Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 11 2013, 07:54 AM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Well, THIS makes me feel old...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
I felt old when I discovered my grocery store was playing Billy Idol as background music. Billy Idol as grocery store music? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I'm old.
Was it Cradle of Love?

No, it was White Wedding. *hangs head in dismay*
Old May 11 2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Australis
Writer

I am 1/3 of the way through my life and I have nothing figured out yet. I still feel like a teenager.
Yeah, except it's 2/3 through for me.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I told this same story in another thread recently, but what the heck:

Not long ago, a friend was raving about his favorite James Garner comedy. "Sounds like a fun old movie," I replied. "I'll have to keep an eye out for it on TCM."

"It's not an old movie!" he protested indignantly. "It's in color and everything!"

"It came out in the sixties, right? That was over fifty years ago. It's an old movie."

"Oh, God, you're right . . . ."
Old May 11 2013, 04:46 PM   #19
jayceee
Commander

I was watching Beavis and Butthead earlier.

It just dawned on me that it was from 20 years ago.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:52 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

It seems as if time is speeding up. And yet somethings don't change.
Take the 1951 movie THE THING. It took nearly 30 years for Carpenter to do a remake in 1982.

Yet it has been almost 30 years from Carpenter's remake to the 2011 prequel!

More changed from 1951-1982 than 1982-2011.

Each decade in the past seems to have had its own theme. The roaring twenties...the sixties, that 70's show, the 1980s/MTV, etc.

That seems to be gone--it's all a splage now.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:29 PM   #21
jayceee
Commander

publiusr wrote: View Post
Each decade in the past seems to have had its own theme. The roaring twenties...the sixties, that 70's show, the 1980s/MTV, etc.

Could this mean that it is difficult to tell the difference between music from the 2000's and music from the 2010's?

(I'm completely out of loop with music).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:11 PM   #22
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Justin Bieber-Free=most of the 00's?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:39 PM   #23
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
It seems as if time is speeding up. And yet somethings don't change.
Take the 1951 movie THE THING. It took nearly 30 years for Carpenter to do a remake in 1982.

Yet it has been almost 30 years from Carpenter's remake to the 2011 prequel!

More changed from 1951-1982 than 1982-2011.

I think it was mentioned up thread. While the 1960s was a time of achievement in art, we are in a post-modern society where the definition of art has been redefined to the point that finger painting and singing in the shower can qualify as art now. And we have the equipment to record these efforts (Instgram, Youtube, cellphones, etc). So culture has gone to the masses and they often imitate what they can. So we are left to re-tread on what has already come before us. So the 1990s were about the 1960s (remember the tie-dye craze?), the 2000s were about latino culture and the 1970s (That 70s show?). The 2010s have been about re-imagining the 1980s. From music like Lady Gaga and Rihanna re-defines new age. Our movies focus around great-american heroes like Superman, Batman, and geek, computer culture.

What happens when someone re-imagines the 1990s in 10 years? It will be the 1960s all over again! See what I am saying?

We have had many advancements in cultural achievements from women in the workplace (late 1970s-1990s), end of segregation (1960s and 1970s) and when things like this come along, it usually comes with a lot of art.

What have we done in the past 20 years? Terrorism where we welcome a police state and mistrust our government (conspiracy theories) and gay rights. That's about it. We started to talk about a latino America, but that hasn't materialized in mainstream America, past some window-dressing. Art is constantly under attack by what is "obscene" and re-defining right and wrong. Therefore, we rely on what's acceptable, causing us to re-hash the old days. How many more years of superhero movies can we really have? Nobody does anything new anymore and it doesn't resonate with an audience when they do.

Clothes can't get any tighter without looking like strippers. Something functionally "green" should replace our appliances and how we use power, how we drive cars. And that will cause us to redefine what is acceptable in art. But until that day comes, we will look back with nostalgia about what came before us, including things like the future flying cars and so on.

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble, but I think the point has come across--we are in a time-loop of nostalgia and until we have someone change our way of life (war, famine, economic collapse, increased rights in the workplace, etc) we will be stuck here. We have to open our minds beyond what we went to as children.

Last edited by HaventGotALife; May 11 2013 at 11:52 PM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:37 AM   #24
Velocity
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Having a TOTAL RECALL remake appear is also a major blow.
For me, that goes for any remake of a 1980s movie -- and there are a shitload of 'em.
Get used to it. I grew up in the sixties. I've been living this for ages now.
Oh yeah. I'm 60, but in my head, I don't feel nearly that old until something like this reminds me how much I've lived.
Old May 12 2013, 08:01 AM   #25
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

I remember when comic books only cost twelve cents . . ..
Remember when a comic book and a fudgesicle was ten cents? Enjoy the ride.
Old May 12 2013, 08:36 AM   #26
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I think part of it is the speed at which technology and communication evolves. I am only 33, but the mindset between myself and someone who is only 23 is like the difference between standing on Earth and standing on the Moon. I'm a tech geek, so I stay on top of technology as best as I can, but the way that people a decade younger than myself use it is just fascinating. The bond between technology and this coming generation is almost inseparable, and the technology has only been around a scant few years.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:45 AM   #27
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I think part of it is the speed at which technology and communication evolves. I am only 33, but the mindset between myself and someone who is only 23 is like the difference between standing on Earth and standing on the Moon. I'm a tech geek, so I stay on top of technology as best as I can, but the way that people a decade younger than myself use it is just fascinating. The bond between technology and this coming generation is almost inseparable, and the technology has only been around a scant few years.
In another ten years the same thing will be happening to them. Then, we'll let you on the porch to tell the younguns to get off the lawn.
Old May 12 2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
I remember when comic books only cost twelve cents . . ..
Remember when a comic book and a fudgesicle was ten cents? Enjoy the ride.
Ten-cent comics were slightly before my time. I remember them being twelve cents, then fifteen.

And, yeah, it's the rapid changes in technology that sometimes leave me feeling like a dinosaur.I learned to type on a manual typewriter and the only computer education I received in school involved cutting out punchcards with scissors.

Heck, when if first started out in publishing, back in the late eighties,all the editors and assistants still used typewriters, and editing was still done with a red pencil and post-its. And manuscripts arrived in the mail, not over the internet . . . .

(I have to admit that I don't miss White-out and correction tape.)
Old May 12 2013, 02:07 PM   #29
stj
Rear Admiral

The ever increasing number of dead people in movies and television vs. the decreasing distinguishability of the young acotrs.
Old May 12 2013, 02:27 PM   #30
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

stj wrote: View Post
The ever increasing number of dead people in movies and television vs. the decreasing distinguishability of the young acotrs.
This.

Is Kristin Stewart in every movie? Who is Amy Adams?