as well.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:08 PM   #145
J.T.B.
Commodore

Don has serious, level-headed competition from within that he can't just dismiss or leave in a cab.
I like the way you phrased that. Does anyone remember last week's episode when Don and Ted were drunk and Don proposed the merger and then says, "Hey lieutenant... wanna get into some trouble?" Isn't that exactly what the young solider says to him in Hawaii in the premiere?
It was, and it also points to Don's insecurity because he wasn't a real lieutenant, but a fraud. A fraud because he couldn't handle the situation he was in and bailed. It has to cross his mind when he comes across successful rivals who, as far as he knows, did things the honest way.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:55 PM   #146
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I liked the way she coved his ass but I couldn't figure out if he was just completely brown-nosing or if he genuinely has a thing for Joan?
It made me like the character. I don't think he's interested in Joan that way (but stranger things have happened), he probably just wanted to help out. I wouldn't say there's no brown-nosing but it's more about his wanting to make a good impression.
Oh, I'm prettttty sure he's interested in her that way, mainly because of all the trouble they went through to show us Joan's mother's reaction to him and all. How could he not be? Could be wrong, of course.

Appears Joan may be gravitating toward younger guys with less baggage. She made out with that kid (who was a stranger) at the club. It might be interesting to see her involved in an office affair with a younger guy who is her subordinant. Shoe would (finally) be on the other foot, there.

Last edited by gblews; May 15 2013 at 12:13 AM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 09:06 PM   #147
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I found tonight's episode kind of flat, Don's bit of domination role playing notwithstanding. The Bobby Kennedy shooting seemed like it was slipped in as an afterthought.
Keep in mind Kennedy actually died 26 hours after he was shot, so the next episode could very well focus on that period of time.
Old May 16 2013, 04:23 AM   #148
Snaploud
Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm prettttty sure he's interested in her that way, mainly because of all the trouble they went through to show us Joan's mother's reaction to him and all. How could he not be? Could be wrong, of course.
The writers are definitely setting Joan up for a Roger Sterling/Joan Harris relationship in reverse. She's finally in the position to be the older sexual partner with power over an underling sexual partner's career.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:07 AM   #149
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

What in the name of sweet Jesus what that episode I just watched??

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:38 AM   #150
Warped9
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
What in the name of sweet Jesus what that episode I just watched??
I was thinking the same thing. It was like everyone was stoned. What the hell was that doctor (if that's what he really was) injecting them with?