RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 870
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 04:44 PM   #91
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Cybermen have always been crap, barely surviving their encounters with the Doctor, defeated again and again. Survival has always been the Cybermen's recurring theme.

Also: a base under siege scenario. I'd say it was an intentional homage to the second Doctor, and even if it wasn't, I'll just pretend it is.

The kids, though, were completely useless, which is a pity because I was actually looking forward to seeing them.
Old May 12 2013, 05:00 PM   #92
diankra
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
OK, I think my current season poll would probaly run something like...
1) The Crimson Horror
2) Nightmare in Silver
3) Bells of Saint John
4) Cold War
5) Journey to the Centre...
6) Hide
777) The Rings of Please No Not a Song.*

*Sorry, just can't be bothered to check the right spelling, so went with a lame jibe.
You've got to be kidding. Crimson was terrible. A little funny in places and I found that parasite thingy surprisingly cute, but other than that, awful. Plus I hate the stupid Sontaran Silurian lesbian trio. My rating for Series 7 Pt2 would go like this:

1) Cold War
2) Nightmare is Silver
3) Bells of Saint John
4) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
5) The Crimson Horror
6) Hide
7) Rings of the Musical Piece of Crap

Bare in mind though I only liked Cold War, Nightmare in Silver and Bells of Saint John. After that it was just the best of a bad situation.
Actually, we're not far off agreement, seeing as Cold War was a very close runner up for fourth or third place for me, apart from my liking Crimson Horror while you couldn't stand it. Apart from that we're in the same ball park for most of them...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:01 PM   #93
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Cybermen have always been crap, barely surviving their encounters with the Doctor, defeated again and again. Survival has always been the Cybermen's recurring theme.

Also: a base under siege scenario. I'd say it was an intentional homage to the second Doctor, and even if it wasn't, I'll just pretend it is.

The kids, though, were completely useless, which is a pity because I was actually looking forward to seeing them.

^ This is what annoyed me.

I was really looking forward to seeing a second Gaiman episode and, for the most part, I enjoyed it until it turned into a run-of-the-mill base under siege story. Smith was mostly good and Warwick Davis was outstanding. I didn't think much of Mel Owen, the ginger kid from Skins or that James Corden tribute act. As others have said, the whole "punishment platoon" was a wasted concept.

I couldn't help but feel this episode had a greater degree of Moffat interfering, particularly given its place in the season. The images of the previous Doctors showing up is surely an allusion to the finale so the younger kids understand the Doctor's past.

I might change my mind on a second viewing, but this episode fell far short of The Doctor's Wife.
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:49 PM   #94
Ghost Bones
Captain

A base under siege for about 2 minutes while the Cybermen marched a few metres very slowly up to the enemy, rather than finishing things quickly because the plot required them to fall down like Anakin had blown up their droid control ship.
Old May 12 2013, 07:17 PM   #95
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
So instead of cybermats we have cyber-roaches?
I thought "cybergnats" was a shoo-in.
I thought The Doctor said "Cybermites" but either one works.
He did, I was just suggesting cybergnats as a play on cybermats. Cybermite is a visual play, I was making an aural pun. I did think MS might say that before he said mite.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:53 PM   #96
MickJo1701
Commander

Not as good as The Doctors Wife but still very enjoyable. The Doctor/Cyber Planner battle of the minds was brilliant.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:02 PM   #97
Stoo
Captain

Was a decent ep overall but a bit disappointing. Maybe just because my expectations were too high.

I wasn't keen on all that "battle for teh Doctor's brain" stuff, it felt like just an excuse for Smith to crank up the over-acting. I wanted more cybermen and less of him whirling on the spot yelling at himself. The cyber-controller persona should have been more cold and calculating.

The bullet-time Cyberman was a great holy-shit!! moment, but if they'd all been able to do that our heroes would have gotten wiped out so the ability gets forgotten. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the cybermen are too purely robotic (tho this has been the case all along since 2006). We've kind of lost that horrific aspect to them, of a human body violated by machinery. I do like their new sleek look, there should just be more scraps of human left under the shell.

Kids didn't contribute much but at least that meant they didn't get too annoying.

Warwick Davis was brilliant, definitely one of the episode's greatest strengths.

I would say it's better than the last few episodes to feature cybermen. (really didn't think much to that one with James Cordon)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:41 PM   #98
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I've been thinking about the hyper-speed Cyberman moment and had a thought: The Cyberman don't seem to apply more force than needed at any given moment. That is to say, overkill isn't their thing. That particular Cyberman might have noticed he was badly outnumbered, and while he still probably had the advantage, now might be a good time to use that. Later on once the tomb had been woken up I imagine they figured that fast or slow they were going to mow down the human resistance.
Old May 12 2013, 10:17 PM   #99
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I can only hope that at some future point we get an Emperor(Davis) featured episode. I enjoyed this one well enough but mostly for Davis.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:36 PM   #100
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd rank this series so far:

1) Cold War
2) The Crimson Horror
3) The Bells of St. John
5) Rings of Underrated
6) Hide
7) Nightmare in Silver

Enjoyed 'em all though to some extent. Just odd that Mark Gatiss has kicked arse while Neil fucking Gaiman delivers the weakest offering.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:15 PM   #101
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
It seemed like only that one Cyberman had the weird abilities, or at least it's the only one that used them, no?
I think it was, but since it was the first one of the new design, it was obviously meant to represent what they could all do.

And I do like the new abilities - albeit mainly cos they're ones I've often said before that they should have. (I've said many times since the days of rec.arts that if they're supposed to be so superior, they should be faster than a sprinter, more agile than Bruce Lee, etc - and that the Cybes themselves should logically be more like the Raston Warrior Robot)
That one was probably the Beta version.

Hopefully not a (Lancia) Beta Cyberman, or they won't have much to worry about, just wait for it to fall apart.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:19 PM   #102
SeerSGB
Admiral

Cybermen = Okay, I guess. I like the new Cybermites, and the redesigned elements looked okay. But overall, they just didn't feel menacing.

Kids = Thumbs down. The daughter was especially annoying

Clara = Meh. She really didn't do much

Emperor = Knew it from the minute we saw who it ended up being

Story = Meh. Could have been good or better, the kids really dragged it down.

Doctor = Brillant. Matt Smith's "dueling Doctors" is the only thing that keep the episode out of the shitter for me.
Old May 13 2013, 12:58 AM   #103
Procutus
Admiral

I watched about 20 minutes and bailed. Definitely not the best ep in this series; in truth, I think it's been lacking ever since Amy and Rory left in Ep 5.

I'll watch the finale, only out of morbid curiousity to see if the expectation is greater than the event.
Old May 13 2013, 01:12 AM   #104
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'd rank this series so far:

1) Cold War
2) The Crimson Horror
3) The Bells of St. John
5) Rings of Underrated
6) Hide
7) Nightmare in Silver

Enjoyed 'em all though to some extent. Just odd that Mark Gatiss has kicked arse while Neil fucking Gaiman delivers the weakest offering.
Agreed. Though, I would put "Hide" closer to the top.

The Cybermen were as lame as ever. If even Neil Gaiman can't make them scary or interesting, perhaps it's time to finally retire them.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:02 AM   #105
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I am honestly surprised that some of you guys continue to even watch the show since so many of you dislike episode after episode each week.

Granted I have only been watching the show since 2005, but it has never been high art. It's always been zany, silly, filled with plot holes, aimed at children more than adults (this includes the Classic episodes I've seen), a popcorny sense of adventure only occasionally punctuated by heroic moments. Most of the time it's meant to be fun, not especially thought provoking; the rich mythology has always been portrayed as secondary to me.

From some of the sour criticisms in each of these threads it makes me think that a guy going around the universe in a police box is meant to be the second coming of Shakespeare or something. Complaining about the new Cybermen? Really? The old design from the Classic series looks like one of those "ancient astronaut" cave drawings...guys in suits falling over each other and ripping open cardboard walls. How frightening!

I'm thankful the show is even on and is produced slickly and at a high level by people who are passionate about what they do, and GOOD at what they do. I have my criticisms of Moffat just as I did of RTD, but honestly they know what they're doing. I shudder to think what the show would be like if it was turned over to a bunch of disgruntled fans.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote