Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 14 2013, 05:07 AM   #31
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Your best headache cures!

Actually, caffeine is known to cause headaches, not cure them. Try to avoid it, especially if it's in a diet soda as sometimes aspartame can cause headaches as well. If you're tired of doctors, there are some simple things you can do on your own.

The hydration part is a really good tip. Make sure that you're getting enough water. I hear varying things, but one that I heard was to take your weight (in lbs), divide by two, and that's how many ounces of water you should drink in a day.

You should also get some exercise, even if it's just something moderate like stretches. Stretches can possibly help relieve muscle tension which could be a factor. Look up some good neck, shoulder, and back stretches online, but be careful not to overexert yourself. These should all be gentle. And supplement your workout with even more water than you would drink in a normal day.

Appropriate sleep is important too. Getting the right amount at the same intervals is important, and apparently things like naps can throw this rhythm off.

Lastly, there's the dreaded diet. You can probably google a quick hitlist of headache or migraine causing foods. Some of these can be really hard to quit, like the aforementioned caffeine. Other things like chocolate, nuts, cheeses, cured meats, etc. can be triggers. Sometimes it may help to just take note of what you ate and if you get a headache in the following day, you might be able to narrow it down. I think I get 'em from MSG.

I'm currently seeing a neurologist for them, and it's... frustrating. So I get why you're hesitant. But if you're able to, it might not be a bad idea to give it a shot. Like another poster said, they might find something out that you never knew was the cause. Like I apparently have Torticollis. I knew I had something like that, but I didn't know if it was anything serious or that it might be contributing to the headaches. Try and see the doctor, and if you don't like what they have to say, you're under no obligation to go back.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:10 PM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Actually, caffeine is known to cause headaches, not cure them.
Unless it's a headache from caffeine withdrawal.
Old May 14 2013, 06:02 PM   #33
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

well, in the worst case there's an infallible remedy invented by a French MD named Joseph-Ignace Guillotin...

Personally, I prefer my (rather strong) headache drops. I take metamizol, but the substance is a bit risky as some people react allergic to it. Fortunately, I don't.
It's available as pills as well but I prefer the drops because I can then vary the dose, according to the strength of my headache.
Old May 14 2013, 07:16 PM   #34
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I am giving up the ghost, folks. I see the doctor tomorrow morning. I chose not to have meds after my late day Excedrin failed. I called the nurses hotline offered by my insurer and the nurse said to get an appointment within 72 hours unless things really change. Hopefully that means I'll be okay by Saturday afternoon. I shall see Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:04 PM   #35
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
More seriously, if you want a decent coffee at home at a budget, get a moka pot. It's not really espresso, but it's a comfortable substitute. None of that instant crap.
Interesting. That's what my parents used, though we just called it the espresso pot.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:16 PM   #36
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I just take Tylonal and water and hope it goes away. It usually does, even though sleep helps too.
Old May 14 2013, 10:40 PM   #37
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
More seriously, if you want a decent coffee at home at a budget, get a moka pot. It's not really espresso, but it's a comfortable substitute. None of that instant crap.
Interesting. That's what my parents used, though we just called it the espresso pot.
Every home in Italy has at least one moka pot (usually more than one). We usually call them just moka or simply caffettiera (coffeepot).

Recently there has been an increase of home espresso machines (like this one). Though not perfect, the results are closer to bar espresso.
Old May 14 2013, 11:12 PM   #38
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^I think we might have a Krups lying around somewhere. That was the in thing to have when the Seattle coffee craze exploded.
Old May 14 2013, 11:36 PM   #39
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Of course, I used that image only because it was conveniently on wiki. The one I have is Italian.
Old May 16 2013, 04:21 PM   #40
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Every home in Italy has at least one moka pot (usually more than one). We usually call them just moka or simply caffettiera (coffeepot).

Recently there has been an increase of home espresso machines (like this one). Though not perfect, the results are closer to bar espresso.
I have one of those! (My roommate is from Italy.)

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:48 PM   #41
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Thought y'all would like an update. I went to my doctor who found I have some rather wicked tension headaches coupled with swollen sinuses perhaps due to the pollen in the air. So I'm on prescription level Advil and Percocet.
Old May 16 2013, 08:52 PM   #42
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ Have you ever used a neti pot? They're supposed to be great for removing bacteria, pollen and other unwanted matter from your sinuses.
Old May 16 2013, 11:25 PM   #43
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That was one of the things on the "I tried it" list, Gary7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ETA: I hope that didn't come out wrong. I love Neti pots, but as I say, they don't always work for me.

Last edited by Peach Wookiee; May 17 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 17 2013, 01:31 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

My parents always used a moka pot. I've had a Krups machine, it worked very well, wonderful to be able to perfectly tailor your coffee to taste. I'm a little flabbergasted at what people buy here these days, people spend hundreds of dollars on coffee machines where you're just pressing a button and a preset amount of everything comes out. Every coffee I've had at peoples houses with these things is dreadful. Some of them don't even require picking out your preferred coffee beans, they come with preset little tubs of the coffee. It's genius marketing, how to make people pay $500+ for instant coffee!

I wore my Krups machine out over 10 years and nowadays I just make a plunger coffee every morning (I think americans call it a french press).

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:28 AM   #45
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Yeah, it's a French press, teacake.