RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,558
Posts: 5,513,877
Members: 25,146
Currently online: 578
Newest member: TM2-Megatron

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12 2013, 12:23 AM   #181
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Gojira wrote: View Post
I may be one of those rare fans who has zero interest in star dates.
Honestly, I've never paid much attention to them either. Ditto registry numbers, rank insignia, deck numbers,and all that trivia. I mean, sure, I'll try to get them right when I working on a new book, because otherwise I'll hear about it, but I'm much more interested in the stories and characters than memorizing lots of imaginary facts and figures.

Nimoy had it right the first time. Star Trek is not an encyclopedia; it's a backdrop for telling engaging stories.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:44 AM   #182
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Avro Arrow's Avatar
 
Location: Secret Arctic Base
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Well, clearly the 20th Century we lived in and the one that is in Star Trek's past are not the same, and never really have been.
Star Trek was meant to be our future. Which is why, when its speculation about what the future will be is shown to be wrong, it should be ignored.
I dunno, I tend to agree with Mysterion that Trek's timeline/universe/whatever is not the same as ours.

The most compelling argument for this in TOS itself is "Assignment: Earth". The Enterprise travels back in time to the same year that the episode aired in, and both superpowers were launching orbital nuclear weapons platforms in that period. This wasn't the writers speculating on the future; this was them setting a story in their present and having something happen that they knew wasn't happening in reality. That pretty much cements the fact that Star Trek's 1968 was not the same as ours, and deliberately so.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:28 AM   #183
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Science fiction doesn't predict the future (except by chance). SF imagines a future.

And I side with the view that TOS timeline isn't ours. Even TOS' past differs. Edith Keeler in TCOTEOF makes reference to wanting to see a Clark Gable movie in 1930. In 1930 Gable was little more than a bit player and certainly not yet recognized as a "star."
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:09 AM   #184
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Well, clearly the 20th Century we lived in and the one that is in Star Trek's past are not the same, and never really have been.
Star Trek was meant to be our future. Which is why, when its speculation about what the future will be is shown to be wrong, it should be ignored.
I dunno, I tend to agree with Mysterion that Trek's timeline/universe/whatever is not the same as ours.

The most compelling argument for this in TOS itself is "Assignment: Earth". The Enterprise travels back in time to the same year that the episode aired in, and both superpowers were launching orbital nuclear weapons platforms in that period. This wasn't the writers speculating on the future; this was them setting a story in their present and having something happen that they knew wasn't happening in reality. That pretty much cements the fact that Star Trek's 1968 was not the same as ours, and deliberately so.
Disagree strongly. Despite the nuclear test ban treaty, lots of people then and since believed that nukes really were put in orbit. That general belief, fueled by the oft-stated willingness on both sides to retaliate in full to use of atomics and the general 'he who controls space controls the world' spiel that had been with us awhile at that point, all fed into this suspicion.

Part of this was because of Project Icarus, which was the idea of using nukes to deflect or destroy big rocks headed our way (sounds as relevant as ever lately.) This whole notion formed the backstory for the insanely shitty movie METEOR.

Also, if nukes had gotten put up there by both sides, it would cause one helluva panic if discovered. So it would behoove all parties to not inform on each other, and thus maintain a conspiracy of silence. That's the kind of thing which does happen on occasion in history, with the truth only coming out much later after most or all of the principals are dead, perhaps not until much closer to TREK's time if records were sealed and suppressed.

With all that in mind, these hidden/secret aspects of 1968 referenced in A:E would fit right in with making the year important enough for them to timetravel to witness (although you'd also wonder if they looked in on Eugenicists & genetic scientist folk as well as a guy who would have been a teenager around that time named Khan Singh.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:25 AM   #185
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Well, clearly the 20th Century we lived in and the one that is in Star Trek's past are not the same, and never really have been.
Star Trek was meant to be our future. Which is why, when its speculation about what the future will be is shown to be wrong, it should be ignored.
I dunno, I tend to agree with Mysterion that Trek's timeline/universe/whatever is not the same as ours.

The most compelling argument for this in TOS itself is "Assignment: Earth". The Enterprise travels back in time to the same year that the episode aired in, and both superpowers were launching orbital nuclear weapons platforms in that period. This wasn't the writers speculating on the future; this was them setting a story in their present and having something happen that they knew wasn't happening in reality. That pretty much cements the fact that Star Trek's 1968 was not the same as ours, and deliberately so.
Nope, it's just a plot point to drive the action. Nothing I've read indicates they saw A:E or Star Trek as happening in an alternate reality. The whole idea of the show was to postulate on our future.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Science fiction doesn't predict the future (except by chance). SF imagines a future.

And I side with the view that TOS timeline isn't ours. Even TOS' past differs. Edith Keeler in TCOTEOF makes reference to wanting to see a Clark Gable movie in 1930. In 1930 Gable was little more than a bit player and certainly not yet recognized as a "star."
That's just poor research and easily ignored.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:30 AM   #186
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:54 AM   #187
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

I'm also one that doesn't see Trek as our future.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 06:01 AM   #188
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.

And I don't that much about making everything "fit". Alternate reality is a cop out.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:23 AM   #189
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.
How must Space: 1999 fans feel, then?

This didn't used to be true, but vintage sci-fi is now full of TV shows and movies whose far-flung future settings have been passed by the real calendar. We just have to accept them as contained stories in their own unique time.

It might even be fun to compile a list one of these days. Offhand I can think of:

The Omega Man, set in 1977.
Lost in Space, set in 1997.
2001: A Space Odyssey.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:57 AM   #190
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.

And I don't that much about making everything "fit". Alternate reality is a cop out.
Then I don't see how you can enjoy much science fiction at all. I can easily accept it on its own terms knowing full well our reality isn't happening or going to happen as depicted onscreen or on the page.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 11:36 AM   #191
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

It isn't even a science fiction thing. If fiction were just reality spelled out, it would be extremely unsatisfactory not to be able to verify from the news how Jack Bauer yesterday blew up two skyscrapers in order to prevent a terrorist strike...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:01 AM   #192
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.

And I don't that much about making everything "fit". Alternate reality is a cop out.
Then I don't see how you can enjoy much science fiction at all. I can easily accept it on its own terms knowing full well our reality isn't happening or going to happen as depicted onscreen or on the page.
Again it goes back to author intent. When I first saw TOS back in the 60s it was supposed to be our future. That was how it was presented and intended. No one writing Trek in the 60's was creating an alternate reality. Same for other shows, films and prose. 2001 was our future too as was Space: 1999. That by 1999 or 2001 the technology and events depicted never came to pass doesn't change that. One of the driving forces of SF is postulating on our future. Thats was Star Trek was up to in the 60s and TNG/DS9/VOY were in the 80s and 90s. The "history" of the 20th Century, aside from a few minor tweaks, is our history.

I get the fannish need to organize, categorize and rationalize Star Trek so that every second that was aired "counts, but the folks in charge have never taken that tack. For them Star Trek was a work in progress and things that didn't work or no longer fit were set aside. I simply follow that lead.

Timo wrote: View Post
It isn't even a science fiction thing. If fiction were just reality spelled out, it would be extremely unsatisfactory not to be able to verify from the news how Jack Bauer yesterday blew up two skyscrapers in order to prevent a terrorist strike...

Timo Saloniemi
That's a bit different, as Star Trek takes place in the future. There is no real reason it has to present a "past" significantly different than our reality.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:41 AM   #193
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
When I first saw TOS back in the 60s it was supposed to be our future. That was how it was presented and intended. No one writing Trek in the 60's was creating an alternate reality.
I never really got that feeling. I do think that those writing SF often likely try to project something of what they think or feel, but I doubt many absolutely believe they are being definitive or predictive. If one has lived long enough I think you realize that that becomes a fool's errand. There are too many variables you simply cannot foresee.

From Star Trek I got the sense the creator's imagined that this could possibly be us, but in a greater sense rather than the definitive sense. Star Trek was a depiction of an idea rather than a prediction.

That said I certainly don't mean to discount or dismiss what you're saying or how you perceive it.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:34 AM   #194
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

I don't think they were trying to predict the future, just postulating what the future might be like and building stories around that.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 03:50 AM   #195
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.

And I don't that much about making everything "fit". Alternate reality is a cop out.
Then I don't see how you can enjoy much science fiction at all. I can easily accept it on its own terms knowing full well our reality isn't happening or going to happen as depicted onscreen or on the page.
Sure, but shouldn't any new Trek be about the possibilities of our own future? Otherwise, doesn't it just become escapist fantasy?
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
This didn't used to be true, but vintage sci-fi is now full of TV shows and movies whose far-flung future settings have been passed by the real calendar. We just have to accept them as contained stories in their own unique time.

It might even be fun to compile a list one of these days. Offhand I can think of:

2001: A Space Odyssey.
I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but I don't believe the year is actually mentioned at any point in the film. It still seems to me a relevent view of our possible future. The most out-of-date aspect of the film probably isn't the year of the title, but the Cold War stuff with the Russians on that space station.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
book, chronology, dates, okuda, timeline

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.