RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 737
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 11:01 AM   #76
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Hm. I loved the new Cybermen (the Design) and the way they moved. The kids... If they'd died I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. The Doctor/CyberDoctor stuff was awesome and actually made sense. Clara... well, I just don't love her as much as I thought I would after Asylum of the Daleks. Next week has a lot to live up to to tell us who or what she is. Also looking forward to seeing River.
Old May 12 2013, 11:33 AM   #77
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Last week was a waste of Diana Rigg. This week was just a waste.

This part of the season is boring me every bit as much as RTD / Tennant Who did, and the only reason I'm looking forward to next week's ep is the fact it's the last one.

I'd really enjoyed Moffat's version of the show but this part-season has been a real letdown. Such is life.
Old May 12 2013, 12:20 PM   #78
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Wasn't that bad, the kids didn't irritate me as much as I was fearing, barely registered them actually. The Cybermen were OK being brought back but they aren't as much engaging villains as they are a threat that results in high body counts. Matt Smith's acting for two was easily the best part.

Only The Crimson Horror has really stood out for me from 7B, everything else has been comparatively average so far.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:53 PM   #79
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'm honestly still not sure how I feel about this one.

The kids were annoying, as was the golden ticket stuff, and the platoon were crap (was the fat one Sam from Game Of Thrones, or not?) and the Cyberplanner's motivations wandered from the logical by quite a bit. And the "who is Clara" attempt at an arc is just increasingly annoying, doubly so as when they leave it alone she's a fucking great companion.

On the good side, the new Cybes were impressive, their abilities mostly improvements (I actually pitched fast Raston-like Cybes in 1994, for what eventually changed monsters and became the Sontaran story Lords of The Storm), though the detachable parts reminded me most of Kryten in the Terrorform episode of Red Dwarf), and Warwick Davis was good.

Somewhere in between... Matt Smith didn't fall victim to McIntee's First Law of acting, but didn't quite manage to avert it as fully as could have been hoped, and overall it really, *really* felt more like a Trek/Borg mini-movie than a Dr Who/Cybermen one. It's more like what the Assimilation comic series should have been, really... All the terminology was very W40K as well, but none of the imagery was, which is weird.

So, I want to say I loved it for the, well, upgraded, Cybermen, allusions to classic storytelling, and Warwick Davis, but can't because of the kids/golden ticket/Cyberplanner emotionality/weird anti-W40K WTFery. OTOH, I want to say I didn't like it because of the kids/golden ticket/Cyberplanner emotionality/weird anti-W40K WTFery, but can't because of the upgraded Cybermen, allusions to classic storytelling, and Warwick Davis.

So, really, I don't know what the fuck.

I gather it's been splitting fandom, with half the people going one way, and the other half the other way, but I'm feeling that split entirely in my own head - just like what was going on in the Doctor's head in it. It'd be nice to think that was a deliberate evocation, but it isn't. Argh.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:08 PM   #80
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Enjoyable episode but not an instant classic like "The Doctor's Wife," which is a bit disappointing for this Gaiman fan, although I have a feeling I need to watch this episode again.

The Doctor vs. Cyber-Doctor scenes were wonderfully written, directed and acted (although it seems I missed all of The Doctor impressions sans The Tenth). The redesigned Cybermen and Cybermats were wonderful, loved how they barely spoke (but no "Delete!" or "Excellent!"), and I look forward to seeing them again.

Warwick Davis would have stolen the show if Matt Smith wasn't supremely excellent. Unfortunately, Angie was very annoying, although I liked Artie, but the biggest problem is there is no need for them in the episode (and retrospectively, the end of the last episode). Gaiman is usually good at writing children (Coraline, The Graveyard Book) so I'm surprised by the result here.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
So instead of cybermats we have cyber-roaches?
I thought "cybergnats" was a shoo-in.
I thought The Doctor said "Cybermites" but either one works.
In my defense, I posted before he said "Cybermites".

Cybermites flows off the tongue better than the other two options.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
On the good side, the new Cybes were impressive, their abilities mostly improvements (I actually pitched fast Raston-like Cybes in 1994, for what eventually changed monsters and became the Sontaran story Lords of The Storm), though the detachable parts reminded me most of Kryten in the Terrorform episode of Red Dwarf), and Warwick Davis was good.
At least Kryten's hand only crawled up Dave's pants. It didn't kill anyone.

It seemed like only that one Cyberman had the weird abilities, or at least it's the only one that used them, no?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:23 PM   #81
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
It seemed like only that one Cyberman had the weird abilities, or at least it's the only one that used them, no?
I think it was, but since it was the first one of the new design, it was obviously meant to represent what they could all do.

And I do like the new abilities - albeit mainly cos they're ones I've often said before that they should have. (I've said many times since the days of rec.arts that if they're supposed to be so superior, they should be faster than a sprinter, more agile than Bruce Lee, etc - and that the Cybes themselves should logically be more like the Raston Warrior Robot)

Old May 12 2013, 01:31 PM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

It was okay. Entertaining, but not awesome. Again, this episode was overhyped, being the season's Neil Gaiman episode and introducing the "new" Cybermen. Despite all the hype about the Cybermen getting a new redesign and being "totally reinvented" they're not really much different. Sure they have a new Iron Man-esque look, can move at really fast speeds and can pull off various limbs for fancy tricks. But really, that's what they are, same old Cybermen with a few new tricks. And those tricks, while cool, don't really bring the Cybermen back to the "forboding threat they were in the classic era" or whatever the buzzword of the episdode was. The basic thrust of the episode is an army of Cybermen marching off to fight Our Heroes, just like in the RTD days.

Hell, we even have the same Cybermen theme playing that was used in the RTD era. Which I don't mind, it's a good tune, but when Moffat took over pretty much all music from the RTD era was abandoned and the show started from scratch. We hear the occasional snippets of All the Strange, Strange Creatures, but the show as a new action theme, new theme for the Doctor, new Dalek theme. UNIT's theme wasn't used when they were on the show earlier in the season (and that was used on SJA as well). Yet, despite all this, the Cybermen keeping the same theme introduced for them in 2006 seems very odd.

They didn't really need to use the kids that Clara looks after in this episode. Really, they could have just used any random kids that live on the planet for whatever reason. Yeah, I get it, using Clara's charges gives her a vested personal interest in defeating the Cybermen, but that wasn't really captilized anyway so it seems rather unnecessary.

The "punishment platoon" of losers and rejects was an intersting idea, but again they didn't really do anything with it. Aside from the trope of a disgraced commanding officer making up for past mistakes it was just an excuse to feature unlikely soldiers, like the scrawny guy with glasses or the fat guy who probably never works out.

Oh, and the twist that Warwick Davis was the Emperor? Totally saw that coming.
Old May 12 2013, 01:35 PM   #83
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Another crap episode.

No real story to it, annoying punch in the face worthy smug children who can't act, Cybermen portrayed as robots rather than humanoids in life support suits, and Matt Smith in level 10 hammy acting mode.

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
These are the original Telos cybermen.
Cyberman are for Earth's twin Mondas not Telos. They just colonized Telos.
Old May 12 2013, 02:13 PM   #84
Australis
Writer

Yeah, didn't do it for me. Warwick Davis channelling Tyrion was okay, but I dunno. Why the kids? Completely unnecessary, shoehorned in. The Cybermen were okay, but the Cyberplanner thing was very meh (kind of like the borg Queen, unnecessary). TBH, there ios no comparison to 'The Doctor's Wife'. Average. Very, very average. There needs to eb some kind of change of pace, but I'm not sure what it is.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:20 PM   #85
Ghost Bones
Captain

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
Also, am I the only one who thinks the answer to who Clara is is that she is a regenerated Jenny?
Surely not enough people in the general audience would remember a character from one terrible episode 4 years ago for it to be that. It is such a dreadful idea though that I wouldn't bet money against it being true.
Old May 12 2013, 02:48 PM   #86
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
Also, am I the only one who thinks the answer to who Clara is is that she is a regenerated Jenny?
Surely not enough people in the general audience would remember a character from one terrible episode 4 years ago for it to be that. It is such a dreadful idea though that I wouldn't bet money against it being true.
Judging from rumors referencing "City of Death", mentioning paradoxes resolve themselves in "Hide", and the recent trailer it looks like she uses the TARDIS to splinter herself in time creating a paradox that will resolve itself. Most likely in a similar way to how "Bender's Big Score" delt with it (e.g. kill off paradox clones).
Old May 12 2013, 02:53 PM   #87
Lonemagpie
Writer

The leaked synopsis is correct, going by everything - especially the trailers - we've seen so far.

Old May 12 2013, 03:00 PM   #88
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Not sure where some of you are coming from. Thought it was miles better than Rise of the Cybermen, Doomsday, The Next Doctor and Closing Time. Quite liked it. Kids were irritating though, as was the sentimentality. Wish one of the kids died or was gruesomely converted ala Attack of the Cybermen.

The finale will likely be disappointing so I think it's safe to say Mark Gatiss has won Series 7. His 2 episodes have been my favourites.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 03:07 PM   #89
Procutus
Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Last week was a waste of Diana Rigg. This week was just a waste.

After reading a lot of the above comments, I'm beginning to be glad that I didn't make it home in time to see this after all!

I'll still watch it at some point, but I get the feeling that it's going to be a bit of a disappointment. Which leads me to wonder if next week's finale is also just going a bunch of hype that it can't possibly live up to.
Old May 12 2013, 04:01 PM   #90
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

It was insanely overhyped as the episode that would make the Cybermen scary again but it didn't really deliver. They're only slightly less shit than the RTD ones and the resemblence to Iron Man is pretty annoying.

Hasn't been a great TV Cybermen story since The Invasion. Though I do like Earthshock and Attack.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote