RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,691
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 493
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 13 2013, 03:34 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: "The Alternative Factor" - Why is it so universally hated?

but as poorly done as The Alternative Factor is......at least Shatner isn't on all fours naying like a horse with a midget on his back riding him.
Wasn't the point of that scene humiliation? It it bothers you to see Kirk forced to become a horse for a midget, then it works.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:48 AM   #17
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Average episode in my opinion, but of course that's factoring in all of season 3.
BoredShipCapt'n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:29 AM   #18
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
It's not even fun to watch.
That's just it. This one doesn't even have camp value. At our recent marathon screening it came in last place.

The only things that are noteworthy about are that one shot of the Enterprise from behind and the use of "Romulan Agitato". That was a piece of music composed for "Balance of Terror" but it only ever appears in this episode.
Old May 13 2013, 06:20 AM   #19
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
...Behind the scenes, John Drew Barrymore was originally cast as Lazarus, but on his second day of filming he went to lunch and never came back. He just abandoned the shoot.
I seem to recall reading that he just never showed up. I tried to look it up in Inside Star Trek but the index is incorrect about the page numbers concerning Barrymore.

EDIT: Correction. I found the quote.

HERB: ...the morning he was scheduled to begin work, November 16, 1966, John Drew Barrymore disappeared, ignoring his role, his moral obligation, and his contract. Calls to his home, his agents, his publicist brought us no insight or explanation. They didn't have a clue. The son of the famous John Barrymore had skipped out on Star Trek.

Inside Star Trek
p.201
No mention in that section about Brown having difficulties with the regular cast, just that the show ran a day over schedule.
Robert Brown, who obviously was also a party to these events, remembered it (just) a little differently. I was going by his account. Upon re-reading it (in the Feb 1991 issue of STARLOG), I see Brown was saying that Barrymore went to lunch on his first day and never came back. That's in accord with Justman and Solow. By the time Brown could be brought in to replace Barrymore, the show was about two days behind schedule.

Brown mentions the tensions and personal difficulties he was put through. INSIDE STAR TREK is a great book that I endorse wholeheartedly, but it's not the only source of information.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:33 AM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

From reading the call sheets at UCLA, I recall that Barrymore was a no show on day one. Since Brown wasn't present for events before his last minute hiring, Solow and Justman's account is likely the correct one, especially given the details of the SAG ruling which Justman initiated against Barrymore.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

I've always felt a there are a few more aspects to this shambles of an episode that we've never found out.

Perhaps it was the last minute wholesale script changes that had Barrymore heading for the nearest bar.

For those unaware, Lazarus was set to have a Khan/McGivers style relationship with Masters, but for reasons still unknown, this aspect was excised at the last minute in favour of a scene where Kirk and Spock talk about absolutely nothing for ten minutes in the briefing room, and the infamous multiple cliff dives.

Would love to dig around in those UCLA archives to find out more - Harvey, get back there and do some digging for us
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:02 PM   #22
AtoZ
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
but as poorly done as The Alternative Factor is......at least Shatner isn't on all fours naying like a horse with a midget on his back riding him.
Wasn't the point of that scene humiliation? It it bothers you to see Kirk forced to become a horse for a midget, then it works.

Wrong.

It was foolishness, plain and simple. Another thing, it doesn't so much as "bother" me as it looks ridiculous to the casual fan, and very much it underlines many of the negative things people say and think about Star Trek without giving it a chance on its best foot. It perpetuates that negative misconception, similar to the one about Japanese food being simply "raw fish".

Further, Unlike The Alternative Factor, it comes across as a lazy effort - falling back into the Roman/Greek sets and props already previously overused in the series. The whole interracial kiss is the only thing they had worth hanging a hat on, and even then....
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, it was foolishness, but that was the point -- the Platonians were a decadent culture who got their jollies by forcing people to humiliate themselves with absurd antics. They see it as comedy and fun, but they're violating people in order to make it happen, and that makes it sadistic and cruel. It's that dark, horrific undercurrent beneath the low comedy that makes it potent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:17 PM   #24
mos6507
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, it was foolishness, but that was the point -- the Platonians were a decadent culture who got their jollies by forcing people to humiliate themselves with absurd antics. They see it as comedy and fun, but they're violating people in order to make it happen, and that makes it sadistic and cruel. It's that dark, horrific undercurrent beneath the low comedy that makes it potent.
This is topic drift, but what I like about Plato's Stepchildren is that it is, like you say, a parable about bullying, a topic that is of particular relevance today with school shootings and the like. That society did in fact operate like immature and amoral children.

Also, I found it poignant that the midget, in the end, who was lowest on the pecking order, was the one to finally realize how abusive his society was, and turned around and fought back and won.

It reminds me of Sally Kellerman's final redemption at the end of Where No Man has Gone Before.
Old May 13 2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

About the only problem I had with this episode is that it is impossible, at any given moment (until the very end, when we find ourselves in the antimatter universe) to tell which Lazarus we are looking at. They both act equally nutso.

That being said, I rather like the literary resolution to this episode. I think it might have been a SNW story:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:27 PM   #26
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . Yes, it was foolishness, but that was the point -- the Platonians were a decadent culture who got their jollies by forcing people to humiliate themselves with absurd antics.
Yes, I think we all understood that. But we didn't need to see Kirk and Spock forced to perform degrading antics for 45 goddamn minutes. "Plato's Stepchildren" was another example of barely 30 minutes' worth of story padded out to a full hour.
Old May 13 2013, 09:43 PM   #27
erastus25
Fleet Captain

To add to all the points others have made: TAF is really fucking confusing. Half the time you can't tell which Lazarus is which and the plot is clearly just slapped together.
Old May 13 2013, 09:53 PM   #28
Caligula
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . Yes, it was foolishness, but that was the point -- the Platonians were a decadent culture who got their jollies by forcing people to humiliate themselves with absurd antics.
Yes, I think we all understood that. But we didn't need to see Kirk and Spock forced to perform degrading antics for 45 goddamn minutes. "Plato's Stepchildren" was another example of barely 30 minutes' worth of story padded out to a full hour.
Yeah, "Plato's Stepchildren" is absolute trash. "And the Children Shall Lead" would be another example of an episode I find painful to watch. Just deplorable on every level. "The Alternative Factor," for all its flaws, is still an episode I can get behind. I don't even consider it the weakest Season 1 episode. That dishonor goes to "Operation: Annihilate!" and its fake vomit monsters on strings.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:03 PM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
HERB: ...the morning he was scheduled to begin work, November 16, 1966, John Drew Barrymore disappeared...
...I see Brown was saying that Barrymore went to lunch on his first day and never came back. That's in accord with Justman and Solow.
Which is not "in accord" with Solow's account. Leaving after a morning of shooting isn't the same as "the morning he was scheduled to begin work."
Harvey wrote: View Post
From reading the call sheets at UCLA, I recall that Barrymore was a no show on day one.
Yep.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 12:42 AM   #30
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

AtoZ wrote: View Post
....but as poorly done as The Alternative Factor is......at least Shatner isn't on all fours naying like a horse with a midget on his back riding him.
[sarcasm]Thanks for the reminder![/sarcasm]

Re: The Alternative Factor: the one saving grace is the one-shot role of Lt. Masters (the lovely Janet MacLachlan), portrayed as capable and assertive in a way not seen in Uhura, Rand or Chapel in that season. She would have made a fine addition to the regular cast. Big missed opportunity.

EDIT: another saving grace was the 2nd act exchange between Kirk and Spock. Requests for accurate science be damned there, because they play the estimated threat so seriously/well, that it is a memorable scene of strong effect. They could have been discussing the weather, and the exchange would still work.