Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 03:56 AM   #46
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Anyone watched the making of Nightmare in Silver? Cyber-macarena, deadliest cyber weapon of all time.
Was this on BBC?
Old May 12 2013, 04:01 AM   #47
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
intrinsical wrote: View Post
Anyone watched the making of Nightmare in Silver? Cyber-macarena, deadliest cyber weapon of all time.
Was this on BBC?
Yeah, here maybe around 2:40 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018w9s1
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:04 AM   #48
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

I liked it a lot... reading this thread really makes me wonder yet again why some people watch shows they seemingly detest so much. I weary of the debates before they even begin.

Despite being a Red Sox fan, I guess I'm not that masochistic.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:49 AM   #49
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Gave it an Excellent myself. Primarily for the stuff from Smith and Davies, loved the Doctor-v-Doctor stuff and the hidden emperor. I caught the bits of 10 really easily, but missed any references to 9 or others, where were they?

Clara's stuff was fun and entertaining - her scenes with Smith particularly, I do love the ship teasing - but she did seem to slip into commading way easily. The kids were... well, I'm glad they were in a coma for most of it. The girl especially.

Overall another really good episode from Gaiman, albeit not on the lever of The Doctor's Wife but that's quite alright. Looking forward to more Victorians next week!
Old May 12 2013, 04:59 AM   #50
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Since Warwick Davies didn't activate the bomb as soon as the Cybermen showed up, doesn't that make all the deaths his fault?
Old May 12 2013, 05:18 AM   #51
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Since Warwick Davies didn't activate the bomb as soon as the Cybermen showed up, doesn't that make all the deaths his fault?
Either activating it right away would have left people behind (if they only transmat people around the emperor), or it would have brought partially-converted people onto the flagship. Either one would have resulted in deaths as well (quite possibly more of them).

This may be weak justification after-the-fact, but it seems like the least-bad outcome given the circumstances.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:35 AM   #52
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Clara's stuff was fun and entertaining - her scenes with Smith particularly, I do love the ship teasing - but she did seem to slip into commading way easily. The kids were... well, I'm glad they were in a coma for most of it. The girl especially.
The Doctor's last line of the episode pretty much shows that they are going to continue with the shippy stuff. He's obviously attracted to her. It'll be funny going forward.

As for the girl, the way she says "stupid" makes me think she's the same girl they used to play the young Melody from Let's Kill Hitler.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:35 AM   #53
Gov Kodos
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Either activating it right away would have left people behind (if they only transmat people around the emperor), or it would have brought partially-converted people onto the flagship. Either one would have resulted in deaths as well (quite possibly more of them).

This may be weak justification after-the-fact, but it seems like the least-bad outcome given the circumstances.
Besides, he was conflicted on the use of such weapons. While it seemed the ground troops could handle the situation, he gave the Doctor and Clara time to get the Cyber tech out of himself (the Doc) and the kids.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old May 12 2013, 05:47 AM   #54
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

He was more than conflicted. He was devastated by having to give the order to destroy an entire galaxy, as he effectively said near the beginning of the episode. The implication was that was the main reason he went to hide to begin with.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:52 AM   #55
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
He was more than conflicted. He was devastated by having to give the order to destroy an entire galaxy, as he effectively said near the beginning of the episode. The implication was that was the main reason he went to hide to begin with.
My understanding was that was a thousand years before. They've blown up world's since that usage, and it was that continued use which he's trying to avoid now that's on his mind. The captain herself had failed to follow such orders, which is what put her in charge of this punishment platoon. I'll have to watch the scene again.
Old May 12 2013, 05:55 AM   #56
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

In retrospect though that scene was a good hint about his reluctance to take similar methods, being sorry for who did it in the past. Also a nice bit of connection between him and the Doctor - I was surprised that at no point did Clara learn about the Doctor doing something extremely similar and is haunted by that past. It was all there in subtext of course, but never actually stated.
Old May 12 2013, 06:30 AM   #57
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

Jax wrote: View Post
Average (another one ) this 2nd half has been a real dissapointment for me, I am struggling to care about these standalone episodes anymore I want more focus on who is Clara and The First Question. Season 6 really spoilt me and its changed what I want from the show.

Next week really looks like it should be a 2 parter, why after all the build up with the Silence and leading into the whole question arc would Moffat give the resolution to it only 1 episode
Do you really expect "Plot-Hole" Moffat to give us any resolution next week?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the answer to who Clara is is that she is a regenerated Jenny?
Old May 12 2013, 06:52 AM   #58
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post

Do you really expect "Plot-Hole" Moffat to give us any resolution next week?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the answer to who Clara is is that she is a regenerated Jenny?
That crossed my mind and it would be interesting, but I don't think so.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:53 AM   #59
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Meh. It wasn't offensively bad, but I just didn't care. It's like these episodes are simply fanwank just to appease the nerds and not entertain anymore. The big sister ticked me off to no end, what a brat.

That's just the problem with this season and even partially season six, I just don't care, there's no large story for me to get behind, the characters are flat, and the Doctor is acting more and more hypocritical. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Moffatt wows me in the end but I have little faith in it now.

Oh, and the obvious Borg look just annoyed me. They're stealing from Star Trek now? Blatantly even?
Old May 12 2013, 07:40 AM   #60
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Three out of five. (IM3 is my favourite of shell-head's solo movies and would get four at least.)

The rather narcissistic and possibly borderline sociopathic Angie didn't do my enjoyment of the episode too many favours, though that's a judgement of the character and not the actress. Props to the Doctor and Clara for the statutory kidnapping and nearly getting her killed. Better luck next time.

Didn't like the thing with the destroyed galaxy, as a supposedly science fictional show ought at least to demonstrate a rudimentary knowledge of science and recognise that if a galaxy is x hundred thousand light years away then you're seeing it as it was x hundred thousand years ago.

Anyway, kids and dodgy science aside it was an enjoyable enough romp, made better by the Doctor's chess game and Warwick Davis' very robust turn as Porridge. Not anywhere in the same league as The Doctor's Wife and surprisingly pedestrian in tone and direction considering its authorship, but still a decent episode with some very nice visuals and a sense of fun.

Last edited by Wereghost; May 12 2013 at 08:18 AM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote