RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 499
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 14 2013, 01:06 AM   #16
JoeD80
Captain

Re: George Takei and Second Two of TOS

I don't get the "either/or" mentality. It's perfectly normal to film two things at once and enjoy them both. Easy for Takei to support TOS even while on other projects. One experience doesn't detract from the other.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:26 AM   #17
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
I don't get the "either/or" mentality. It's perfectly normal to film two things at once and enjoy them both. Easy for Takei to support TOS even while on other projects. One experience doesn't detract from the other.
The "either / or" discussion exists because it is not uncommon for TV stars to shoot a movie, and if they make an impresson, demand more from their series, or leave thinking they have hit the career jackpot.
Old May 14 2013, 01:39 AM   #18
marksound
Fleet Captain

Funny, I never noticed Takei wasn't in those episodes.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:56 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Exactly. Unless you're a series regular (which, remember, Takei wasn't), you can't make a living as an actor without taking multiple jobs. It's common for recurring cast members on one series to take gigs on other series during its run.

In fact, let me research that -- other acting jobs by TOS main cast during TOS's run.

Shatner: Gunsmoke episode "Quaker Girl"; movie White Comanche; CBS Playhouse episode "Shadow Game"; TV movie The Skirts of Happy Chance.

Nimoy, Kelley: None I can find.

Doohan: Iron Horse premiere episode "Rail Runs West"; Jericho (1966) episode "Eric the Redhead"; movie Jigsaw. (IMDb also credits him playing a recurring chauffeur on Peyton Place at the time, but Wikipedia seems to say he only played the role before TOS and the character was then recast.)

Nichols: Tarzan 2-parter "The Deadly Silence"; movie Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding!

Takei: Mission: Impossible episode "The Carriers"; Felony Squad episode "A Blueprint for Dying"; movies The Big Mouth and The Green Berets; It Takes a Thief episode "To Catch a Roaring Lion."

Koenig: Mannix episode "Delayed Action."

Barrett: Please Don't Eat the Daisies episode "Just While You're Resting"; movies A Guide for the Married Man and Track of Thunder; The Second Hundred Years episode "Remember the Maine"; Here Come the Brides episode "Lovers and Wanderers."

Okay, so Takei did more guest appearances elsewhere than most. But considering how few Asian-American actors there were in the business at the time, it stands to reason that each of them would've been in fairly heavy demand.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:44 AM   #20
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nichols: Tarzan 2-parter "The Deadly Silence"; movie Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding!
While I've never been able to independently confirm this, Nichols supposedly had a on-going singing career a the time. The way I heard the story, she would do her day work on Star Trek, then be a lounge singer in the evening.

True, or idle convention talk ... hard to say.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Takei was a regular, with a contract for 7 out of every 13 episodes, which was apparently the union minimum for series regulars at the time. (I know, we've done this dance before.)

Having said that, I believe he was given permission from the Desilu front office to appear in the movie, and when weather (or whatever happened) made it run long, it's not Takei's fault for sticking around and fulfilling his contract. Obviously, no one at Desilu had a problem with him, since he was kept aboard for season three.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:21 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Harvey wrote: View Post
Takei was a regular, with a contract for 7 out of every 13 episodes, which was apparently the union minimum for series regulars at the time. (I know, we've done this dance before.)
Then I will repeat: While the distinction today is looser, in '60s TV the term "regular" would've only applied to someone whose name was in the main titles and who appeared in every or almost every episode. Only Shatner and Nimoy were regulars in season 1, and only they and Kelley were regulars for the rest of the series. The rest were semi-regulars.

Old May 14 2013, 03:01 PM   #23
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

In fact, let me research that -- other acting jobs by TOS main cast during TOS's run.

Shatner: Gunsmoke episode "Quaker Girl"; movie White Comanche; CBS Playhouse episode "Shadow Game"; TV movie The Skirts of Happy Chance.
Wow, as the series lead in every episode and in most scenes, when did he have the time? I can see squeezing ion movies during the hiatus, but other TV series appearances would have been shooting at the same time, most likely. When it came to hard work, there was no faulting this guy....
Old May 14 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^I admit, I was going by airdate and it can be hard to be certain when some of these things were shot. For instance, Nimoy has a credit for a movie that was released in 1967, but it was expanded from a failed TV pilot that was apparently made in '66, probably not long before regular production on TOS began, so I didn't count it.

Old May 14 2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Then I will repeat: While the distinction today is looser, in '60s TV the term "regular" would've only applied to someone whose name was in the main titles and who appeared in every or almost every episode. Only Shatner and Nimoy were regulars in season 1, and only they and Kelley were regulars for the rest of the series. The rest were semi-regulars.
Let me quote Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (emphasis mine):

In fact, he [DeForest Kelley] would not receive costar billing and was guaranteed only the actors' union minimum for series regulars, "seven out of thirteen" shows, including the pilot.
For the first season, Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Whitney, and Takei were all signed as "series regulars." A May 31, 1966 document in the UCLA Roddenberry files, "First Production Year 1966-1967" confirms this. "Semi-regular" might be a useful way of distinguishing between regulars earning SAG minimum and the stars, but in the television industry in the 1960s, they were all regulars.

(Happy to share some of this stuff if you PM me.)

Old May 14 2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Well, if you have documentation, I'll have to take your word for it. It's not a usage I've ever encountered before, though.

Old May 15 2013, 05:20 AM   #27
Lance
Commodore

I have to say, due to Takei not being in every episode of seasons one and three anyway, his slightly extended absence from season two isn't perhaps as noticable as it would be if he'd been contracted for more episodes in the first place.

For the first season, Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Whitney, and Takei were all signed as "series regulars."
It always made sense to me that Kelley, Whitney and Takei were all contracted as regulars (or 'semi-regulars'). Whitney is there front and centre alongside Shatner and Nimoy in the early publicity material. Of course, that could just be because she's a pretty face. Not to say Nimoy and Shatner aren't... oh, you know what I mean.

Just out of interest, what were the terms of Doohan's contract? I notice you don't mention him, but as a carry-over from the pilot episode like Takei surely he would have had a similar contract?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:28 AM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

In the same document, Doohan is listed as being contracted for "multiple" episodes rather than being a series regular. He was contracted for 5 out of 13 episodes, under the SAG minimum of 7 for series regulars, although the actual terms of his contract (excluding the number of episodes) are on par with DeForest Kelley and better than those of Whitney or Takei.

The fact that he wasn't initially a regular may be related to Roddenberry's attempt to dump Doohan after the second pilot, but that is just speculation on my part.

Old May 15 2013, 08:46 AM   #29
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Roddenberry's attempt to dump Doohan after the second pilot
I'm not up to speed on this. What's this about, please?
Old May 15 2013, 01:22 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Lance wrote: View Post
I have to say, due to Takei not being in every episode of seasons one and three anyway, his slightly extended absence from season two isn't perhaps as noticable as it would be if he'd been contracted for more episodes in the first place.
The fact that they aired the episodes out of production order helped mask it too. In shooting order, he's missing for 9 consecutive episodes, and 10 out of 11 consecutive ones. In broadcast order, though, he's missing from episodes 5, 10, 13, 15-19, 21, 22, and 25. So there are five in a row without him, but otherwise his absences wouldn't have been quite as noticeable.