Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.35%
A 161 21.64%
A- 100 13.44%
B+ 82 11.02%
B 58 7.80%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.84%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 04:22 PM   #1681
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

trevanian wrote: View Post
I imagine TheAbramsBunch weren't too concerned about this kind of thing though. Probably a little less important than determining ship size accurately.
Funny since the stripes correspond to the ranks they were in TOS.
Old May 12 2013, 04:25 PM   #1682
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I think Trek is pretty popular in the UK, I remember it used to be on BBC2 after the kids programs had ended and thats how I got into DS9 and TNG.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:38 PM   #1683
pentta
Cadet

Kirk to Sybok in STV: "I'm afraid of nothing."
Kirk to Spock in STID: "I'm afraid. (of dying)".

Which is it? What Kirk said to Sybok wasn't a bit of throwaway dialogue, it was an underline of his character. Kirk has never been afraid of anything. Even when Kirk died the first time, his last words to Picard was, "It was... fun.". But the reboot is also a reboot of the characters' characters. Fine, make everyone in nuTrek super sensitive and in touch with their feelings - make Vulcans cry, but stop pretending these characters are even similar to the original characters, beyond their names.

Ever since the last film, this has become Star Trek Troopers. The kids love it, and that's why you see so many positive reviews. It's a wonderfully executed action space fantasy film in a Trek wrapper, but it's not Star Trek. Star Trek was never cool. And Kirk is a risk taker, not a thrill seeker.

And the nuEnterprise is stupidly large. I won't even go into it.
pentta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:39 PM   #1684
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Last night, BBC2 in England aired "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from the mid-1990's which did it's very best to paint Trek fans as complete freaks. Nichelle Nicols sang a lot. They recycled parts of Trekkies (the woman who went to jury duty in her TNG uniform, the guys dressing as Klingons). A girl read her K/S slash fanfic. If the film flops here (and I saw it with a grand total of 14 other people on opening day), blame them.
I watched it too. Couldn't believe that given everything good they could have covered about Trek they had to go the cliché 'look at the most dedicated fans' route. Didn't help that it was such old footage, it must be around 20 years old.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:49 PM   #1685
BillJ
Admiral

pentta wrote: View Post
And Kirk is a risk taker, not a thrill seeker.
Orbital skydiving from the Generations deleted scenes. Climbing El Capitan in Star Trek V without safety equipment.
Old May 12 2013, 04:53 PM   #1686
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Kirk to Sybok in STV: "I'm afraid of nothing."
Kirk to Spock in STID: "I'm afraid. (of dying)".

Which is it? What Kirk said to Sybok wasn't a bit of throwaway dialogue, it was an underline of his character....

Because obviously people in their 20s have exactly the same experiences, the same outlook on life and the same characters as in their 50s.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:54 PM   #1687
BillJ
Admiral

I sometimes wonder if the folks who claim certain things never happened pre-Abrams ever actually watched Trek at all?
Old May 12 2013, 04:54 PM   #1688
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Orbital skydiving from the Generations deleted scenes. Climbing El Capitan in Star Trek V without safety equipment.
Flying shields down up alongside a Miranda class cruiser as soon as she raises her shields.

How many died that time?

You're right, he's not a thrill seeker, at times he's an idiot, said so himself.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:54 PM   #1689
ROBE
Commander

The Motion Picture used the same rank stripes as TOS except they gave ensigns the single broken stripe of lieutenant junior grade, this rank seems to have been dropped as it was rarely used in TOS.
So you could finally tell officers from ratings.
Enlisted chiefs like Rand were given hollow squares on their shoulders.
From TWOK all ratings and officers had rate and rank insignia.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:01 PM   #1690
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
sadsquid wrote: View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch was awesome!
He was, but he didn't have enough time to flesh out the character and to show the audience how dangerous he really is. I think they did this a lot better in The Dark Night. The Joker came across as truly menacing, while nuKhan didn't even begin to show his potential. Wasted opportunity!

I think this movie just screams for an extended cut!
I would love an extended cut, but I don't agree at all with what you said. Not to badmouth Heath Ledger's performance, or anything, but seriously, The Dark Knight is, imo, totally overrated, and the Joker right along with it. His motivation is pretty sketchy, and in no way is he fleshed out more than Harrison/Khan. That, I believe, is a matter of perspective.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:09 PM   #1691
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
sadsquid wrote: View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch was awesome!
He was, but he didn't have enough time to flesh out the character and to show the audience how dangerous he really is. I think they did this a lot better in The Dark Night. The Joker came across as truly menacing, while nuKhan didn't even begin to show his potential. Wasted opportunity!

I think this movie just screams for an extended cut!
I would love an extended cut, but I don't agree at all with what you said. Not to badmouth Heath Ledger's performance, or anything, but seriously, The Dark Knight is, imo, totally overrated, and the Joker right along with it. His motivation is pretty sketchy, and in no way is he fleshed out more than Harrison/Khan. That, I believe, is a matter of perspective.
Apples and Oranges. The Joker and TDK was supposed to be sketchy. He has no origin, no clear motivation, he's just there, a chaotic force of nature. Bruce Wayne learned that all criminals are simple to understand. The Joker was supposed to be impossible to understand.

Last edited by JarodRussell; May 12 2013 at 05:21 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:16 PM   #1692
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Flying shields down up alongside a Miranda class cruiser as soon as she raises her shields.

How many died that time?

You're right, he's not a thrill seeker, at times he's an idiot, said so himself.
-- Keeping his shields down when the Reliant was approaching under suspicious circumtances in TWOK.
-- Stubborning insisting on going to warp even though Scotty was dubious they should in TMP. The result was the wormhole.
-- Target-fixating on Nero's dying ship to the point he put his own ship in danger.
-- He didn't call himself a fool, but in TUC he did say he was a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread.

If anything, Kirk suffered from hubris. Too confident.
Old May 12 2013, 05:29 PM   #1693
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Maybe the Joker wasn't more fleshed out, but he had the chance to show what he's capable of. He came across as a deadly threat, while nuKhan was nothing like that. He just wasn't menacing enough!
Old May 12 2013, 05:31 PM   #1694
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Maybe the Joker wasn't more fleshed out, but he had the chance to show what he's capable of. He came across as a deadly threat, while nuKhan was nothing like that. He just wasn't menacing enough!
And if you take away Benedicts Cumberbatch's voice in the monologues, what awesomesauce is really left in the character?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:00 PM   #1695
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Seriously? I loved everything he did, starting with wrecking half of London and then kicking the crap out of the Klingons.

It's a matter of opinion. I think the Joker is kind of overrated.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote