RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 485
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: For those who've seen movie: Cumberbatch character question [SPOIL

Sikhism is a religion, not a race. Any male baptised into the Sikh religion is given the last name Singh, and any female baptised into the religion gets the last name Kaur: both mean lion (or lioness). And while the vast majority of Sikhs are from India and Pakistan, there are actually gora (white) Sikhs who have converted who are from the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, East Asia, and Latin America.

BTW, if you actually know what a Sikh is, NOT the Star Trek version, there was nothing about Montalban's portrayal that said "He's a Sikh," no uncut hair, no iron bracelet, no sword/dagger, no wooden comb, no special undergarments. . .items that are sacred and must be on a Sikh's person at all times. So making Cumbertbatch Khan (which is probably a title) Singh is not as problematic as some people would have it to be. . .

~FS
Old May 12 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Just for fun:
Old May 12 2013, 09:29 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Matt S wrote: View Post
I am assuming he is supposed to be the same exact (physically) dude as the original series and TWOK?
Yes, even though there's no explanation for why he looks and sounds completely different.

Actually, I'm just realizing that they probably didn't go with a middle-eastern/Indian actor because of the whole terrorist angle. Having the bad guy in this kind of 9/11 allegory look even slightly Arabic might not go over too well with a lot of people.
I think this is the actual reason.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:51 PM   #34
M
Vice Admiral

Here are both of their faces morphed into one ...

Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

I am assuming he is supposed to be the same exact (physically) dude as the original series and TWOK?
Yes, even though there's no explanation for why he looks and sounds completely different.

Actually, I'm just realizing that they probably didn't go with a middle-eastern/Indian actor because of the whole terrorist angle. Having the bad guy in this kind of 9/11 allegory look even slightly Arabic might not go over too well with a lot of people.
I'm going to go ahead and suggest it is the same reason why nobody really looks or sounds like the TOS cast. Probably has something to do with them not being those people.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:26 AM   #36
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post

I'm going to go ahead and suggest it is the same reason why nobody really looks or sounds like the TOS cast. Probably has something to do with them not being those people.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:46 AM   #37
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

FarStrider wrote: View Post
no special undergarments
You peeked?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Carol Marcus now has a British accent too.
My twin cousins did two years of working holiday in London in the early 80s. One returned with an English accent she retains to this day. The other has reverted to regular Aussie accent.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:06 PM   #38
mos6507
Captain

Brandon Routh was a lot like Christopher Reeve in Superman Returns. Wasn't his fault the movie wasn't very good. It's certainly possible to get a closer approximation.
Old May 13 2013, 02:42 PM   #39
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
FarStrider wrote: View Post
no special undergarments
You peeked?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Carol Marcus now has a British accent too.
My twin cousins did two years of working holiday in London in the early 80s. One returned with an English accent she retains to this day. The other has reverted to regular Aussie accent.
Cumberbatch himself said that his pants were so tight that you could almost tell his religion. . . .

~FS
Old May 13 2013, 07:11 PM   #40
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
I already disagreed with you once on this in another thread.... I think his character was as fleshed out as he needed to be, and Cumberbatch did a spectacular job selling it. The man is perfect in all his roles.
And I must disagree again ... :-)

I had hoped that with all the hype leading to the release of this movie, Cumberbatch's character would be some kind of Moriarty to Kirk. Some super intelligent guy that is playing cat and mouse with the Enterprise crew while leading Earth and Starfleet into darkness.
That part fell to Admiral Marcus.
Khan was playing with surprisingly open cards.

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
But he didn't even begin to be anything like that. He had the power to crush other peoples heads and to withstand the stunn setting ... and there was something to the way he spoke, but other than that? Again, this is not Cumberbatch's fault ... I think he did the best he could with what he was given. But the character needed more screentime and more depth!
Which I'm sure he'll be given.
But in this movie Khan, despite being a murdering superhuman madman, was as much a victim of Admiral Marcus' plans as the rest of Starfleet.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:22 AM   #41
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Is the word Augment used in the film? To refer to Khan and his people.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:37 AM   #42
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
I think the Star Trek universe is large enough for khan to be interpreted different ways.
If you reinterpret Khan, then it's a full reboot.
Yep.

So what?

I'm looking forward to seeing Cumberbath's interpretation of the character. In fact, he's really the only reason I'm going to see the movie.
Old May 14 2013, 02:56 AM   #43
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No problem here with a full reboot.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:48 AM   #44
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I'm going to go ahead and suggest it is the same reason why nobody really looks or sounds like the TOS cast.
I dunno, I thought for the most part everybody was a good approximation. Like, they at least didn't cast a British white Uhura.

But hey, it's not like they didn't try for Khan. We know that they tried to get Benicio Del Toro, and I'm sure he would've been passable as having similar looks (and even persona) as Montalban. I'm not sure if that was the best aim, but whatever, what's done is done. They rebooted.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:15 AM   #45
Matt S
Lieutenant

I agree, actors like Karl Urban was in no way SIMILAR TO DeForest Kelly...lol