MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13 2013, 09:34 PM   #196
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Aldo wrote: View Post
And as for the Mandarin switch, I have no connection with him in the comics, not read a single Iron Man story that features him, and yet I was disappointed with the "twist." He was being built up as this scary terrorist that seemed very real based on past events and yet was still a bit of fantasy, then they take that away from us and give us another businessman in a suit.
Yeah that was my problem as well. Instead of the truly scary and unique threat posed by this uber-terrorist The Mandarin, we get just another guy with a grudge against Tony, who's got the superpowers of a second-rate X-Men villain.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 09:48 PM   #197
Pavonis
Commodore

Why were some people disappointed that Kingsley wasn't the Mandarin? What would make Trevor Slattery's "Mandarin" more scary than Killian's "Mandarin"? Blowing up more stuff? Killing more people? Having a different agenda - perhaps world domination, or killing all of humanity?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:58 PM   #198
Aldo
Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Why were some people disappointed that Kingsley wasn't the Mandarin? What would make Trevor Slattery's "Mandarin" more scary than Killian's "Mandarin"? Blowing up more stuff? Killing more people? Having a different agenda - perhaps world domination, or killing all of humanity?
Because he was something different for a change. In the first film sure we got terrorists, but ultimately it was Jeff Bridge's character who was the main villain (guy in a suit). In the second movie we had Mickey Rourke as a variation on Whiplash, he was pretty cool, but then we find out the main villain is Sam Rockwell (guy in a suit). Finally we get this movie which seems to promise us something different...and yet we end up with Killian (guy in a suit). Yes each villain has some variation and something to make him different, but what it all boils down to is a guy in a suit.
Old May 14 2013, 12:05 AM   #199
Pavonis
Commodore

So a petty terrorist would have been a better villain? What kind of challenge would that have posed for Stark?
Old May 14 2013, 12:18 AM   #200
davejames
Vice Admiral

So a petty terrorist would have been a better villain? What kind of challenge would that have posed for Stark?
Because he was being built up as an even scarier version of Bin Ladin-- who could blow up Tony's mansion on a whim, hack into our computer systems, kidnap and murder people on live television, and cause massive explosions without leaving a trace.

You weren't sure how he did what he did, and it got you thinking that maybe he was more than just a standard terrorist, and maybe had some kind of otherworldly power or ability we didn't yet know about.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:23 AM   #201
Pavonis
Commodore

How was "the Mandarin" built up as a scarier version of bin Laden?
Old May 14 2013, 12:28 AM   #202
Dream
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Finally we get this movie which seems to promise us something different...and yet we end up with Killian (guy in a suit).
In a business suit maybe. The problem with IM has always been that his villains kind of suck. IM is more well known as a member of the Avengers.
Old May 14 2013, 12:44 AM   #203
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I would say the main villain of IM 2 was Vanko, not Hammer.
Old May 14 2013, 12:52 AM   #204
Dream
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Like I said before, Vanko and Hammer were never a threat. They were only a danger to Stark because he was distracted by his reactor issue which I consider the main problem.

Vanko was beaten very easily on the race track after Stark suited up, and the final fight in two minutes. The Hammer drones gave Stark more of a problem.

Hammer? Pepper had him arrested by the NYPD. Pathetic.
Old May 14 2013, 12:57 AM   #205
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I would agree.
Old May 14 2013, 01:26 AM   #206
Aldo
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Like I said before, Vanko and Hammer were never a threat. They were only a danger to Stark because he was distracted by his reactor issue which I consider the main problem.

Vanko was beaten very easily on the race track after Stark suited up, and the final fight in two minutes. The Hammer drones gave Stark more of a problem.

Hammer? Pepper had him arrested by the NYPD. Pathetic.
I'll give you that one. But then again, like I mentioned in my initial post here, I really enjoyed Iron Man 2, I know a lot of people disliked the fact that a stretch of the film was kind of used to set up Avengers, but I liked that part too, and I liked Black Widow's role in the film.

I do have issues with Iron Man 3, this is true. I think the best part of it for me was dealing with how the incident in the Avenger's affected Stark. Pepper suiting up (albeit briefly) was also a really awesome moment too.
Old May 14 2013, 01:44 AM   #207
Dream
Admiral

They should have just kept Pepper with the Extremis super powers to end the movie. It would have been the first time in a comic book movie where the story ended with the girlfriend being more powerful than the male hero.

I'll choose to think of Tony's line about her being cured as him solving the exploding problem. In my mind she still has the badass fire super powers. Also I think the sex would have been explosive.
Old May 14 2013, 02:57 AM   #208
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
The Hammeroids gave Stark more of a problem.
Fixed that for you.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 01:23 AM   #209
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
I suspect that somewhere in the various rewrites/editing they lost an explanation that Killian had been funding the 10 rings all along. that's why killian made the comment that he had always been the Mandarin and why he had the dragon tats in the final scene.
And that is really my biggest gripe with the the film.
That in the grand scheme of things I'm supposed to believe Killian has orchestrated everything/anything involved with the terrorist group The Ten Rings. It's not what Favreau and Feige said in interviews during IM or IM2. They were building to The Mandarin....as the central threat.
Then in interviews for IM3 Feige revealed how Shane Black approached him with his idea for the Mandarin and he approved the change......so changed from what I can only guess was a more true take on The Mandarin as the legit threat.

If Killian is in charge of AIM and it's funding I'm going to believe he's not giving any tech, even in smaller doses, to his 10 Ring army scattered about. They are having to steal Stark tech? It's just a disconnect in the grand scheme of it as an arc.

It's still a fun movie and I've seen it three times cause despite that, rather big gripe for me personally, it's still a really fun and engaging film otherwise. B/B- grade
I can see the argument that the Mandarin was associated with the terrorists in the first film but, unless I'm forgetting something, what's the connection to the second film? I found the first film to be relatively self-contained and not having an Iron Man 3 connection didn't really leave any plot holes.

Anyway, I liked it. Very good action. Close to the first better than the second, not as good as The Avengers.

When I saw the twist, I half expected he was throwing them for a loop and it would turn out that he was real after all. However, Ben Kingsley played the character they created for the movie very well. I'm not an Iron Man comics reader (I think my only real intro to Iron Man before the movies was a Spiderman or X-Men cartoon crossover). Once I saw that the villain was Killian, I was fine with it. The Extremis people were quite good and there was essentially an army of them so the threat was quite real. The action scene at the end was great.
Old May 15 2013, 01:29 AM   #210
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Exactly. Have Iron Man land on him and that's it. He's dead.