Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 13 2013, 04:01 PM   #46
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: 7.2 Box Set Already Available In America

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely that the copies that went out will simply have been received by people who have no knowledge of/interest in DVD ripping and torrenting. No one who actually has legal authority is going to care enough even to threaten legal action over something like this. If they put the Gallifrey Base admins in charge, maybe...
Put Gallifrey Base admins in charge and half the fandom would be in shackles for even talking about the leak.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Are we sure this was an accident and not part of the hyping up machine?
Generally the Hype-up machine wants to tease, not provide a way for full copies to be released onto the internet before the actual show.
Do we even know that there is a real leak?

Tom wrote: View Post
Have not seen the torrent out yet.
We might not - depends on number of people who received it - if it is low, how hard is to contact each of them and brace them with possible legal consequences?
It'd be a waste of time and money on their part, not to mention all but guaranteeing that a copy of the DVD made it into the wild.
Old May 13 2013, 04:03 PM   #47
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

One of the guys who claims to have it seems to have a long-standing history in Doctor Who fandom and he's posted video of him with the box - can't see how it would be faked.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:06 PM   #48
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:12 PM   #49
StCoop
Commodore

Leak isn't really the right word. Colossal cock-up perhaps?

Given that the copy we know about came from the BBC America shop, it would be pretty easy for them to verify if any had been shipped out.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:14 PM   #50
SeerSGB
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Leak isn't really the right word. Colossal cock-up perhaps?

Given that the copy we know about came from the BBC America shop, it would be pretty easy for them to verify if any had been shipped out.
Or deliberate "blunder".
Old May 13 2013, 04:29 PM   #51
StCoop
Commodore

Or deliberate "blunder".
To what possible end? To piss off fans, generate negative publicity and drive the ratings down even further?
Old May 13 2013, 05:05 PM   #52
Relayer1
Commodore

One of the guys who claims to have it seems to have a long-standing history in Doctor Who fandom and he's posted video of him with the box - can't see how it would be faked.
I might be cynical, but it's an awful lot of publicity - what if it's just a ruse and no copies were actually sent out ? A couple of photo's with a known fan who is in on it and there you go...
Old May 13 2013, 05:10 PM   #53
StCoop
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I might be cynical, but it's an awful lot of publicity - what if it's just a ruse and no copies were actually sent out ? A couple of photo's with a known fan who is in on it and there you go...
To what possible end? To piss off fans, generate negative publicity and drive the ratings down even further?
Old May 13 2013, 05:12 PM   #54
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Plus BBC isn't legally allowed to play games like this and tell lies. Which means it would be down to BBC America playing the con, and I can't imagine any circumstance where they would think a con like this would be beneficial

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:02 PM   #55
SeerSGB
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Plus BBC isn't legally allowed to play games like this and tell lies. Which means it would be down to BBC America playing the con, and I can't imagine any circumstance where they would think a con like this would be beneficial
Well it's got people talking about the finale, for one. It's probably bumped up orders for the DVD sets, do to people thinking they're going to get it early. I can see some marketing manager coming up with this. And the BBC proper would end up with plausible deniability: "We didn't do it, some packer in the American warehouse fucked up...heads will roll!"

Last edited by SeerSGB; May 13 2013 at 06:26 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:13 PM   #56
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I think people need to cut back on the meth.
Old May 13 2013, 06:24 PM   #57
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well it's got people talking about the finale, for one. It's probably bumped up orders for the DVD sets, do to people thinking they're going to get it early. I can see some marketing manager coming up with this. And the BCC proper would end up with plausible deniability: "We didn't do it, some packer in the American warehouse fucked up...heads will roll!"
I'm fairly confident this is legitimate fuck-up and not some convoluted ploy to generate hype/ratings. Fuck-ups happen, and are a reality of life. This sort of ploy would take quite a bit of planning, more than BBC or Moffat would consider necessary when they can just do their usual promos/interviews/clips/pictures and get fandom's blood pumping.

The lesson learned here is in the future to avoid this sort of thing happening again, don't release the DVD set so close to the finale's airdate.

Last edited by The Wormhole; May 13 2013 at 06:34 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:29 PM   #58
SeerSGB
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well it's got people talking about the finale, for one. It's probably bumped up orders for the DVD sets, do to people thinking they're going to get it early. I can see some marketing manager coming up with this. And the BCC proper would end up with plausible deniability: "We didn't do it, some packer in the American warehouse fucked up...heads will roll!"
I'm fairly confident this is legitimate fuck-up and some convoluted ploy to generate hype/ratings. Fuck-ups happen, and are a reality of life. This sort of ploy would take quite a bit of planning, more than BBC or Moffat would consider necesary when they can just do their usual promos/interviews/clips/pictures and get fandom's blood pumping.

The lesson learned here is in the future to avoid this sort of thing happening again, don't release the DVD set so close to the finale's airdate.
It's a safe bet that is all that it is. But I tend to never rule out someone doing something stupid thinking it's a good marketing ideal.
Old May 13 2013, 06:35 PM   #59
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Silence will fall

The guy that revealed he had his set released early has been directly contacted by the BBC

Just got a call from BBC America, essentially pleading with me not to release any information. That's really interesting. I really wasn't expecting that. He made it seem as though I'd be getting the copy today, but I got it early I guess. I expect more to be released today then.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:37 PM   #60
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I would have asked for some swag to keep quiet.