Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 9 2013, 09:53 PM   #241
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

^

I thought it was duller than dirty dishwater, with only a few parts that were even worth a damn.

But that's just me, I guess...
Old May 12 2013, 03:41 AM   #242
stj
Rear Admiral

Aftershock....the Chilean Tourist Bureau brings us the feel-good movie of the year!
Old May 12 2013, 06:56 AM   #243
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Saw three films recently. Most recent was The Great Gatsby which I really enjoyed. Before that was Disconnect which was pretty tepid and then The Place Before the Pines which was good but not great.
Old May 13 2013, 04:23 PM   #244
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Iron Man 3 - Theater - Wen't out for Mothers day dinner and movie with the wife last night. So it was a win/win, she got a nice dinner out and I got to see IM3. Unfortunately the wife doesn't enjoy 3D, so we had to see it in 2D. This is my first movie in a theater this year, I saw Best of Both Worlds in the theater a few weeks ago but I don't think that counts as it wasn't really a "movie."

While I really enjoyed the movie, however it left me feeling flat. Robert Downy Jr. just owns the role of Tony Stark. The action set pieces were amazing, I loved the Air Force 1 rescue. Even with seeing it in trailers and commercials, it was very powerful on screen. The whole mantra about the Demons we create was an interesting but I don't think fully realized. Also the character of the Mandarin and it's commentary about living in todays society and the whole do we just need someone to hate, was very powerful and resonated for me.

For me, IM3 while not as convoluted as IM2 actually wasn't significantly better. There was so much more potential with IM3. I could go on and on with critiquing it but that would make it seam like I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I did.

ETA: I have been thinking about what I said, I erred in saying IM3 wasn't significantly better then IM2. IM3 is a significantly better movie then IM2, it just falls flat for me.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; May 13 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 09:06 PM   #245
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

40. Green Lantern First Flight: A
41. Oblivion: B+
42. Iron Man 3: B-
43. Planet Hulk: A-
44. Welcome to the Jungle: F

Planet Hulk: A solid translation of the story into an animated form. The one change they made that I wonder why is having Beta Ray Bill instead of Silver Surfer being the cosmically powered slave that Hulk has to best in the arena. Very solid effort here for a Marvel animated adaptation. Learning from Warners perhaps here?

Welcome to the Jungle: It's one of those first person, hand held camera flicks. It was DDVD it seems. It is about 2 20-something couples who are vacationing out in the Indonesian Islands and decide they are going to track down Michael Rockefeller who disappeared in 1961. Last assumed location was New Guinea so they detour their time there. The plan is to find him, alive, interview him, get pics and sell the exclusive for $1 MILLION DOLLARS. A character even mentions the $250K apiece that is as seemingly cheap for the possible dangers but hey, alcohol says to hell with that...lets go. It's bad and I kept watching cause frankly I figured the pay off of the cannibals finding these annoying guys would at least be worth it. The "kicker" of this film is that as the last ones are killed the camera falls and apparently the leader of the cannibals is a 60-ish year old hunching white guy......OMG it's Rockefeller, still alive. *YAWN*
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:56 AM   #246
od0_ital
Admiral

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - HBO on Demand
Pain & Gain - free admission
Iron Man Three 2D/3D - free admission/free admission
On the Town - free admission
Public Enemies - DVD
New York, I Love You - DVD
The World Before Her - free admission
The Legend of Billy John - free admission
Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX - free screening

I was fifth in line for Ain't It Cool News' big event this past Saturday - a 3D IMAX screenin' of the new Star Trek followed by the original Robocop with Peter Weller in attendence.

I was one of four folks in costume (the dude in the Gorn suit was awesome).

Peter Weller was epic - he introduduced both movies, did post-film Q&As for both movies AND signed autographs in between. I got his signature on my copies of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts One & Two.

No spoilers for the movie.

I did enjoy the hell out of it, though, and already have my ticekts to see the Star Trek double feature at the Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow night (the '09 reboot followed by STID 3D).

Waitin' in line for STID at the Gateway, Austin TX, May 11, 2013
Old May 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #247
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Another Earth - DVR - HBO is showing this, so I recorded it. It's one of a few films I wanted to see. I also want to see Melancholy, Sound of my Voice and Safety Not Guaranteed.

I want to put this out right away, I really enjoyed this movie. I liked the performances, thought that both Brit Marling and William Mapother were outstanding. The movie has a Primer vibe to it, which I count as a positive. I can see why some people wouldn't like the movie, it's a bit plodding.

Lets get to the heart of the movie, are the events happening real or just part of her coping mechanism? After watching the movie I thought I need to know this answer, but after running through my head a few hundred times, I don't think so. I don't think knowing either way would make the movie any different. Rhoda is an unreliable narrator, even before the accident. So you can't believe a word she said or what we were shown. I like these heady forays into science fiction. Even when they aren't the greatest, still gives me hope.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:57 PM   #248
Agent Richard07
Admiral

75. The Darkest Hours (✩✩✩) - Download - A pretty good horror/scifi mix and I just realized that the title has a double meaning.

76. The First Time (✩✩✩½) - Download - An independent teen dramedy elevated by Britt Robertson who plays an interesting and charismatic girl.

77. Your Sister's Sister (✩✩✩) - Download - It's always fun when two strangers hop in the sack.

78. The Bouquet (✩½) - Live TV - Dumb movie with Michael Shanks, Kristy Swanson and danny Glover.

79. Blue Valentine (✩✩✩) - DVD - This is the one where Ryan Gossling and Michelle Williams have "real" sex. It was the only reason I got the movie. Saw the scenes and they were meh!

80. Star Trek Into Darkness (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - Would have been fun if my 80th movie review went to Star 80, but Star Trek will have to do.

"A fun specacle of a summer movie with action, special effects and a bit of Trek thrown in."

You can read the rest of my review here.

Theatre: 10
Blu-ray: 6
DVD: 18
Live TV: 14
Download: 31
YouTube: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:59 PM   #249
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I also want to see Melancholy, Sound of my Voice and Safety Not Guaranteed.
Do so.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:45 PM   #250
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
7) The Perks of being a Wallflower (2012) - B+
8) Looper (2012) - B+
9) Iron Man 3 (2013) - B
10) Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - B-

I enjoyed the movie, but hated the ending and thought the writers became lazy. In the interest of not spoiling anything here you can read the rest of my review here, which is very spoiler-ific.

Theater: 4 (+1)
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 4
Itunes: 2
Old May 16 2013, 10:34 PM   #251
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

41. Oblivion: B+
42. Iron Man 3: B-
45. The Time Travelers Wife: B+

Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams star in this film from a few years ago which I finally got around to seeing. I thought it was a well done film. Probably handled his time jumping and various ages of him appearing as they could have without nitpicking it too much. The wedding day time jump were pretty good. The one nit pick I would make is that he clearly can affect things. Picking the winning Lotto numbers proves that. So when he says he's tried to stop his mothers death but every time it still happens, I just don't think he's tried the right thing yet. If I know I die of a gun shot wound I'm very aware of each jump my surroundings. When I jump into a wooded area and am 10' from a deer, I instantly duck not look back over my shoulder. Still, he kinda still lives on beyond his lifetime cause now he's jumping in a connected manner attached to his daughter. Overall a very solid movie I thought.
Old May 19 2013, 09:15 PM   #252
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Asura (4)
Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman (7)
Beck-Mongolian Chop Squad (2010) (10)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Blood-C: The Last Dark (6)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (7)
Dead Man Down (8)
Dragon Lord (6)
Evangelion 3.33: You Can [Not] Redo (9)
Fafner: Heaven and Earth (8)
Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Pheonix (8)
Gangster Squad (8)
GI Joe: Retaliation (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
Hoshizora Kiseki (7)
The Illusionist (10)
Iron Man 3 (9)
Jack Reacher (8)
K-ON: The Movie (8)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd A's (9)
The Man With the Iron Fists (6)
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (6)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Niji-iro Hotaru (Rainbow Fireflies) (9)
Oblivion (8)
Olympus Has Fallen (8)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Rurouni Kenshin (2012) (8)
Star Trek: Into Darkness (10)
Tripping the Rift: The Movie (6)
Tucker and Dale VS Evil (6)
Twin Dragons (7)
Why Worry? (1923) (8)

Current Total: 40

Last edited by zakkrusz; May 20 2013 at 12:44 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:55 PM   #253
od0_ital
Admiral

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - HBO on Demand
Pain & Gain - free admission
Iron Man Three 2D/3D - free admission/free admission
On the Town - free admission
Public Enemies - DVD
New York, I Love You - DVD
The World Before Her - free admission
The Legend of Billy John - free admission
Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX/3D - free screening/free admission
The Great Gatsby 3D (2013) - free admission
Iron Man: Rise of Technovore - DVD
Cabaret - free admission
The Source Family - free admission
Detention (2011) - free admission
Turkish Star Trek (1973) - free admission

Went to see TGG 3D Wednesday afternoon. I don't think it was worth delayin' the movie for a year to upgrade it to 3D...and the movie just wasn't that good, anyway.

Followed that up with the double feature Alamo Drafthouse did Wednesday night, of the 2009 Star Trek reboot followed by Star Trek Into Darkness 3D with my friend Maeby.

Took three tries, but I finally finished the latest Iron Man animated feature. The style reminded me of the cheap anime cartoons I watched when I was a kid, and it peeved me off more than a little that the audio on the DVD started out as Japanese (had to change it to english), and the subtitles didn't match the audio (when I watch something on my computer, I turn subtitles on), which was distractin'.

Then yesterday was a four-movie marathon on the Ritz.

Was surprised Michael York was in Cabaret, which was a nice surprise. Not the best musical ever, though.

The Source Family was an interestin' documentary about a '70s hippie cult that started in California, moved to Hawaii, and now has more than a few former members in Washington state.

Detention was every kind of teen/high school movie blended together and thrown at the screen with horror & time travel bein' the biggest genre benders. Crazy awesome, and the director was there to introduce the movie & did a Q&A afterward.

And finally Turkish Star Trek, which followed TOS 'The Man Trap' more than anything, but with elements from 'Charlie X', 'Amok Time' and 'What Are Little Girls Made Of?' thrown in. Plus Turkey's own Omar the Tourist, a hobo that is transported through time & space to interact clownishly with the crew.

May try to get to Drafthouse Films' Pieta later today...
Old May 20 2013, 07:42 PM   #254
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+

I was really psyched to see this movie, but was a little let down. I'm not one of those who says "Eww, lots of subtitles!", but I just couldn't get into the story. I did however like individual elements, like the scene in the tavern. But the final scenes, while they may be Tarantino staples, did nothing for me.

16) Independence Day - B+

It's just such a popcorn action flick that it's hard to take it seriously. But who wouldn't want Robert Loggia as their commanding officer?
Old May 21 2013, 07:37 PM   #255
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

45. The Time Travelers Wife: B+
46. Star Trek into Darkness: A-
47. The Lost Tomb of Jesus: B

STiD: I don't have the patience to delve into the actual grade thread in the proper forum. So much nit picking in the build up alone to release I can only imagine what's going on now. Suffice to say I found that once again the PR of Cumberbatch "he's not who you think" fell through as dynamically as for 3yrs them telling us we had't figured out LOST. This attempt at subterfuge should die. I did enjoy the film. The Klingon look wasn't that too far removed from what we expected. Not sure the helmets added anything imo. I actually got a Predator vibe.

Lost Tomb of Jesus: In this 1hr45min Discover Channel documentary Executive Produced by James Cameron they trace the probability that a burial tomb unearthed in Israel in 1980 during construction for some apartments could be that of Jesus of Nazareth. What I found interesting was that for the whole documentary he's never referred to as Jesus Christ, always Jesus of Nazareth. Now regardless of ones spiritual leanings I think if you are of a historical curious person you might find this an interesting viewing. The Bible as a historical record is still part of our history and Jesus has had a big impact ever since. The brush up against possible ramifications if the bones found in one of the ossuaries (crypts) is actually Jesus and explain how they could be and still allow for those connected to the faith aspect to be in tact. There are speculations regarding Mary Magdalene and ties to a child that died young also found in the Tomb. As well as an ossuary for one of Jesus' brothers, which was a unique spelling. I enjoyed it from multiple perspectives but could see how it would upset the bedrock believer perhaps.