Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 07:06 PM   #1711
Tom Servo
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
Maybe you should sue...
With real products, you would, wouldn't you?
I've seen you spout off this notion a few times. It's hilarious to think that you think it holds any water whatsoever. I guess we should all sue when the funny bits in trailers for comedies aren't in the actual movie.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #1712
Opus
Commodore

Star Trek's a real product. The advertisers gave the impression for a certain expectation as a movie. Did they follow through to this individual's satisfaction? Was she REALLY "Pretty in Pink"? Was it truly "One Crazy Summer"? Was the "House" actually filled with "Animals"? I think not! Screw 'em!

Yeah...

But me personally? I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm totally looking forward to it!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:19 PM   #1713
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...x-office-91006

STID improves greatly over ST09 INT Box office
Old May 12 2013, 07:25 PM   #1714
RAMA
Vice Admiral

HarryKnowles
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS & ROBOCOP with Peter Weller was the best AICN event ever it feels like right now! Weller is a treasure! Films ruled!
Film Jam-Harry Morgan

http://filmjamblog.com/2013/05/11/st...and-brilliant/

The film runs at a smooth two hours, never once dragged and could easily have gone on longer. JJ manages to navigate the main plot line and juggle all the different small character arcs, while giving us plenty of big blockbustery action. Watching this movie, I couldn’t help myself but wonder about JJ’s next big movie set in space. With Star Trek he has proven he can take a passionately loved franchise, reinvent it and make it accessible for non Trek-Heads (like yours truly) and also give devotees something new. With Star Trek Into Darkness he has upped his game. You could easily switch off and enjoy the romp through space but there are depths to be found thanks, to a good script, great actors and a director on flying form. Plus the fact that he’s not even a fan of the original Star Trek gives me great confidence in his work on a franchise he is obsessed about. For that, however, we will have to venture to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but for now, I have enjoyed every moment of this Trek.

Last edited by Count Zero; May 13 2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: turned quotes into uh.. quotes
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:46 PM   #1715
thumbtack
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...x-office-91006

STID improves greatly over ST09 INT Box office

Awesome! Especially Germany! (which has never much liked Trek movies)

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 12 2013, 09:00 PM   #1716
Opus
Commodore

I can hardly wait to see this movie! I'm buying the soundtrack on Tuesday, and I scored an IMAX 3D "Early-Nerd Special" tic for this Wednesday with some friends!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:26 PM   #1717
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

without spoiling anything do you guys believe that the USS Vengeance Class aka the dreadnought might be put into circulation or do you think it was a one stop shop?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:28 PM   #1718
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^One of a kind, me thinks.
Old May 12 2013, 09:42 PM   #1719
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

pentta wrote: View Post
Perhaps it helps you hipster kids to identify with Kirk by imagining his character as just a regular guy that wild stuff happens to. I guess that makes it easier than realizing his character is just better than you in every way.
Hipster kid? I'm 42 years old.
Old May 12 2013, 09:44 PM   #1720
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Perhaps it helps you hipster kids to identify with Kirk by imagining his character as just a regular guy that wild stuff happens to. I guess that makes it easier than realizing his character is just better than you in every way.
i'm reminded of a movie or tv show can't remember what it was but one of the characters was like "kid? I have a pension."
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:45 PM   #1721
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm only 44 - do I still qualify for the HK Club? Please give me a pass!
Old May 12 2013, 10:36 PM   #1722
StarMan
Vice Admiral

There isn't much middle ground to be had in reactions so far. I'm having difficulty reconciling the praise being heaped on the movie with what I saw. Where I saw superficiality, they saw depth; where they saw a great movie, I saw a wasted opportunity. I'm tempted to wonder if they've put two different cuts into circulation.

Ok, so help me out here. For those of you who loved it, where did it hook you? Thinking back, I was engaged from the get go. The Niribu scene with The Enterprise rising out of the ocean was frelling awesome. Then we went through to Kirk's demotion - great. Then IIRC the bar scene... okay ... then, the scene with Kirk and Spock and the quibbling over how to address Kirk (before the big meeting and Harrison's assault). I reckon it's about there that I started to drift out. There was a bit of a lag, but I thought they were taking the foot off the pedal briefly before we got to the real meat of the story. Alas, it never got there for me.
Old May 12 2013, 10:42 PM   #1723
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

I saw the film on Thursday here in the uk upon release.

I enjoyed it lots, but like anyone here, I have my gripes and affections that wil be discussed here eventually, I just can't face writing an epically long reveiw.

The opening 15 mins, enterprise mission rising out of the ocean, loved it. Kirks bollocking by Pike cracked me up, Nabiru's on the verge of inventing the wheel and thy see a hulking mother fracking star ship rise out of the water. Classic.

Cumberbatch was Khan, wasn't surprised. Part of me wishes that, although it was a fantastic retelling, it was an original villain. Still loved it though.

So, who liked the new sets? Silly question, I know, but if its a repeat question I apologise.

They had the brig obviously and and a new multi level type intersection which I assume runs through the centre of the saucer given the amount of levels. Funny thing is, it reminded me of a shopping mall. Lol. Off world duty free.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:42 PM   #1724
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I said it before, but I love the new warp core.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:55 PM   #1725
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

But the reboot is also a reboot of the characters' characters. Fine, make everyone in nuTrek super sensitive and in touch with their feelings - make Vulcans cry, but stop pretending these characters are even similar to the original characters, beyond their names.
All of us are products of our upbringings. Since this Kirk had a very different upbringing, he will have different attitudes.

So what?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote