Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 12 2013, 02:47 PM   #31
jayceee
Commander

Re: Well, THIS makes me feel old...

Today's jawdroppers become tomorrow's generic tv/movie tropes.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:35 PM   #32
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I remember when comic books only cost twelve cents . . ..
Remember when a comic book and a fudgesicle was ten cents? Enjoy the ride.
Ten-cent comics were slightly before my time. I remember them being twelve cents, then fifteen.

And, yeah, it's the rapid changes in technology that sometimes leave me feeling like a dinosaur.I learned to type on a manual typewriter and the only computer education I received in school involved cutting out punchcards with scissors.

Heck, when if first started out in publishing, back in the late eighties,all the editors and assistants still used typewriters, and editing was still done with a red pencil and post-its. And manuscripts arrived in the mail, not over the internet . . . .

(I have to admit that I don't miss White-out and correction tape.)
My college life would have been so much more pleasant if I'd had a computer to work on for all those papers. On the other hand, I had a manual typewriter from my sister that was the same model George Reeves used in 'The Adventures of Superman'
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:44 AM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
The ever increasing number of dead people in movies and television vs. the decreasing distinguishability of the young acotrs.
This.

Is Kristin Stewart in every movie? Who is Amy Adams?
Odd choices to prove the point.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:20 AM   #34
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Growing up I was always out of the loop, not interested in current music, fashion and trends. So while turning 35 in July I do not feel any older or different. I was never really part of my generation anyways. I was always like an observer of culture and technology, which I am never up to date on.

Though with geeky movies finally become mainstream and the younger generation becoming more liberal, I seem to have more in common with younger Facebook friends than people I went to High School with.

Oh and I had been thinking of starting a thread on this but this is a perfect place for it. By appearance more and more people thin I am 10 years younger than I am. Which is a great compliment but can be weird sometimes.

It used to be coworkers who were much older than me thinking I was much younger than I am. I could get that. Its can be hard for me to tell the differences in ages of teens sometimes. But now its also happening with people much younger than me thinking we are the same age.

Just this last week I had this happen with do different guys. One is 19 the other is 24. We are doing remodel work at a store. I had to clean a floor and I found a way of attaching a scrub pad to a mop handle so as not to hurt my back or knees. I have always hated that since I was a kid. SO one of the guys asked me how old I was to be worried about my back. I figured he meant I would be worried because I was so old. But he meant I was too young to need to worry yet. THought I was 26.

24 old said he did not know how to read a clock with hands. Which I thought was odd. I told him I had clocks like that in school. He said we must be the same age, all he had was digital clocks. Was surprised to hear I was much older than him.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; May 13 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:27 PM   #35
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Just a reminder: the original TOTAL RECALL was a 1990s movie. So thanks a lot, remake, because now we feel even older.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:36 PM   #36
the G-man
Commodore

The Fox thing made me feel old not so much because of any particular geeky movie but because he's a guy who is about my age, who was/is famous for playing characters who are/were the same age I am/was at the time and now he's on the AARP cover.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:47 PM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
. . 24 old said he did not know how to read a clock with hands. Which I thought was odd. I told him I had clocks like that in school. He said we must be the same age, all he had was digital clocks.
I've heard of young people who don't know how to tell time by a traditional clock, but I always thought it was an urban myth. Really, aren't kids taught that in kindergarten anymore? "The little hand points to the hour, the big hand points to the minute." How hard is that to learn?
Old May 13 2013, 08:07 PM   #38
Gov Kodos
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Donald Draper wrote: View Post
. . 24 old said he did not know how to read a clock with hands. Which I thought was odd. I told him I had clocks like that in school. He said we must be the same age, all he had was digital clocks.
I've heard of young people who don't know how to tell time by a traditional clock, but I always thought it was an urban myth. Really, aren't kids taught that in kindergarten anymore? "The little hand points to the hour, the big hand points to the minute." How hard is that to learn?
I wouldn't put that down to youth, so much as godawful stupidity.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:10 AM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I think part of it is the speed at which technology and communication evolves. I am only 33, but the mindset between myself and someone who is only 23 is like the difference between standing on Earth and standing on the Moon. I'm a tech geek, so I stay on top of technology as best as I can, but the way that people a decade younger than myself use it is just fascinating. The bond between technology and this coming generation is almost inseparable, and the technology has only been around a scant few years.
As a teen I made a movie with Arnold, Stallone, and Chuck Norris doing a commando raid together by copying and splicing scenes from their movies using two VCRs and then dubbing over the audio with a Casio keyboard that could make samples a few seconds long. It was actually pretty cool for what it was but I wonder what I would've made with today's tech and youthful exuberance. Or if I had today's computers instead of a Commodore 64.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:45 AM   #40
Lord Garth
Captain

the G-man wrote: View Post
Michael J. Fox is the cover subject of this month's AARP magazine.
He looks older than the middle-aged version of himself in Back to the Future, Part II.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:51 AM   #41
Lord Garth
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Each decade in the past seems to have had its own theme. The roaring twenties...the sixties, that 70's show, the 1980s/MTV, etc.

That seems to be gone--it's all a splage now.
'90s -- Good economy, Clinton, pagers, Web 1.0, grunge & gangsta rap.

'00s -- War on terror, Bush, cell phones, Web 2.0, post-grunge & crunk.

'10s -- Terrible economy, Obama, mini-computers that happen to have phone capability, grandparents on Facebook, indie rock & electro-pop.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 10:08 PM   #42
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

43 Things that will make you feel Old...

I was too old for Spongebob and Blue's Clues. I was in middle school. Class of 95? In 5 years, there will be adults that can buy cigarettes that DO NOT REMEMBER the 20th CENTURY!
Old May 14 2013, 10:11 PM   #43
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
As a teen I made a movie with Arnold, Stallone, and Chuck Norris doing a commando raid together by copying and splicing scenes from their movies using two VCRs and then dubbing over the audio with a Casio keyboard that could make samples a few seconds long. It was actually pretty cool for what it was but I wonder what I would've made with today's tech and youthful exuberance. Or if I had today's computers instead of a Commodore 64.
Do you still have the movie, and if so, can you post it?

For me, I felt old when I went to my first anime convention back in 2002; I was in my thirties. When I saw how old all of the attendees were, I felt all of my 35 years hit me like a brick; I'm the old man now (all of the attendees were teenagers.) It was an unsettling experience.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:07 AM   #44
Mojochi
Commodore

You can't escape knowing your old when you see Chevy Chase showing up on Community looking like Dick Cheney
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:55 AM   #45
Finn
Vice Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Michael J. Fox is the cover subject of this month's AARP magazine.
He looks older than the middle-aged version of himself in Back to the Future, Part II.
I'd like some of what you are smoking...

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote