TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 11 2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Kpnuts
Commodore

Giacchino/NuTrek theme

Any other people here huge fans of the new Star Trek theme tune (Enterprising Young Men from the last film). Must say I adore it, haven't stopped humming it all day.

I think we're very fortunate to have gotten a catchy top quality tune for NuTrek. It was obviously a tough ask to produce a memorable sound for the reboots but I think Giacchino has struck gold.

Re: Into Darkness, the title card (and what came before but particularly the 30 seconds before) with that booming music is my favourite scene in the, excellent, film
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
3chordboy
Commander

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme

ha, snap! I love that moment in the film...it's a little bit cheesey but magical at the same time.

my missus came to watch Into Darkness with me today. she's not a Trekkie and on our way home she was humming. i said "do you know what you're doing?".... she was humming the Giacchino nuTrek theme. my work here is done!!
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The soundtrack to both films has been excellent, the new overall theme to the films certianly is catchy, the title card for Into Darkness with the Enterprise coasting along is one of the best scenes of modern Trek in general.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Any other people here huge fans of the new Star Trek theme tune (Enterprising Young Men from the last film). Must say I adore it, haven't stopped humming it all day.

I think we're very fortunate to have gotten a catchy top quality tune for NuTrek. It was obviously a tough ask to produce a memorable sound for the reboots but I think Giacchino has struck gold.

Re: Into Darkness, the title card (and what came before but particularly the 30 seconds before) with that booming music is my favourite scene in the, excellent, film
Still one of my fond memory's of the 2009 movie that music and then the titles pop up bloody jaw dropping and still gives me goose bumps ever time I see and here it !!!
Old May 11 2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Kpnuts
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The soundtrack to both films has been excellent, the new overall theme to the films certianly is catchy, the title card for Into Darkness with the Enterprise coasting along is one of the best scenes of modern Trek in general.
Completely agree. I don't really whoop or shout in the cinema but I was practically punching the air when the title card appeared. Incredible, gave me goosebumps. Didn't think they could top the first film in that regard but this one blew it away.

I love how, well, LOUD JJ and co have made NuTrek, but in a good way. As if it was showing off the Trek name with absolute pride.
Old May 11 2013, 11:23 PM   #6
3chordboy
Commander

For me the added warp trail echoed the Classic Trek movies warp streak...was left grinning like an idiot
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Exactly, the transition to the Enterprise and her triumphant leap to warp with the title card actually emerging from her wake was beautiful. Jaw dropping stuff and just gives you the sort of childish enthusiam that's been missing for years.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
... just gives you the sort of childish enthusiam that's been missing for years.
That's exactly what the nuTrek movies are doing - giving the audience reasons to be excited about watching a Star Trek movie again. The movie franchise died of ennui.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:39 PM   #9
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, I'm a huge fan. The soundtrack bits were published before the 2009 movie was, but I kept myself from hearing anything. Good so, as hearing it for the first time in the theatre, just after the very emotional Kelvin sequence (bot me and my wife cried) was insanely intense. Could not resist from thinking it has a slight western-movie undertone when first heard it (well, it's supposed to be a wagon train to the stars, right?) Again, huge fan.

Sometimes I just browse YouTube to see if any talented fans of the theme come up with good arrangements. There's lot's of it for marching bands, orchestras, violin, piano etc... But there's only one that KICKS ASS:

"Enterprising young guitarist" by Matt Blair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiVWCOFOkk

enjoy, as it's worth
topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Enterprising Young Men is certainly a catchy tune, but I still prefer the music from the other movies. You can't beat TWOK's score.
Old May 11 2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Kpnuts
Commodore

Love the tic tic tic tic at the beginning
Old May 11 2013, 11:51 PM   #12
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Enterprising Young Men is certainly a catchy tune, but I still prefer the music from the other movies. You can't beat TWOK's score.
Each of the classic ones and the new ones are equally enjoyable, on their own terms and out of context (although TMP/TWOK/TUC/2009 remain to be my favorite ones). TVH just did'nt do it for me, TSFS was Horner failing to top himself from TWOK, TFF was just really...like...the movie itself.

Rewatched TWOK with my headphones on just yesterday, and man, it does still give goosebumps and spine-chill after all these years.
topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:50 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

Kpnuts wrote: View Post

Entererprising Young Men was definatly one of my favourite tracks of the ST (2009) film
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; May 12 2013 at 11:23 AM.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:45 AM   #14
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Mine, too. I was squeeing throughout the entire film, anyway, but the theme sold the deal for me...that, and Cumberbatch, of course.
Old May 12 2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

When the natives plan drawing of the 'Enterprising God' faded into the ship cruising along in a streaking starfield it screamed classic. So well done. And the title card in its wake and new warp streaks took me back to TOS movies in a way. Rather than dispearing it was a cool little vapour trail esque addition that I loved.

The score for 09 and STID are fantastic. Especially in the opening of 09 when you hear the first few bars, reprised for 'Enterprising young men' and then the kelvin scanner pips. Giachino created an instantly memorable space epic/drama theme for his version of Star Trek. And it worked.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote