RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 487
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 06:54 PM   #76
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: The 3D-quality

Jarod Russell

Pray continue ... (at your leisure, my folks are coming over and I might not be by here for several hours.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:30 PM   #77
Harvey
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm in my 50s and I don't ever recall a time when B&W was cheaper than color for amateur use. To get B&W movie film was damned near impossible, in fact. I think at 16mm level B&W was cheaper, maybe.
No idea about 35mm, but from personal experience, 16mm black and white stock is half the price of 16mm color stock. The processing cost was the same regardless of color.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:31 PM   #78
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm in my 50s and I don't ever recall a time when B&W was cheaper than color for amateur use.
I was talking about still photography in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Colour pics were at least double the amount to get processed. 126 cartridges were about double b/w rolls.

My brother had a b/w Polaroid camera in the 70s and, when he upgraded to colour, the packs of instant film were at least double the cost.

Early ink-jet printer cartridges in the 90s: b/w was always cheaper than colour, although they made a sudden switcheroo about ten years ago - and it's now seemingly cheaper to print out drafts in colour?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:37 PM   #79
indranee
Vice Admiral

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Seen it at IMAX 3D today brilliant experience but after a while forgot the 3D was there but the sound and picture jaw dropping good !!! Going to see it in 2D tommorw can't wait for it !!!
Can you please come back and tell us how the 2D was? My family has basically voted me out and we're now watching it in 2D... I'll get a chance to watch it again, of course, in 3D IMAX with just the kids, but this time around the family rules.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:46 PM   #80
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
it didn't have the bugs Avatar had for me, namely structures (e.g. furniture) being cut off and thus looking weird or 3D when it should be 2D (e.g. the picture in the locker).
Ummm, if "Avatar" was filmed with 3D cameras, how did a picture in a locker go 3D? Unless it was 3D to start with?
I have no idea but it happened. One of the friends I watched the movie with pointed it out as something that bugged her as well.

beamMe wrote: View Post
If not, people are better protected against those blinding lens-flares.
Well, now that you mention it I did find them less noticeable this time around. Maybe that's the explanation.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
The first 3D movie I pay my money to see will be the first movie that uses 3D to such great effect that seeing the movie without it ruins the movie.
What would that be?

It's a silly rule. Like insisting on only paying for a color movie when color is used to such great effect that seeing the movie without it ruins the movie.

There is NO single film that is ruined by removing color.
Well, there were complaint letters to the BBC of people ranting about a scene in the movie "Magical Mystery Tour" where they had to stare at seemingly pointless scenery shots. In the actual scene the landscape changes colours but as the BBC showed it in black and white nobody saw that.
That's just one example that came to my mind immediately. Many films do rely on scenic shots that would be quite boring to look at in black and white. While I wouldn't follow Cinema Geekly's rule your comparison strikes me as defeating your point.
Old May 13 2013, 09:56 PM   #81
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
That's just one example that came to my mind immediately. Many films do rely on scenic shots that would be quite boring to look at in black and white. While I wouldn't follow Cinema Geekly's rule your comparison strikes me as defeating your point.
Come on, the term "boring" is so incredibly subjective... some might even find black and white scenery interesting.

A film is ruined when the film doesn't work anymore. Removing sound would ruin a modern film. But reducing 5.1 Surround Sound to 2.0 Stereo Sound doesn't ruin a film.

Heck, TOS was supposed to sell color TVs, which is why it's so colorful. Yet most people watched it in black and white, where, for example, the uniforms are not distinguishable. Still didn't ruin it for them, I take.

It wouldn't even ruin Schindler's List if you removed the colored dress.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:55 PM   #82
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I saw it in 3D, looks great. I think my local theater upgraded their projectors so it doesn't look as dark anymore.

I liked that the lens flare had a 3D effect and the warp effect looked amazing.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:00 PM   #83
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

To be honest 3D to me is a scam I just don't see it, however the Imax part of it was outstanding I've never seen such a clear sharp image.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:32 PM   #84
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

The excellent 3D is one of the only things this movie has going for it.
Old May 16 2013, 08:37 PM   #85
MacLeod
Admiral

How can 3D be a scam, you generally have the option of going to see it in 2D, it's not like you are forced into watching it in 3D.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote