TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 13 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
BBC Three Gets Orphan Black Rights

BBC Three have picked up the UK rights to air Orphan Black. No details on when it's going to air other than "Upcoming schedules."

BBC Three announced today that it has acquired Orphan Black, a suspenseful thriller produced by BBC America, Bell Media and Temple Street Productions.

This exciting and ambitious 10-part drama is co-created by Graeme Manson and John Fawcett, with Manson also serving as writer and Fawcett as director. It is distributed internationally by BBC Worldwide.

Perry Simon, General Manager of BBC America, says: “Orphan Black has met with terrific excitement in the US from critics, the audience and across social media. Graeme and John have created an intricate web that keeps you guessing at every turn and at the heart of the action Tatiana Maslany’s performance is simply dazzling. We couldn’t be more pleased that UK viewers are getting the chance to join in the fun.”
Rising star Tatiana Maslany (The Nativity, Picture Day) plays Sarah Manning, an outsider and orphan whose life changes dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks exactly like her. Sarah assumes her identity, her boyfriend and her bank account. But instead of this solving her problems, the street-smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who her doppelganger really is...

Sue Deeks, Head of Programme Acquisition, adds: "Orphan Black is an intriguing roller-coaster ride of a thriller with a complex and engaging plot and a virtuoso performance by Tatiana Maslany – we are delighted that it is going to be part of BBC Three’s upcoming schedule."
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Starkers
Admiral

Re: BBC Three Gets Orphan Black Rights

Didn't Sarah Michelle Gellar do a series with the same plot?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Ringer, well the plot was more along the lines are twin sisters separated at birth, one rich and in a loveless marriage, one poor, they find each other and the rich one fakes her own death so the poor one takes over her life, while the rich one goes off to find a different life. Or something along those lines. Saw an episode or two and didn't really care for it.

I believe Orphan Black is more "sci-fi" in nature, in that it's not twins but clones.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old May 13 2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Starkers
Admiral

Ah...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
BBC Three have picked up the UK rights to air Orphan Black. No details on when it's going to air other than "Upcoming schedules."
On a tangential note, did the BBC ever pick up Copper, BBC America's other big original drama?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed the series so far. A strange premise and well done by Tatiana Maslany.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

On a tangential note, did the BBC ever pick up Copper, BBC America's other big original drama?
Nope.
Old May 13 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I seem to remember FOX UK picked up the rights, along with Da Vinci's Demons but they've aired that and not Copper, so maybe not. Ah, seems it was FX bought the international rights not including the UK, so it's airing on FX and FOX elsewhere.
Old May 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Season one of Copper was really quite good. However, I also later watched Ripper Street and the two are very similar. Maybe they didn't want two such similar shows; does Ripper Street air on BBC One or Three?
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:15 PM   #10
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

BBC One, I didn't see any of it, nor Broadchurch. I've missed loads lately.

BBC Three had Being Human, and it's latest show was In The Flesh, which I think is coming to BBC America soon. Very interesting show, hoping for more.
Old May 13 2013, 11:20 PM   #11
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Orphan Black is probably my favorite show I'm currently watching so far. I just hope they keep this up for Season 2, even though I kind of want them to slow the story down a little. I'm wondering how they are going to keep this pace up.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:57 PM   #12
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^I've wondered that myself. I'm really enjoying it so far but I wonder how long they can possibly sustain this storyline? We shall see, I guess.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

10 episodes per season, it's not hard to pre-plot 5 years.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote