RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 395
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13 2013, 02:27 AM   #106
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
I am honestly surprised that some of you guys continue to even watch the show since so many of you dislike episode after episode each week.
My theory is that most of these people watch quite a lot of television, including some shows they don't really enjoy. Me, Doctor Who is the only show I currently watch, so of course the expectations are a bit different.
Old May 13 2013, 02:52 AM   #107
Mr Light
Admiral

It was a good episode but it was no "Doctor's Wife", and it didn't feel terribly Neil Gaiman-y. It was nice to see a proper Cybermen episode (the Cybus ones aren't the classic guys, and they weren't very big in Closing Time or Good Man Goes to War).

I can't believe we're up to the season finale now with almost zero lead up. This was a solid season but I expecting *some* kind of storyarc lead up before now.

And I'm not terribly familiar with old Cybermen episodes, but having the Cyber-Controller be a snarky evil version of the Doctor and not cold and emotionless felt very... off...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:26 AM   #108
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
And I'm not terribly familiar with old Cybermen episodes, but having the Cyber-Controller be a snarky evil version of the Doctor and not cold and emotionless felt very... off...
Cyberleaders, Cybercontroller, etc. have always been very emotional.
Old May 13 2013, 03:36 AM   #109
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

The biggest draw of this episode is watching Matt Smith fight himself. Feels like they could have ditched the kids, the Emperor, and gave Clara a bigger part.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:05 AM   #110
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

For the first time in 2 weeks, I actually enjoyed an episode. Yeah I was still thinking how it sucks they were dragging out this Impossible Girl storyline, but the fight of the minds between the Doctor and the Cyberman was brilliant and Matt Smith did an amazing job with all of that.

I'm looking forward to next week but I almost expect to be disappointed. Maybe I better be careful not to hype up expectations. I did see the prequel thing before hand though, which was ok I guess.
Old May 13 2013, 04:23 AM   #111
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I reckon part 2 of season 7 isn't as good as the first half from what I had read part 2 was going to be good, Clara's didn't have much to do in nightmare in silver, being amy and rory back.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:30 AM   #112
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The whole 'Who is Clara' just mirrors the 'Doctor Who?' question.
I think that's deliberately true.

Anyway, I enjoyed it as an above average episode. The kids were fine, but not great. It's inevitable because they're essentially Clara's family so it's fine to do. Most of the complaints I had were answered in this thread (why wait to blow up the planet - to save the kids).

The Emperor was a cool character and I liked the Doctor's split personality for the most part. The Cybermen waking up almost seemed to evoke Tomb of the Cybermen (they're essentially an extinct civilization until they wake up and kill you). I hope we do not get these super-advanced Cybermen again, though, next time they appear.
Old May 13 2013, 06:40 AM   #113
O'Dib
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
1) The Crimson Horror
2) Nightmare in Silver
3) Bells of Saint John
4) Cold War
5) Journey to the Centre...
6) Hide
777) The Rings of Please No Not a Song.*
1) Cold War
2) Nightmare is Silver
3) Bells of Saint John
4) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
5) The Crimson Horror
6) Hide
7) Rings of the Musical Piece of Crap
1.Journey to the center (ha) of time and space in relative dimensions. I just wrote that wrong. The abbreviation would be pronounced as Taser'd. Which is how I've been feeling about most of this half-season. Numb.
2. Hide
3. Rings of Ankh-Morepork
4. Bells of St. John
5. Nightmare in Silver
6. Cold War
7. Crimson Horror
Old May 13 2013, 10:14 AM   #114
Starkers
Admiral

I gave it a great, but really it was somewhere between average and great, and I’m just feeling charitable today I guess. Just goes to show that a great writer doesn’t always write great. For all the stuff I read beforehand from Gaiman saying he wanted to make the Cybermen scary again, and going on about how much creepier they were when they were quiet, yet essentially we just got a lot of stomping around again.

That said I do prefer the new design, the face is especially creepy, it’s just a shame Gaiman’s felt the need to Borg them up so much. Warwick Davies was great. Tamsin whatsherface was pointless, the kids were annoying and, as people have said, could have been any two kids, they didn’t need to be Clara’s charges. The punishment squad could have been a lot better too and I still can’t quite decide if Smith was great or terrible in this…possibly he was both and neither.

After annoying me last week it was the turn of cool Clara this week (I really do wonder if there’s a Prestige kinda thing going on here!) which means she’ll no doubt annoy me next week.

Perfectly serviceable Who episode, and may well be the best Cyberman episode of the new series…but that isn’t saying much, and given the author…

As for 7B so far, I’d rank them thusly, though really only 1,2 and 7 are fixed. The others might float around a bit depending on my mood. Gatiss owns this half series though!

1. The Crimson Horror
2. Cold War
3. The Bells of St John
4. Nightmare in Silver
5. Hide
6. Journey to the Centre of the Tardis
7. Rings of utter bollocks.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:00 PM   #115
Mr Light
Admiral

1. Rings of Ahkaten
2. Nightmare Silver
3. Bells St John
4. Journey TARDIS
5. Cold War
6. Crimson Horror
7. Hide

Not a single stinker in the bunch, I think. "Hide" was a little mundane but not terrible.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 01:38 PM   #116
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Cyberleaders, Cybercontroller, etc. have always been very emotional.
Especially in the Peter Davison era when they had attitude. "Excellent!"
Old May 13 2013, 01:45 PM   #117
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I really liked the battle between the Doctor and the Cyberplanner instead the Doctor's head. I also really liked the new Cybermen because they were more menacing. No longer, slow, clunky and loud, these Cybermen can sneak up behind you without you knowing it, can adapt instantaneously to your defenses, use their own body parts to ambush you etc. They seemed a lot more clever! I agree the kids were annoying! If I have one gripe about Matt Smith is that he sometimes acts way too childish. He's a 900+ year old Time Lord but acts like a 5 year old with ADD! There were a lot of similarities between the Emperor and the Doctor. Both had to make terrible decisions that wiped out entire civilizations in the fight against a greater evil. This could have been explored more.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 01:55 PM   #118
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I liked it better on second (fully conscious) viewing going from my initial wretched to watchable. Seemed very by-the-numbers, though. Too bad they couldn't have done more with the abandoned theme park setting (budget??). There were some nice ideas here which made the viewing better, the execution of said being a bit haphazard though.

I think speeding up the Cybermen is a bit like fast zombies and being slower and more methodical (though not necesarily more stompy) is more creepy. And the gold, while it has a history, is sillier than ever.

I surprisingly found the most natural performance to be from Warwick Davis which I did not expect. It's kind of annoying how Teflon everyone is to what's going on around them. I didn't have a problem with the kids' acting so much as having them go "Thank you, it was very interesting" after being nearly killed. "See you next Wednesday!" On the other hand, I had a hard time buying the setup last episode for them being there.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:42 PM   #119
Starkers
Admiral

I'd agree, Warwick Davis was great, I'd like to see The Emperor return some day. As someone up thread (Think it might have been Lonemagpie) said, it did feel a bit Warhammerish.

I do wonder if Gaiman's ideas were more expansive than the budget.

The fast Cyberman was interesting (bet a Raston Warrior is still faster) but giving a race a special power then effectively ignoring it thereafter is something of a cheat.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:46 PM   #120
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I do wonder if Gaiman's ideas were more expansive than the budget.
I don't necessarily think Gaiman is necessarily some uber-writer who can do no wrong but I wonder if some of his ideas were let down by the production itself. Was the comical castle meant to be more of a park attraction? Were the kids forced upon him and so on.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote