Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 13 2013, 06:28 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: so ST 11 is another timeline

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
^
Warp drive is only one example. IMO, there are many other things that are too different for it simply to be written off as due to a brief never seen since encounter with the Narada.
Which is why I said...

BillJ wrote: View Post

Which is fair enough considering Into Darkness. But I'm happy with the explanation offered by the writers.
Star Trek has never been all that internally consistent, even within various series. Why should I hold J.J. Abrams to a standard I never held Gene Roddenberry or Rick Berman to?

But since your going to hold Abrams to one anyway...

It was more than one brief encounter with the Narada.

* In 2233, Starfleet loses the U.S.S. Kelvin. There are survivors and certainly sensor logs of the incident.

* In 2258, the Klingons lose 47 starships to the Narada. The same year Starfleet loses seven starships and the planet Vulcan to the same vessel.

Plus, we simply don't know if there were any other incidents in the intervening twenty-five years.
Old May 13 2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Mach5
Rear Admiral

stew58 wrote: View Post
hmmmm, with such a massive incident (destroying Vulcan) in the timeline, how come the temporal devision of Startrek didnt do something?
Braga-Trek is that way >>>
Old May 13 2013, 06:32 PM   #18
The Wormhole
Admiral

^
Warp drive is only one example. IMO, there are many other things that are too different for it simply to be written off as due to a brief never seen since encounter with the Narada.
Which is why I said...

Which is fair enough considering Into Darkness. But I'm happy with the explanation offered by the writers.
Star Trek has never been all that internally consistent, even within various series. Why should I hold J.J. Abrams to a standard I never held Gene Roddenberry or Rick Berman too?
Because JJ Abrams is the incumbent. We can't let him off the hook until he's done with Trek and someone else takes over.
Old May 13 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: so ST 11 is another timeline [alt-reality]

hmmmm, with such a massive incident (destroying Vulcan) in the timeline, how come the temporal devision of Startrek didnt do something? hell, in the episode 'Relativity' (Voyager) the temporal guys were out to stop just one ship from being destroyed. ...

hmmm got an idea for a script to put things right here
For the same reason they didn't travel back in time to prevent Adm. Janeway from getting VOY home 16 years early.

It was a Tuesday.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

The Temporal Department agents were probably just really hungover that Monday after a crazy bender on the weekend.

"Man, I wish I could go back and stop myself from doing all those Tequila shots. Oh wait..."
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:50 PM   #21
beamMe
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to think this is completely different Universe,even before the Narada showed up. There are too many inconsistencies in technology for this just to be a different branch of the timeline from when the Narada shows up.
If that were the case, it would make...
But this can indeed be a completely different timeline than the one we knew before, even pre 2233.
As all time-travel episode deal with either pre-destination paradoxes or a "restoring" of the timeline, no major event is changed significantly. In-universe, what we see as the prime-timeline is the culmination of all those time-travel events.

In the new timeline all the major "historical" events also occurred, but without tampering from the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY-time-travellers, resulting in the year 2233 when we first see the Kelvin; a timeline where technology advanced slightly different/faster and the people are slightly different but similar.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Opus
Commodore

Trek messed with the timeline so much, they obliterated DTI with the last change...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:13 AM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
hmmmm, with such a massive incident (destroying Vulcan) in the timeline, how come the temporal devision of Startrek didnt do something? hell, in the episode 'Relativity' (Voyager) the temporal guys were out to stop just one ship from being destroyed. ...

For the same reason they didn't travel back in time to prevent Adm. Janeway from getting VOY home 16 years early.
In my book, they did. It's all a matter of perspective. Audiences get to see the alternate outcomes. The timeline gets still reset by the time cops.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:19 AM   #24
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Didn't the Temporal Cold War pretty much decimate all of the future time traveling factions by the start of Enterprise season 4? the war ended, the DTI were back to being observational paper pushers.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:20 AM   #25
Anduril
Captain

Didn't Star Trek 09 establish that this is an alternate reality? Are we still arguing about this?
Old May 14 2013, 01:28 AM   #26
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Rothschild wrote: View Post
Didn't Star Trek 09 establish that this is an alternate reality? Are we still arguing about this?
apparently so. these are some of the reasons i don't do forums.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:59 AM   #27
Anduril
Captain

I just saw Heat.
Old May 14 2013, 02:57 AM   #28
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^
Which is why I said...

Star Trek has never been all that internally consistent, even within various series. Why should I hold J.J. Abrams to a standard I never held Gene Roddenberry or Rick Berman too?
Because JJ Abrams is the incumbent. We can't let him off the hook until he's done with Trek and someone else takes over.
The only thing, IMO, JJ Abrams is "on the hook" for is telling a great story, not reinforcing a group fantasy that Star Trek is actually real.

Now I didn't actually care much for his first movie because I didn't think much of the story, and, as you say, I won't let him off the hook for producing crap. But I have no problem with Abrams and the writers updating aspects of a nearly 50-year-old series to be a little more relevent to today. In fact, Trek needs to be updated. I'd hate for the films to start resembling those fanwank movies on youtube.
Old May 14 2013, 03:55 AM   #29
Opus
Commodore

Rothschild wrote: View Post
I just saw Heat.
Gaffigan!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:05 AM   #30
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

1. It's a reboot. The whole point is to ditch that nonsense.

2. It was a stupid idea to begin with. It contradicted dozens of time travel episodes in which no time cops from the future interfered and it was used as nothing more than deus ex machina.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote