RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 591
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2013, 12:47 AM   #31
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: David Gerrold's The Star Wolf

Plenty can go wrong with that rich foreign backer approach, which is why nearly 40 years later we don't have Orson Welles' final film, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND.

The Shah of Iran helped finance it ... things sort of went bad for him if you recall ... serious legal quagmire results ...and Welles' surviving associates spend decades trying to untangle these issues.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:03 AM   #32
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Gerrold is a gifted writer, and I read and enjoyed pretty much all of the SW material over the years. I do wonder whether the time to bring SW to the screen has passed - the "anti-TNG" styled space opera, which is what SW was really meant to be, has already been done, by B5, nuBSG and even, to a lesser extent, DS9. It wouldn't be nearly as fresh today as it might have been if it were done, say, in the '90s.

That said, there's so little space opera on screen today that I'd still love to see it.
Old May 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #33
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Gerrold, Melinda Snodgrass and Fontana have all expressed their interest at separate times in doing stuff in what I guess you'd now call the FIREFLY mode (for myself I thought of it as AntiTrek, though Snodgrass' Hans Solo meets the Nostromo line really fits well) ... that's really what I'd prefer to see rather than another military-based show. but hey, beggars can't be choosers ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:59 PM   #34
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^
Well even though Star Wolf is a military vessel, the crew is largely a bunch of misfits that probably wouldn't make-it on a spit-shined ship like the Enterprise or the like.
Old May 9 2013, 01:56 AM   #35
Maurice
Vice Admiral

At 24% of the way through their funding period (8 days out of 33) and they've raised 6.1% of their goal. They're going to have to do something to raise interest and drive traffic to Kickstarter because the average of contributions per day to date is <1% (.76% per day average). If that remains constant they're only going to get to 25% of their goal (~$169,615K) before time runs out.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:33 AM   #36
Maurice
Vice Admiral

1/3rd of the way through and under 7% of the total, so it's not looking good.
Old May 12 2013, 07:32 AM   #37
Valin
Rear Admiral

Maybe they should get Kristen Bell to commit to being in the cast. Then they'd raise the necessary money!
Old May 12 2013, 09:17 AM   #38
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I wonder if the controversy surrounding Star Command has made people leery-- or maybe Star Command just used up most of the available money that the audience had to commit.
Old May 12 2013, 01:29 PM   #39
xortex
Commodore

The star Command people want their money back so they can give it to Star Wolf which is a better name, don't you think? Plus they got rid of doug Drexler (Mr. star Trek) so they breached their bargain and agreement thus boiling them in hot oil is not out of the question. Gerrold should ask Drexler to join his team but I think he is even more full of himself than zicree was and that is saying something. Berman's ego is starting to look tame.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 03:43 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I wonder if the controversy surrounding Star Command has made people leery-- or maybe Star Command just used up most of the available money that the audience had to commit.
What controversy?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:19 PM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

Doug Drexler didn't like the direction Zicree was taking the project and left it, IIRC.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:00 PM   #42
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
Gerrold should ask Drexler to join his team...
Drexler did have some Star Wolf pre-production artwork he'd done posted on his blog at one point.

Here's a link: http://franksavage918.wordpress.com/...olds-starwolf/

Pretty spiffy stuff, IMO.
Old May 12 2013, 08:10 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Zicree's show is Space Command, not Star Command.

Word is that Doug left because Zicree changed directions from what they were pitching (50s inspired Wally Wood look show) to something different than they had agreed on.

I've seen a work-in-progress script for the pilot episode, and that draft was rubbish. It's more Flash Gordon than anything (evil Emperor, his hot daughter who turns traitor to help the hero, etc.).

Back to Star Wolf, I suspect part of the problem is that their pitch video is weak. It's not compelling. As with Drexler's sketches posted by Mysterion, there were also Andy Probert sketches for the earlier proposed Star Hunt version. They should have gotten permission to use those in the pitch and, oh, maybe actually could have told us something about the story. Talking heads saying it's going to "kick ass" is pretty poor marketing.

Last edited by Maurice; May 12 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 12 2013, 09:51 PM   #44
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

xortex wrote: View Post
The star Command people want their money back so they can give it to Star Wolf which is a better name, don't you think?
No, I think Star Wolf is pretty silly, to tell the truth.

Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
What controversy?
As mentioned, the departure of Doug Drexler because of an alleged change in direction; also, some think that Zicree is overextending himself by pursuing multiple scripts at once instead of focusing on one.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Zicree's show is Space Command, not Star Command.
Oops, you're right.

I've seen a work-in-progress script for the pilot episode, and that draft was rubbish. It's more Flash Gordon than anything (evil Emperor, his hot daughter who turns traitor to help the hero, etc.).
Ah, well. I like Flash Gordon. Is that draft available, or do you just know someone?

Back to Star Wolf, I suspect part of the problem is that their pitch video is weak.
Yeah, I completely agree. As I said, it turned me off more than it turned me on.
Old May 12 2013, 10:03 PM   #45
xortex
Commodore

I said I think Star Wolf is a better name than Space Command which sounds a little like Space Cases and seems like it is going to be pessimistic and dark like BG and 1920's sci-fi pulp where Star Wolf sounds a little more optomistic and hip and Trek like at least though I hope it's very different and more realistic than SC but more aesthetically pleasing at the same time.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote