Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Earth will fall [SPOILERS]

Was going to post in my thread that was having an interesting debate but seems to have been lobotomised.

So starting a whole new thread for what is a small comment, sorry.

But following on from the discussion about it being overplayed in promotional materials, I couldn't help but see the poster again today (well I do live opposite a cinema) and the title is "EARTH WILL FALL".

Did it ever fall? Did it even come close?
Old May 12 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Re: Earth will fall

Old May 12 2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Oso Blanco
Commodore

It never even came close to falling. The movie had absolutely nothing to do with Earth falling or even Darkness, for that matter. The whole promotion of the movie was completely misleading, I guess that's why the film itself felt like a major letdown to me.
Old May 12 2013, 01:09 PM   #4
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
It never even came close to falling. The movie had absolutely nothing to do with Earth falling or even Darkness, for that matter. The whole promotion of the movie was completely misleading, I guess that's why the film itself felt like a major letdown to me.
Erm, yes it did....but you probably missed it as it wasn't signposted with 'splosions. The falling into darkness is summed up quite nicely in the above spoiler tags
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Oso Blanco
Commodore

What?
Old May 12 2013, 02:15 PM   #6
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I think it was Khan's intention for Earth to fall. But he really didn't get close thanks to Kirk and the Enterprise crew.
I think if he got control of an undamaged ship and his crew back and destroyed the Enterprise then things might have been different. Was it Cumberbatch that said 'Earth Will Fall'?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Jax
Admiral

Earth will fall because Starfleet was in the middle of a coup d'Útat and no one knew it. Also Kahn could of easily started a new Eugenics war if he got his crew free and started making more super humans.
Old May 12 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
Earth will fall because Starfleet was in the middle of a coup d'Útat and no one knew it.
That was not the first time a Starfleet Admiral is playing his own game. Overused theme and hardly counting as "Earth falling".

Jax wrote: View Post
Also Kahn could of easily started a new Eugenics war if he got his crew free and started making more super humans.
That possibility wasn't even hinted at in the movie. If he and his augments really had been about to take over Earth at the end of the movie, that would truly have led Earth "into darkness". Would have made a nice cliffhanger as well.

To put it simple: Earth has never been in danger in STID, apart from the bombing in London (which was only one building) and the Vengeance crashing into San Francisco, which strangely enough didn't seem to be a big deal in the movie.
Old May 12 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Oso,

Another poster in another thread mentioned that the film set up the idea early about the danger of a warp core radiating earth, but that it was ignored after the big end crash. Did that seem to you like something that was left foolishly dangling?

I ask because I've read the end takes place well after this sequence, so you'd figure Frisco would be glowing or the bay would be leaking down into China if there really was a major accident happening (which also show why you shouldn't build starships at the base of a gravity well, but I digress.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Oso Blanco
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
Oso,

Another poster in another thread mentioned that the film set up the idea early about the danger of a warp core radiating earth, but that it was ignored after the big end crash. Did that seem to you like something that was left foolishly dangling?

I ask because I've read the end takes place well after this sequence, so you'd figure Frisco would be glowing or the bay would be leaking down into China if there really was a major accident happening (which also show why you shouldn't build starships at the base of a gravity well, but I digress.)
The idea that the Vengeance could radiate San Francisco with it's warp core has never been brought up in the movie, and when the ship crashed into the city it did nothing but destroy some buildings. Which of course still means ten thousands of death victims, but the movie ignored that completely.

However, that was just one brief scene that by no means justifies a tagline such as "Earth will fall".
Old May 12 2013, 06:57 PM   #11
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Earth will fall [SPOILERS]

I haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe it is more metaphorical. It sounds like the Federation's and Starfleet's principles are what fell.

-Chris
Old May 12 2013, 06:58 PM   #12
trevanian
Rear Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe it is more metaphorical. It sounds like the Federation's and Starfleet's principles are what fell.

-Chris
WINNER! (accompanied by everything that happens when you get three cherries on a slot machine.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Oso Blanco
Commodore

cbspock wrote: View Post
nuTrek is not exactly known for its subtlety, so no ... I don't think that's it.
Old May 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #14
ROBE
Commander

The Dreadnaught's crash into San Francisco was very much a controlled crash, Khan seemed to be hedging his bets.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

SPOILERS:
Earth will fall because, despite there being a space battle only 200,000 Km away, Starfleet security took no action to intervene. Earth will fall because, despite having a defence grid (mentioned in ST09 but also seen in TMP) nobody bothers to activate it to stop a ship with only one life sign on board from hitting a city and killing thousands of people. Earth will fall because people that stupid deserve everything they get.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote