RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 415
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 13 2013, 09:01 PM   #31
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: Earth will fall [SPOILERS]

trevanian wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
SPOILERS:
Earth will fall because, despite there being a space battle only 200,000 Km away, Starfleet security took no action to intervene. Earth will fall because, despite having a defence grid (mentioned in ST09 but also seen in TMP) nobody bothers to activate it to stop a ship with only one life sign on board from hitting a city and killing thousands of people. Earth will fall because people that stupid deserve everything they get.
Since you mentioned TMP; were was the fleet in that one?
If you go by what's said in the movie, they are far enough out that nobody can get recalled fast enough to intercept (this is in part because vger is coming at a sustained speed - 7.6? -probably higher than that of starships, which had a top cruising speed of warp 6 and were supposed to start shaking apart if you ran them too long at warp 7 or 8.)

If you figure there are still only a dozen or so starship-class available (which is debatable), there's a lot of space to be covered, so it is at least somewhat plausible that this is the only starship in interception range.

An earlier draft had vger intercepted by a light cruiser that managed to get in its way, and it basically was replaced by that gorgeous Epsilon 9 station in the movie.
Yeah - there are ships and there are starships. It is a bit silly that there were no ships at all between Klingon space and Earth but I have to respect TMP for treating space as the truly vast and terrible beast it really is.

I can imagine a starship crew out on the rim, exploring all alone, with no help - like in Alien (I even did an Alien/TMP crossover - lol). I can't imagine that in NuTrek.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:14 PM   #32
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It appears to me that the advertising was based on an early draft of the script and not what eventually ended up on film. Which is of course nonsense, but it still looks like it.

I do think that this John Harrison thing was a last minute addition when they cast Cumberbatch. Orci & Co got to know in the middle of pre-production that everybody else already assumed they were going for Khan. So they tried to keep it a mystery as long as possible. So they cast Cumberbatch instead of Del Toro, and rewrote the script around him. Which eventually resulted in a character reveal that isn't spectacular, or even necessary. Would the film really be different with John Harrison being JUST John Harrison?

In fact, the character and the plot around him is so ambigous, it seems they couldn't decide between Khan and Gary Mitchell. I think they only made up their mind about that when they cast Cumberbatch. Both reimagined Khan and reimagined Mitchell could have done everything in the film, secretly recruited, super strength, magic healing abilities, and all that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I still think it makes sense that Harrison is actually one of the other Augments who just took Khan as a title. Meaning: In this timeline, the real Khan was one of the ones who died before he could be revived, and Harrison took over as leader (thus the title 'Khan').
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:29 PM   #34
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but he's not.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:29 PM   #35
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I can imagine a starship crew out on the rim, exploring all alone, with no help ... I can't imagine that in NuTrek.
You don't have to.
You can see it in this film.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:24 AM   #36
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I did find it weird they had a secret facility by Jupiter. But we never really saw how populated Earth was and if it had starships whizzing around all the time, I mean by the time of DS9 and TNG they seemingly did, but look how pathetic the defense was against The Borg....
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:47 AM   #37
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I can imagine a starship crew out on the rim, exploring all alone, with no help ... I can't imagine that in NuTrek.
You don't have to.
So is this the six-weeks-from-radio-contact rim or the 5minute warp ride rim?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:08 AM   #38
Oso Blanco
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It appears to me that the advertising was based on an early draft of the script and not what eventually ended up on film.
To me it appears that the story of this movie was so top secret that JJ & Co. didn't even tell Paramount's marketing department what it was all about, so they had to make something up.
Old May 14 2013, 03:15 AM   #39
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I still think it makes sense that Harrison is actually one of the other Augments who just took Khan as a title. Meaning: In this timeline, the real Khan was one of the ones who died before he could be revived, and Harrison took over as leader (thus the title 'Khan').
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yeah, but he's not.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you WROTE the film.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:12 AM   #40
Mutai Sho-Rin

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yeah, but he's not.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you WROTE the film.

Ummm - maybe not necessary.
Old May 14 2013, 07:41 AM   #41
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
You don't have to.
So is this the six-weeks-from-radio-contact rim or the 5minute warp ride rim?
Tee hee. That makes my point very succinctly.

But I think of the term 'the rim' to be the edge of explored space rather than the edge of some other known race's empire.

It was silly to imply that the facility by Jupiter was 'secret' and I think Kirk should have instantly known where the co-ordinates were and told Scotty to go and check out the orbital facility at these co-ordinates. I have no issue with S31 carrying out secret projects in the facility.

I would, however, question why a top secret facility would not monitor the ships that approach it and warn them off. I suppose they must employ the same dozy security guards as Earth.

As an aside, I think sending them on a 5 year mission will be the excuse to produce the animated series, which I am looking forward to, although I fully expect them to use even more contrived and silly plots.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:08 AM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Wondering where they go next. For at the end of the 5-year-mission lies The Undiscovered V'Ger.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote