The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 13 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
stew58
Cadet

so ST 11 is another timeline [alt-reality]

hmmmm, with such a massive incident (destroying Vulcan) in the timeline, how come the temporal devision of Startrek didnt do something? hell, in the episode 'Relativity' (Voyager) the temporal guys were out to stop just one ship from being destroyed. ...

hmmm got an idea for a script to put things right here
stew58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: so ST 11 is another timeline

stew58 wrote: View Post
hmmmm, with such a massive incident (destroying Vulcan) in the timeline, how come the temporal division of Star Trek didn't do something? hell, in the episode 'Relativity' (Voyager) the temporal guys were out to stop just one ship from being destroyed. ...

hmmm got an idea for a script to put things right here
Why haven't the Department of Temporal Investigations fixed most of the botched time-travel shenanigans in Star Trek? If you poke around you'll see that the timeline actually branched at 2233, when Nero first appears. At that point there is the original timeline and the new one created by his incursion. Think of a fork in the road.
Old May 13 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

They saw how much more awesome the resulting timeline was and decided to keep it.
Old May 13 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Dulmur and Lucsly are still working on a fix. Stand by.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
ConRefit79
Captain

I'm beginning to think this is completely different Universe,even before the Narada showed up. There are too many inconsistencies in technology for this just to be a different branch of the timeline from when the Narada shows up.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:31 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to think this is completely different Universe,even before the Narada showed up. There are too many inconsistencies in technology for this just to be a different branch of the timeline from when the Narada shows up.
Which is fair enough considering Into Darkness. But I'm happy with the explanation offered by the writers.
Old May 13 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

There's no indication that the DTI of the prime timeline could ever know about the Abrams version. From that DTI's perspective, nothing happened except two ships vanished into a black hole, which subsequently closed up, and the ships were never seen again. Nobody can ever know where or when those ships went. Thus, there's no way to know about the existence of the branched timeline thus created.

The DTI of the Abrams timeline, however, might be curious...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:37 PM   #8
ConRefit79
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Which is fair enough considering Into Darkness. But I'm happy with the explanation offered by the writers.
Well remember, they only wrote what Spock was trying to explain the events of ST09. But if you want to buy 20yrs is enough time for them to create warp drive capable of going from Earth to Vulcan in 30 minutes, fine by me. At the end of ST:TMP, Scotty said it would take the refitted Enterprise 3 days to reach Vulcan.
Old May 13 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well remember, they only wrote what Spock was trying to explain the events of ST09. But if you want to buy 20yrs is enough time for them to create warp drive capable of going from Earth to Vulcan in 30 minutes, fine by me. At the end of ST:TMP, Scotty said it would take the refitted Enterprise 3 days to reach Vulcan.
Four days.

Warp drive has always been as fast as the plot requires (the Enterprise travels a thousand light-years in twelve hours in That Which Survives, to the center of the galaxy in a few hours in The Final Frontier, from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in the blink-of-an-eye in First Contact). So I'm not too concerned about inconsistencies in speed from episode/movie to episode/movie.
Old May 13 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

A simpler explanation is just that they'd probably rather avoid any "Department of Time Travel" shenanigans at all cost, because that partiular element was already incredibly inconsistent within already established lore.

For example, in TNG - A Matter of Time, why didn't the Temporal Incursion Department of whatchamawhosit from the 29th century stop the 26th century historian from traveling back into the 22nd century? Then after that, why didn't they stop Berlingoff Rasmussen from stealing his ship and coming to the 24th century? Further still, why did they allow Picard to strand him in the 24th century after his time ship returned to the 22nd century? Did the time historian who was previously trapped in the 22nd century find the pod and return to the 26th century, assuming he was even still alive? If not, did agents from the 29th century travel to the 22nd century and return the pod to the 26th century, where it originated?

Yeah, pre-JJ Trek was no stanger to playing fast and loose with time.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

The whole time travel stuff in Voyager and later Enterprise was really dumb.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:54 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
The whole time travel stuff in Voyager and later Enterprise was really dumb.
Not so sure it was dumb. But it wasn't very well thought out...
Old May 13 2013, 05:56 PM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral

If that were the case, it would make...

At the end of ST:TMP, Scotty said it would take the refitted Enterprise 3 days to reach Vulcan.
A shakedown cruise to Vulcan is a lot different to a maximum warp rescue mission.
Old May 13 2013, 06:05 PM   #14
ConRefit79
Captain

^
Warp drive is only one example. IMO, there are many other things that are too different for it simply to be written off as due to a brief never seen since encounter with the Narada.
Old May 13 2013, 06:24 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Like the US wasn't changed at all by one brief terriorist attack on 9/11?